Pre-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes (Sunday, 4/21) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 6, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I'd be OK with that.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #104 JazzyJ, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Good episode this week - featuring...Frank Yallop. They basically went thru his history with the Quakes, first the 2001-2003 period, and then 2008-2013. Salinas called him the most "player's coach" he's ever played for. And Frank said "as you know I'm not much of an X's and O's guy. Just go out there and work your tail off, and when we get the ball, express yourself".

They were all in awe of Hucks* (Newcomer of the Year in 2008 when he only started with the team in July), and then they talked about 2012. Salinas said that if you were a starter in 2012 and the team won, the starters "didn't train"!? Not sure if I heard that right, but sounded like it. Hard to believe that they wouldn't train at all. Salinas himself seemed a little incredulous about it in hindsight. Frank also said, basically, don't sleep on 2010. They ground out enough results and almost made it to MLS Cup. I think he might have even more pride about that year than 2012 because they had to work so hard to grind out results.

Frank still refers to the team as "we", which I think is cool, since it's been a long time since he coached here, he's coached other places in MLS and now coaches another team. He says he thinks "we" have been a bit unlucky and need a little luck to go our way to get going.

* Hucks is apparently coming to the 50 year reunion.

5. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Not feeling comfortable around this fixture, I think we're going to be slaughtered. Quakes lose by 4. Maybe the end of the Luichi era...

Beerking, xbhaskarx and Kaitlyn repped this.
  6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guys were loose during Frank's tenure - perhaps maybe even a bit too loose? Dominic ended up doing to most talking on the bench. I do appreciate that I could go into his office before games and he and Doyle would be sitting there with their feet up on the desk, just chilling.

mjlee22 repped this.
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day and counting. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ebobisse over works without cause or reason. He shluld be dropped into the mid like DeRo. As a striker both were running aeound with their heads cut off.

Its why DeRo was never a regular starter until he moved to the midline and became relevant. If he didnt on 2005, he probably / likely wouldnt be the legend he is for Houston.

mjlee22 repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That’s essentially what I’m suggesting. Move Jebo to a midfield role like we did with DeRo. No one would argue he’d be anywhere as good as DeRo but it gives you another attacking player with high work rate who can score and contribute to the buildup. Right now he’s trying to be both a midfielder and a forward.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #111 Kaitlyn, Apr 20, 2024
    I personally think Ebobisse would become our top assist man if that was his primary focus.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    My only reservation about him in that spot is the same I have with Niko. Super one-footed and gets "stuck" if forced to his right. But otherwise I think he'd do OK.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live video of the Quakes traveling to Carson for this game:
    [​IMG]

15. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    RE: Jebo - I agree with works without cause or reason. When he is moving, it's always to drop deeper to get a touch, but he's, imo incredibly redundant joining the midfield...and it hurts us more that he is no longer an option upfield to play to...the benefit is so little. he'll give us a few touches or kick it out wide, but with few exceptions it's just a nothing look. And he doesn't have the chops to live in the midfield...no freaking way. I have to strongly disagree with a midfield role for him...he's loose with his one touch passing... doesn't read combo well and syrupy as hell getting a handle on the ball and getting it off his feet. He'd be a total disaster...on his best day in midfield it would look like a super loose Rios or Errickson. why would we do that to ourselves. Maybe someday we'll get a quality ACM, but just play Niko, Yueill and Morales....let them build chemistry and improve and focus on the 9 and left side. If Jebo isn't cutting it as a 9, then get a better 9...

SJTillIDie and Kaitlyn repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #116 JazzyJ, Apr 20, 2024
    Jebo already plays mostly in midfield and generally wins the ball and makes a good distribution. Nothing much would change except he wouldn’t also be expected to play the 9 role.

Thing is, we’ve already tried it, essentially, this season, against SKC - Jebo behind Judd, and it worked well. Can’t understand why Luchi doesn’t try it again. Now he’s stuck on the idea that a relatively inexperienced 18-year old who’s extremely one-footed and doesn’t get stuck in on D is the answer to our midfield problems. It’ll take another 5 consecutive losses at least before he tries the Jebo+Judd thing again. Or maybe he never tries it again.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today’s the day! :thumbsup:

-G

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

-G

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

-G

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Not a big fan of Judd and Gruezo starting. Looks like Ricketts has taken TT's spot on the bench. I thought he was out with a knock because he left injured in the previous "The Town" game. I hope he plays but he probably won't.

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Pelligrino taking up space too.

don gagliardi repped this.
  25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'm less negative about that, but Judd and Pelligrino is a particularly bad combination. Pelligrino needs service and Judd hogs the ball / shots. No workie.

Beerking repped this.