Los Angeles - San Jose (Saturday, 10/18) pregame/during-game thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Albany58, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Angeles-San Jose (Saturday, 10/18) pregame/during game thread [R]

I don't know why super-mod Goodsport hasn't started this thread yet (Are you waiting post-Chivas? Too late, then, man, too late). I'd love to be able to make it down there, but can't. Is there going to be a local viewing party?

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 in a row.

I wouldn't worry about missing Game One of the season-ending series with the Gals. You'll have plenty of other opportunities...

From mlsnet.com:
    The Galaxy (8-12-8, 32 points) have lost three matches in a row, and have only one win in their last six outings. The result guarantees a first-round pairing with the League-leading San Jose Earthquakes in the MLS Cup Quarterfinals. The `Quakes and Galaxy finish their 2003 regular seasons with a pair of home-and-home matches. The first match is at The Home Depot Center on October 18th at 10:00 pm ET.

So... 4 in a row.

I don't know if my lungs and vocal cords can take it.

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if I can spew that much anti-LA venom.:confused:

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry! I know I can! :D

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the rest of MLS - four in a row against the Gals from So Cal.

6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    This is going to be fun. Playing the galaxatives four in a row with a chance to clinch the Supporters Shield and give a little payback for last year. It doesn't get any better than this, anybody who misses these games isn't a true fan. I might try to set up a viewing party at one of the Brits if there's enough interest.

7. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes Office should set that up! They've done that in the past.

You out there Wee Man? :D

8. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone going to the 1st playoff game ?

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning on it. My understanding is that the game in LA is scheduled for 7 PM on Saturday November 1.

10. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    I'll try to clear that weekend, too!

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is totally meaningless. Hopefully no one will hack each other to an injury. I was going to come up from SD for this one but I'll make it for the playoff game instead and just save my money, which I haven't been doing much of lately.

It would be nice to regain a little momentum before the end of the year, especially against the team you're about to face in the playoffs. A hard one to know how to play, except to just play all out and stuff it to them, and hope the injury bug doesn't hit you. You can also rest a few players if they need to get healed.

12. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These last two matter so much!

4 in a row against LA...this could put a big-time stamp on our past and future relationship with the galacto-scum and their supporters from the southland. One hopes, of course, that our division champion SJ Earthquakes walk great big bloody bootprints all up and down the hides of the 4th-place galacto-scum, in a figurative sense of course, while kicking their patooties all to hell-and-gone in each of the four games. It would be a season-ending hurt they'd never forget, and one of the sweetest things the team could do for the fans. But is it a realistic hope?

While Frank has brought the boys along to an amazing record so far, it must be noted that the injury factor which has been complicating his job all season hasn't gotten any easier to solve. The starters who aren't completely out are playing hurt. Of the last 4 games, we've had blinders against KC and Dallas, but struggled with Metros while playing Colorado fairly straight up. Considering the relative positions of those teams in the league, this is not that comforting; we can beat the worst, but not teams nearer the top.

Well, LA's one of those worse teams, so on that measure they should be a lot more nervous about facing the EQs for 4 matches than we are. And justifiably so- Sigi isn't getting results this year, and there's little reason to expect that to change. The one thing they might do is take a game from us before the playoffs, which throws the momentum going into the playoffs into an open challenge. We have to take these last two games of the season and crush them; then they'll be easy to handle in the playoffs.

What else is at stake? Well, Ruiz is now tied with Twellman for leading goal scorer. Shutting him out should happen naturally, but lets be sure to enjoy it all the more if Donovan finishes up with enough to surpass the little flopper.

Finally, while Chicago tied up the Supporter's Shield race with their win; both teams have 50 points on 28 games; they have to face Colorado and Columbus in their last two games. Frankly, I think LA twice is easier than Colorado once; Chicago will have their hands full with Colorado and may drop their chance for the Shield in that match.

Bring it on, LA. We're going to give you a season-end like you'll never forget, though you'll want to.

DougO

13. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: These last two matter so much!

Cowboy will be back for this game. He hates that fishin' Fish like no one else! He'll shut him out just like he did in April!

14. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    When you give blood, your body makes more. Same with vitriol.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: These last two matter so much!

When I read this, that image of Troy just chewing the little bastard's flopping ass out came right into focus. Loved it. :D

16. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: These last two matter so much!

Exactly! I think I'm gonna go home and watch that tape to get worked up for this game! :D

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: These last two matter so much!

I would say that Donovan and Ruiz are world-class divers in their own right, with Ruiz perfecting the "dive and tuck into a flopping ankle-clutch" and Donavan perfecting the "triple-gainer complete with airborne neck-snapping effect".

The G's will have the edge, however, with the Diving Duo of Ruiz and Serna, both of whom might just spontaneously crumple into a heap if indeed they are allowed into the Cupcake's penalty area at any point during the game.

Given our midfield's inability to deliver anything beyond the center line, possession anywhere near our opponent's penalty area seems unreal.

Hope you all get [English accent]The Rage[/English accent],

Topper

:D :D

19. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    so bummed I can't go to the games because of my play :( *sigh* but I can come down and party with anyone who is in SoCal afterwards.

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you can get to the parties. Or be close enough to do so. :(

21. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Hello!!! Stand-In!!! Duh!!!

22. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    A few concerns....

1. The term "meaningless games", the only meaningless game was against Chivas.

2. The Galaxy can still win the Supporters Shield.......for Chicago. :(

3. Playing a team four in a row can only benefit the lesser team.......unfortunately, that would be the Galaxy.

4. The worse the Galaxy play in the next two games, the more I will worry come playoff time.

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    If I'm Frank, I'm reminding the players that we lost the Supporter's Shield on the last two games of the season last year against LA. It's time for redemption. If we lose players due to injuries (like Mulrooney last year), so be it. We can't go into "cruise mode" and expect to suddenly turn it on in the playoffs. Rotate guys around, but go for the throat in every game. Landon doesn't have much love for LA. There always seems to be a lot of trash talk between him and the scum, so let's hope that fires him up to another level of play....and Mullen also.

While Onstad needs to get game sharp, let's give Conway one more game in the nets. He's been pretty darn impressive against Colorado and Chivas and I'd like to see if that can continue. Maybe he's turned the corner mentally.

24. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    What is so impressive about Conways' play in the Chivas game?

25. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing. He can get horizontal though. He even came out to the 20 and kicked away a shot. This boys got brains.