Los Angeles Galaxy vs DC United PRE/POST Match Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Knave, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Darn it! I come all this way to visit your board looking for the lowdown on this match from a Galaxy supporter perspective and you guys don't even have a pre-match thread up and running. Well I guess I'm just gonna have to prime the pump myself.

So DC United is coming to town this Saturday. Opinion on the DC board is mixed. Some still drunk on last week's win are predicting a victory for the visitors. Others who are wary of a pissed off Galaxy (that had to sting last week) are predicting a loss or maybe with a bit of luck a draw. I don't make predictions but I expect it will be a good game no matter the result.

Well that's enough from me. Now's your turn. Discuss!

Oh yeah, if you happen to see a group of DC United supporters at the game please remember that we're your guests and that, as such, buying us a round of beer really would be the polite thing for you to do. :)

2. ricksfoot

ricksfoot New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    It will be good to see Earnie Stewart play and to rekindle an old rivalry. But, as for the game itself, the optimist in me hopes while the rest of me is just too tired.

3. Stilger

Stilger Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why no topic?

1.) I think depression has finally fully set in.

2.) For me I have to miss the game for a Boy Scout reunion and miss the chance to get my hands on a Cobi bobblehead doll. :(

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suck it, Knave!

If we continue playing without heart and not connecting on our shots, we'll lose. My optimistic outlook: we'll win it in OT. However I'm looking at a draw. I think we'll see the same lineup we used against Chicago, but I hope that Sigi will substitute wisely.

And my delusion of grandeur moment: Chris Albright will score a hat-trick, the third goal being the game-winner in OT against his former team, thus breaking his dry spell and having his breakout game yet again.

5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Re: Re: Los Angeles Galaxy vs DC United PRE/POST Match Discussion [R]

... and goes on to become the leagues leading scorer, breaks carlos ruiz's goal in the post season record and wins us the cup... hey as long as we're being delusional right? :)

i think if we play the way we played against DCU at DC we'll win.

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Los Angeles Galaxy vs DC United PRE/POST Match Discussion [R]

And if we play the way we played against Fire on Saturday, we .... wont win.

7. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the season over yet?

8. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tix

I have got 2 tickets for this game against D.C. United.

upped deck, midfield area.

$40 for the pair.

pm or email me if interested.

john@tequilajohnson.com

By the way... DC will loose i guarantee it, but the boys will finally put some balls into their performance, since taking a month off for "personal" reasons.

9. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only for Dallas.

We, however, have got to get our sh!t together.

That starts with benching Elliott and starting Torres. Why not? Torres can probably flub passes and chip balls over the net just as good as Kiwi.

Last week was very depressing.

Please, Galaxy, make it worth the drive!

Topper

:D :D

10. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Tix

You better be because you predicted that we'd win 3-1 @ DC.

11. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Since we're talking about being delusional, I'm hoping I don't see Elliott nowhere near the Depot, but knowing the great coach we've got, he will start.

12. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Tix

your right.... I am guaranting this one though.

if they dont win I'll shut up on all predictions for the rest of the season.

13. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It's just a shame we won't be there to peg Hartman with toilet paper again. What a wimp! Bitching about the TP raining down around him. It's his fault.

Oh yeah.. he loved this little song we had for him:

Nineteen ninty-six
    And nineteen ninty-nine
    In case you don't remember
    We'll tell you one more time.

He looked like he was about to cry!

Sachin

15. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    the only things I can think of to say at the moment

- we need to watch for shots from outside the box
    - Inter beat Arsenal 3-0
    - I hope the LA coaching staff watches tapes diligently

16. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you make up a catchy little tune about what happened to DCU in this century?

Make sure there are plenty of words that rhyme with "sucking", "using up coaches like toilet paper", and "missing playoffs year after year".

Topper

:D :D

17. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I get this. Can DC humor really be over my head? What happened with Hartman in '96? He was a senior at UCLA that year. He wasn't drafted until '97.

18. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    this is a sad day, the game is on my mini-game plan and i'm not really amped to get to victoria street.

i think we're looking at a 2-2 tie (and i think we'll be happy abou it :( )

prove me wrong. leave everything on the field. play with pride.

19. Caro Francesco

Sep 19, 2001
    Redondo Beach, Calif
    It's Time for Some Tough Love, Sigi

Galaxy seek to set aside doubts against hot United

Saturday, September 20, 2003

Galaxy seek to set aside doubts against hot United

SOCCER: Club meets to frankly discuss problems and try to build momentum for the MLS playoffs

By Nick Green
    DAILY BREEZE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With some Galaxy players questioning their teammates’ hearts in the wake of last weekend’s home loss to Chicago, and the season seemingly on the brink of slipping away with just six regular-season games left, a frank team meeting was held Wednesday.

“It was just an opportunity for everyone to have their voice heard,” said goalkeeper Kevin Hartman, a Peninsula High graduate. “It’s kind of a critical point in the season. We need to make sure the air is clear and everyone knows what the expectations are.”

Expectations are high for the reigning MLS champions, who don’t want to see another team claim their crown in the Home Depot Center, site of the Nov. 23 title game.

But the tepid Galaxy have sputtered to a 7-9-8 record. Tied for third in the Western Conference, they are all but assured of a playoff spot, though in a league in which eight of the 10 teams qualify, that’s not much of an achievement.

Finishing strong down the stretch of the regular season is important, however.

That means beating D.C. United tonight in the Home Depot Center even though they have won five of their last seven matches and are one point out of second place in the Eastern Conference. The match starts at 7.

To do that, said Coach Sigi Schmid, the Galaxy must “go for the jugular” on the attack and look for a shutout.

“It’s not a situation of time running out,” he said. “It’s a situation of we know we can play better and we need to play better.”

20. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    Aaaaaaaahhhhh! so wonderful...

21. undergroundfc

undergroundfc New Member

Jul 18, 2001
    GALAXY BABY!

i love this team..

didnt get ot see the game (no TV coverage..couldnt make the game) but hearing about Ruiz's OT goal in last minute of OT on the radio was sweet as well

he misses so many shots during the game..some wide open ones(according to radio) but at the end..puts one away..1-0 gaLAxy..3 pts for us..3rd place...only 6 pts behind Rapids..

here we come 6 game winning streak..

a very happy Galaxy fan..
    undergroundfc

22. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    New song for the Galaxy - they've earned praise.
    I tried to post a sound file, but I'm techno-inept.

G C G C Am
    Galaxy, Los Angeles Galaxy!
    G D D7
    Champions win, and we'll do it again!
    G C G C Am G
    Galaxy, Los Angeles Galaxy, We're gonna win,
    D G C G
    Fight to the end, Never give in.

Except I can't even get the chord elements to show correctly.

Whatever.

The music is from the Christian song "Majesty".

23. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Good match and good crowd on hand. Too bad alot of people left after regulation.

Got my Cobi bobble head. Much better than the Carlos Ruiz bobble head. Looking forward to getting my hands on a BO bobble head.

On a sidenote the FO needs to have the giveaways distrubuted at the various entrances, not just in a central location. I noticed alot of the AYSO families were confused as to where to redeem their coupons. Alot of them saw the tables right next to the entrance and thought that is where they could get a bobblehead, but those tables were for handing out free t-shirts courtesy of McDees for children in attendance. I had to walk half way across the stadium to get mine. Oh well.

Can someone tell me the heritage of Peter Vagenas. Is he a latino or greek or neither?

24. HeretiC

HeretiC New Member

Jan 29, 2000
    LA, CA
    I'm pretty sure he's Greek.

25. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    Hey, I know that song.

Can't go to the Vic more than a couple of times. But will be viewing it on the internet later.

This may be the last hurrah for the Galaxy as we know it. Are we beginning to see the same kind of scrutiny and pressure on coaches & players as in leagues abroad, with Burns coach being the 1st casualty? I don't know since I'm new to MLS.