Los Angeles Sol--off season banter, predictions, and suggestions

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by hula, Aug 23, 2009.

1. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Now that "marching to the final" and "championship game" are obsolete!

What do you think the Sol need to do in the off season and/or comments and talk about the inaugural season. Onward and upward.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the only thing the Sol 'needs' to do is make sure that whatever damage they take in the expansion draft is taken care of in the general draft. They could try learning to play without Abily, but that'll probably not be very applicable next season - at least on WCQ dates, most teams will be missing many players. Beyond that, hope that the schedule doesn't front-load you guys too much again.
    There's really not much improving the Sol can do, considering how well they did for most of the regular season.

Oh, thought just popped in: maybe get rid of Han Duan, find a better partner for Marta.
    But yeah, beyond that, the Sol is a top-notch team that should have no problem reaching the final again.

3. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thankyou, I don't feel like Han Duan puts in as much of an effort or as much of a hustle as the other girls do and sometimes I see Shannon Boxx tell her something and then Boxx looks a tad frustrated a few minutes later as if whatever she told Han to do, never occurred. I think Marta gets frustrated with her sometimes too because she gives her decent passes and expects her to try and finish and Han for whatever reason can't finish. It's her job to finish thats why she's there in the first place, if she can't do her job why is she even there? I was yelling out Liz Bogus the whole time. Trade Han in for A-Rod, the coach from Boston doesnt even like A-Rod. She's better off on another team.....

Also our midfield stinks without Abily and our Defense now stinks without Martina Franko,Cox, Falk, Bock combo we had for the longest time. Nonen isn't enough,she's way too slow, we need a faster defender. Falk is the best we got I think.

Also for goodness sakes take the girls out to dinner or something, they must be very depressed now.

4. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little too early for me to say much yet about who to keep and who maybe to leave unprotected - it was a good year, fun team to root for despite the frustrations (and Sol fans know better than the outsiders that we had our concerns and frustrations even before the Final).

We did surprisingly well relying on two true rookies on the backline for most of the year; it's not a total surprise that it caught up with us. I guess the comment I want to make is that Sharolta Nonen was excellent Saturday. My friends thought she was clearly the best defender on the Sol. It's just too bad that we've had to shuffle the defense so much over the last several weeks and without enough games for the backline to re-gell.

5. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I watched the DVR of the game again today and I thought Falk was playing poorly even before she got carded. Yeah, we definitely need to get the defense sorted out. I could live without Makoski as well. I think Nonen is all right. Definitely need to get rid of Duan, without a doubt. Or someone needs to teach her how to run. I'm not making a joke, it's like she doesn't know how to run properly. She lumbers and swings her hips and plods, but she doesn't run like a regular soccer player. It's weird. I don't care if it's A-Rod or Bock or Schnugg or Patterson-----just replace her with SOMEBODY!

6. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009

About scheduling...I don't know if front-loading could be avoided...Home Depot Center has to be used for many other occasions besides the Sol games...Sol is probably last on the priority list...

7. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Obviously, I wanted Sol to win. But, that didn't happen...Two teams in WPS have trophies while five other teams have none...I am glad that Sol is one of those two teams.

There were some MLB teams which ended up with best regular season records...Not all of them won the World Series...Similar to what Sol experienced this year...

8. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned this in the championship game thread, but since this is now the thread to post such suggestions, here goes.

Try to get Amy Rodriguez from Boston. She's fallen out of favor with DiCicco, this could be an opportunity for us to capitalize.

9. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes but........even maybe a weeknight game, it's probably futile to wish for a weekend night, I think Sol only had one night game all season. The 10AM Sunday morning and noon Wednesday games were just jokes. It's like they're making it 10 times harder for the league to succeed, since they talk about wanting good attendance at games, etc but then schedule them at such odd times. No offense against the gaggles of little girls' soccer teams at the games, but a night game might give the league a little more "grown up" feeling, like it's not something just to do with your kids. Doubleheaders are a good idea too, we did get a few more at that game we played with the Galaxy fans in attendance, somewhat. I just basically think we need tons more PR. Nobody in LA has even heard of the Sol, still, and it sucks.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I highly doubt she'll make it to one of the six teams she's currently not on. I DiCicco doesn't protect her (and I will be shocked if he does protect her), she'll be taken in the expansion draft, 99.9% sure. A new strike partner for Marta will most likely have to be built, not found.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 Sol players either waived or bcm free agents today. From the WPS site:

12. Merlin777

Merlin777 New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Some surprises here, but large # of free agents or waivers seem consistent with rest of the league.

Nucleus of Sol team still here and re-signed, so that is reassuring. Can't quite figure out how all the available players are going to land with new teams (either coming or going).

13. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I don't know if any team would want Han Duan...

Heather Mitts is available...But, she will probably sign with a team on East Coast...

14. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I am thinking "free agent" means free to go and not necessarily that some of these players won't be back next year. What about Aly Wagner? What do you make of that?

Does she want to go back to the Bay area?

Update: Yeah, looking at some other threads that is the conclusion of other fans...free agent doesn't necessarily mean good-bye, but it gives other teams a shot at the player. See St. Louis' thread for a nice try at an explanation.

15. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Yes, it is possible that many of Sol's free agents and waived players may return.

Sol may be stuck with Han Duan next season after all...:(

Look at Major League Baseball...Players, who are eligible for free agency, declare themselves to be free agents...Then many of them decide to go back to their teams after speaking to other teams.

I read the St. Louis group...It is interesting...But, people's mind could change over time...

About Wagner...Who knows? After all, did anyone expect Heather Mitts to become a free agent?

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wagner's free agent status is a salary dump. She missed time due to injury (and she's been injured A LOT over the last, well always). LA may feel they overpaid for her services.

17. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think McCall Zerboni might definitely come back. She played quite well when she got minutes. I'd also like for Keri Sanchez to come back as well.

No, I think the Sol will find a way to get rid of Duan, even it it means eating the rest of her contract.

18. ley82

ley82 New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I won't be heart broken if Han Duan does not come back after all.

19. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither, she has done absolutely nothing extraordinary for the SOL and may have been part of the reason why the SOL finally lost.

20. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    If Zerboni and Sanchez came back, OK...If not, I am still not gonna get upset with Sol management...

Read the WPS column explaining "waiver" process...

Sol put Duan on the waiver because it wants to break the contract with her...

Some team could pick her up...

If that doesn't happen, Duan will be declared a "free agent"...

By the way, Sol will NOT have to pay any compensation to Duan no matter what happens to her...

Duan DOESN'T have a "guaranteed" contract...Players with "guaranteed contracts" CANNOT be put on the waiver...

I am happy that Sol is free to pursue Cristiane...Just use the money intended for Duan in 2010 for Cristiane's salary...The problem is that Cristiane may ask for too much money...

21. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the explanation. The waiver rule is a more clear to me now.

Yeah, I'd like for the Sol to get Cristiane as well, but I'll settle for a player like Formiga.

22. hula

hula Moderator
    Staff Member

May 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I would love for the Sol to sign Formiga....I think she was a really underrated player last season. I guess she is not an out-and-out striker, but she could probably play up front w/Marta, plus she's excellent from long to mid-range. She has a lot of pace too.

How is everyone doing? I haven't been on in a while. ;)

23. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    It might be cheaper to sign Formiga than Cristiane...After all, Formiga is older than Cristiane...

I am wondering how many "high-profile" signings there will be...

I think AEG is getting out of the Sol ownership group...I don't think the head of AEG changed his mind...Someone has to take AEG's place...

Who knows? Maybe Sol would try to save money by signing some "inexpensive" forward? Brazilians and Europeans are not "inexpensive".

24. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    I just saw on another thread that Philly picked up Allison Falk and Val Henderson in a trade with Sol. Wow! I am really happy for Val because I think she is awesome and deserves to be starting.

25. LAGalaxyfan1981

Nov 14, 2007
    Simi Valley
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, just read about the trade, here's the link.

http://www.wpsphillyindependence.co...ith-trade-for-allison-falk-and-val-henderson/

Henderson not being here next year was pretty much a formality, but I'm really concerened about losing Falk. She was one of our best defenders,

I gotta feeling this is a move to creat more cap space for some big signings (though I thought releasing Han Duan and Aly Wagner would do that by itself).

Hoepfully, Naimo's got something up his sleeve.