Los Angeles - San Jose (Saturday, 10/18) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Albany58, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add a couple of thoughts to my post above... my morning musings.

One, recalling how disappointing last year's regular season ended for the Quakes, in that final home-and-away series against L.A., the one which (1) enabled the Galaxy to win the Supporter's Shield and (2) set the stage for them to go on a playoff run good enough for them to win MLS Cup, I'm sure the team will use that as motivation tonight and over the course of the next month, and beyond.

Second, Carlos Ruiz aside, the Galaxy has had goal-scoring problems for the last two years now, in terms of quantity of goals scored and in establishing a variety and depth of players to score them. Seems to me that they score just enough not to lose games, rather than to win them (seems even more true this season than last).

Having said that, I have faith in the Quakes' back four and Pat Onstad to get the job done.

Quakes to win 2-1 tonight at the HDC.

2. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Now this is the best news I've had all week...

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right, Doyle-Schrader announced on last week's game that it would be on 36, so I'm fairly sure they will be doing the announcing/color.

4. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Well, like I said, good thing we did our work early and these games don't matter.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our back four, especially Waibel and Agoos, have looked slow and sluggish so far. Our defensive transition has been piss poor. Waibel with a stupid red now, down 2-0.

On the bright side, we have looked creative offensively, just cant finish worth a damn.

Backing into the playoffs again. Not a good sign.

6. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I'm just pissed that an entertaining game has now been ruined by a red card.

The Quakes really weren't playing badly, except for the D falling asleep twice. Hopefully that won't happen with Dayak or Robinson out there. Mullan has been tearing people up. Faria was pathetic on that first header, I really wanted Ching there. Anyway, I like what I see on the ball.

7. SJEarthquakes

SJEarthquakes New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Boston Area
    Sure, Waibel gets a red card with a slide tackle, and yet Alejandro Moreno only gets a yellow for a professional foul! But look where the game is!

8. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    not good at all down 2-0 and a man down... u guyz keep me updated with whats goin on my parents made me change the channel cuz my sis got bored grrrrr >_<

9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago wins 4-3 on a stoppage time goal. They will win the Shield if the score holds at the Toolbox.

No goals for the Quakes since they clinched the West division. :(

10. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    What's the Supporter's Shield made out of anyway, cardboard?

3-0 Galaxy, looks to me like Elliot was onside when the ball was played.

I think we'll look back on this game as a good wake up call. I think we may switch to more rope-a-dope next time we visit LA, they're getting all their offense from counters.

11. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    i feel sick... i agree dred a wake up call

12. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    Dunivant cut his hair and forget how to play defense tonight. Must have been trying to copy Agoos.

13. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI
    i really hope we get our act together for the next 3 games...