Losing culture?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Cruzeiro, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JimK

JimK Member

Mar 9, 2008
    WaldoKC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

Out of all the analysis and commentary, Jeff I think you just nailed the problem.

2. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yup .... even Kai has quit smiling out there...

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't felt this bad about the state of the Wizards since HSG put the team up for sale.

4. KC Cruzeiro

KC Cruzeiro New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    I heard Davy B on the radio today saying the Escobar wasn't able to overcome the language barrier and that was a big part of him being let go.
    Really!?! I thought it was his tactictal barrier that that was the problem.
    The constant spinning is what drives me crazy.
    How bout you just say, he wasn't the player we were hoping he would be...he had trouble grasping a lot of the concepts we were giving him. He's a terrific athletic tallent but he was unable to put it together on the field. Or you could say, he was really dumb and lazy as hell.
    Did he not speak Spanish when you signed him?

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an interview in the paper today and Conrad talks about how Escobar didnt make the slightest effort to learn any English at all even though all his teammates spoke and how it made it very difficult to play with him.

Yes, he spoke Spanish when he signed him but I would think if you were playing on a team with all English speakers that you would at least make an effort to learn some basic words used on the field to communicate with your teammates. Over the last 3 months, he could have learned several words to help him communicate on the field.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't both have been a problem? I know what you're saying about the double speak, but it likely wasn't just one or the other, it was likely a combination of the two. Especially in light of Conrad's quote from yesterday's article, emphasis mine.
    http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/05/2064774/soft-goals-scored-on-wizards-hard.html

7. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    If we're talking American coaches and who might be available in the future, if I had the funds I'd pay Bob Bradley just about anything to come help us here. More than a DP. I'm guessing he wants to maybe try his hand in Europe if he could - to be the first to break that barrier.

He's not a miracle worker, but he'd have instant name recognition with fans in the city, a draw on his own in some respects for both fans and new players.

8. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    agree absolutely with BB, though for his own good he needs to go abroad fail there and come back with a new concept of how a model can be applied to developing a team and winning the league.

9. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    If I recall wasn't there rumblings about Onalfo losing the faith of the team last year. then there was a retooling of the team, and then a changing of the captain. Maybe its the players, and more specifically the vets who are still around? Maybe they aren't buying into it. Alot of them have been through 4 coaches, Gansler, Bliss, Onalfo, and now Vermes. Yet they still remain. I could see how they might feel "above the law". When was the last time they had to fight for starting spot, rather than not losing one. Maybe they think that the team, their team, the team that they have fought to get on and have been on for the majority if not their whole career, is bigger than the club, that they are indeed the club.

the preceeding statement is a conspiracy theory and does not represent the views of the poster any similarity to the truth is pure coincidence.

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was interesting to me that Conrad was not the captain when Arnaud was out suspended.

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been that way all season. Either Wolff or Auvray have been captain when Arnaud hasn't been on the field.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know that. I just find it interesting that the trend continues.

13. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I know that I have created some friction on the board with my ... however, I agree with your assessment.

14. KC Cruzeiro

KC Cruzeiro New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    I think maybe JC and the off season trade talk has a lot to do with this. That aside, he's still probably the best option.

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    just some random stuff that I meant to comment on but didn't have the time.
    disagree. The draft pick isn't what it used to be. This years draft is doing quite well, but with no reserve leauge to build talet, then your picks must be more precise if not then they are a bust and an achor on your team because of the cap, until they are let loose.

Suggesting that there are both new additions both tenured in the leauge and rookies who are having a hard time paying there dues.........Not that in priciple they are wrong(it could hinder their development, but the cream will rise) but it is a plateau of the learning curve coming out of college in the professional ranks. It is that confidence of professionalism that is entitled to those who go to college (better or worse). Hope it doesn't take a long time for them to learn that the lessons of true professionalism are yet to be learned. For chiefs fans around here we will remember Vermil telling L. Johnson to take the diapers off. Hence the reference..... In short quit ya bitchin and get too work.

Nothing new there, at least he is acknowledged now, it wasn't always the case, he also gets an easy pass for the first of the season with the massive influx of new players. No doubt it will take a while for a team to gell. That time is now for some people and growing shorter for everyone else.

and...........

As far as formations go we don't get to see enough 4-3-3. Neither smith or any other mid we have put on the right is effective enough. Smith and Arnaud on the wings are optimal as of right now. The center has to be either Kei, Teal, or any other ST we kind find. We lack an attacking mid if you throw Hirsig, Auvray, and Jewsbury out there I don't hink we would give very many goals, but little are scored either. An attacking minded two way mid with Auvray and Hirsig behind them. Smith is the attacking winger and not much more a liability without support. Jewsbury is not the destroyer d-mid nor the collect and quick pass to an attacking safe spot that we need.(M.Bradley). He is #3 on my c-mid depth chart.

In the end formations and what ifs will always be thought about. The best place to get those are here. That is why this place for the discussion of soccer in this country has moved to bigsoccer.

16. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went the other way... he slapped it down into his foot and biked it back into the goal over his own head.

But yes, it was fantastic.

19. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh that's right...thanks...the memories.

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    That own-bike was really before it's time. Had it happened today, he might've gotten Kei Kamara like exposure with it.

21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm so glad we can laugh about these things now.

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tragedy+Time = Comedy (Woody Allen)

23. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I have heard this and read it often: "If you don't laugh, you'll cry." Seems appropriate this season...Woody Allen is correct.

24. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but are tre parker and matt stone right and it takes 25 years for it to become funny?...after all Nixon is funny bow....and they somehow made AIDS funny in Team America:eek:

25. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually it became funny in 02 ;).. "Jared Has Aides"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Has_Aides

used to be a big South Park fan, but the show has been crap now for over 2 seasons. the need to kill its before it way to late, much like the office