Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Sat., 11/1) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

I'm so glad that this game will be on FSW!

I agree that Faria definitely shouldn't see playing time in this game. Also, Jamil ought to sub for DeRo.

Midfield- I agree it should be Mulrooney, Corrales, Ekelund and Mullan.

Defense: Roner, Agoos, E. Rob.- I doubt he'll be ready for this game though...so Dayak and Dunivant.

BTW, anyone know how Eddie is doing?

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that our guys need to go to Smell-Lay looking for the win. The pitch is wide, but our midfield is way better than theirs. We should be able to dictate terms. As long as the ref doesn't allow the Bad Guys to get away with knocking our guys to the turf without enforcing the rules, we should be ok.

Although "impugn" means: "To oppose or attack as false, especially to criticize or refute by argumentation."

"impugnity" means: "Exemption from punishment, penalty, or harm."

(Definitions courtesy of "The American Heritage Dictionary.")

The Evil Ones should have seen at least one or two red cards in the final match, but Valenzuela clearly didn't want to dish out any red cards in the last match, thereby suspending a player for the first leg of the playoffs. I thought that was rather cowardly of him, and LA took full advantage. Clearly, they thought that they could foul our guys with impugnity. ;)

Wankers!

Will Serna be avalable to the weasels?

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

3. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

Agree with Dero and Landon up front. But, sub in Jamil, not Faria, if necessary.

4. Mglnbea

Mglnbea Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Troy can play, Ruiz won't score!

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Aggregate goals, a wide open field at HDC and the confined space at Spartan will make this Saturday an incredible match, w/ both teams going for it.

Then, on the 9th, look out for a great game.

6. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Quakes will field:

-------------LD De Ro
    Russell Mulrooney Ekelund Mullan
    Dunivant Agoos Dayak Roner
    -------------Onstad

Quakes will sit back and let LA force the action, then embarrass their big, slow backs on the counter with speedy LD, De Ro, Mullan and Russell on the big field.

Quakes win 2-0 with goals in minute 34 and minute 85. Mulrooney, Ekelund, Dunivant and Roner only cross midfield on set pieces.

ERob gets some tune-up minutes at the end as an extra defender.

Faria waves a rally towel on the sidelines, loses his balance and falls over. Conway dives the wrong way trying to catch him. Waibul is out of position. Lagos blames the ref.

7. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes were able to only get a tie at the HDC. Getting the win, and maybe as much goals as possible would be key in dictating the momentum coming into the second game.

It's only aggregate goal with no extras for road goals (correct if needed) so merely playing well and escaping without a loss is key.

The Galaxy is on a streak right now with a win and tie (despite NO road wins this season :D) and with the home crowd on their side and a chance to play in the final in front of their fans, they will go all out to do just that.

All formations and strategies will be thrown out the window since the games count for a lot so I would expect a return of Landon and DeRo up front.

While I'm at it:

G: Onstad
    D: Roner Dayak Agoos Dunivant
    M: Mulrooney
    M: Mullan Ekelund Russell
    F: DeRo Donovan

Subs: Lagos, Walker, or Robinson

Both teams are going to be sure that they will gain the advantage with a win or tie. Whoever wins this game Saturday will come to San Jose on a roll.

Cheers!

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Los Angeles - San Jose W.C. Semi Game 1 (Saturday, 11/1) pregame thread

After the game Saturday, I asked him how the injury was going. He said he would be practicing starting the 27th (today) and that he expected to be in Saturday's game against Smellay. I doubt that that is wishful thinking, but cross your fingers.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You got it, bro (or sis as the case may be)!!

10. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. However, Ruiz is nothing. He's done. He's last year's threat and can so easily be erased from the game. I'm more worried about the guy who was able to score on us three times in the last two games. Something has to be done about Moreno.

11. quakesfan10

quakesfan10 New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Bay Area, CA

I'm glad to hear he has started practiced. Gotta crawl before you can walk, afterall. It would be great to have him in part of the game Saturday at least. I think it would do wonders for our defense, but I guess we'll see if he actually gets to play on Saturday!

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is anybody else very, very excited about having troy and eddie in the lineup at the same time? I mean, excited enough to give hope that the quakes could be cup-bound after a shaky month to end the season?

if we can run out troy, jeff, eddie and todd .... ain't nobody going to have a better defense. Without those four, I'm kinda worried. with those four, fish is in big, big trouble.
    Of course, there's no promises on how long they'd all be able to stay on the field. :(

and forgive me if this has already been answered, but since waibel got red-carded in the last game, is he out? or do caution points not carry over to the postseason? thanks!

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be that confident in our defense if I knew they were all 100%. But with Eddie and Troy only playing through their injuries I'm worried. I just hope they make it through the next two games without re-injuring themselves or making their current injuries worse.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and Waibel was red-carded in LA and so served his suspension in San Jose on Saturday. He's good to go for the playoffs.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoops, got the two games mixed up.

i agree with your point about if they were healthy you'd be more confident, but I'm more confident in them playing injured than in waibel and roner playing healthy.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really don't want to play ERob, Dayak, and Agoos all at the same time as those guys are all center backs.

We should see:

Dunivant - Agoos - Dayak - Roner

That gives us our two best central defenders, and our two fastest (and probably best) outside defenders. Speed is going to be important on the HUGE field at the Toolbox. Remember, that field is 82 yards wide, not 75. There's loads of room there and LA have lots of speed up front. Agoos and Dayak (or Agoos and Eddie, or Dayak and Eddie) will have to stay home and play very disciplined defense to thwart the evil ones.

Our guys may well play for the counter, but I'd rather see us pressure them for the ball all over the field. We have more skill at nearly every position, so we should be able to dominate the evil, cheating, water-stealing, smog-breathing, poser galactofilth!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

17. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento
    HDC MATCH vs LA GALS TIKS for free

I have two tickets I cannot use....I am in Sacramento and will be in San Diego that night....How to get them to you? Hmmm. One could pay for next day air or I could figure out something with the HDC people....wish I'd left them at WILLCALL but.....

The tiks are upper deck as I usually sit in the Casbah....and yes WE WERE A MORTUARY SAT night....I personally brought 13 friends who were willing to sing and cheer but don't know soccer tunes....one clever fellow tried to start a LET'S GO SOCCER MOMS, LET'S GO! cheer .... it was that dull for a stretch....Damn LA broadcast didn't show us celebrating the goal- we did the usual flag unveiling followed by a good round of bouncing...Max Bretos is caught combing his hair during a break and staring longingly at his own reflection....it looked like they did it on purpose....it may have been the best entertainment of the night!

18. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

just got off the phone with the Galaxy FO....an Earthquakes supporter section exists, same spot as last time, tickets are $16 plus fees....call 877-3GALAXY and ask for Kurt...

ticketbastard is only selling the $45 sideline seats...

when I called the EQ FO yesterday, they knew nothing about it....hmmmm......

19. littau

littau Member

Jul 28, 1999
    37.3509 N 121.9371 W
    There is a thread about the roadtrip to the game this Saturday.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=78235&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

Bill Reeves has already reserved 15 tickets. Contact him If you want to join in.

20. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I am currently eating 11 of the 15 tickets (although six more have been requested but not reserved), so please buy the rest of my tickets first, and then contact the Galaxy ticket office for more. :)

22. asdf

asdf New Member

Mar 1, 1999
    -------------LD De Ro
    Russell Mulrooney Ekelund Mullan
    Dunivant Agoos Dayak Roner
    -------------Onstad

I think Corrales will be at left mid. I can't seeing him sitting if he is healthy.

23. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

Bill:

I am in for two...check your PM...

mike

24. calcio tifosi

calcio tifosi New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Sacramento
    HDC MATCH vs LA GALS TIKS for free

The tiks are going in the mail (to HDC) to be used by a Galaxy fan I'm sure.....damn I'm disappointed ... no quakes want to even try haul their CANDY-ASSES down there! I would but I'll be working....

If I hadn't already renewed in Casbah I'd be looking at ULTRA land....we're woosin' out!

Lazio had more fans vs America than we had vs Chivas....WE BETTER Wake UP!!!!

CT

Better the tiks get used by enthusiastic folks than .... left in an envelope

25. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

maybe us "CANDY-ASSES" chose to sit together,right on the pitch, instead of elsewhere?

nothing like trying to rally the troops by calling them names....

:rolleyes: