Pre-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes (Sunday, 4/21) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 6, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he thought that Vela would be a bad hire? I agree with that assessment, by the way.

But we don't know who else he said no to.

Go Quakesfans!!

Beerking repped this.
  2. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Maybe, but given the start to our season, Vela would've been a big upgrade and possibly could've helped a lot, on the field and in the stands. If Fisher had made the money available, and everyone else was onboard, I can't see why Shawlee would be the one to say no.

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything the Quakes being as terrible as they are supports NOT signing Vela??
    Imagine if the Quakes were completely uncompetitive with their big signing being an aging and ineffective Vela for $3 million a year as their third DP at age 35, that contract would be an albatross for the next few years and make it much harder to rebuilt the squad into a contender.

SeaJayBee, don gagliardi and JazzyJ repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    talk was of a one year deal.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't really know the terms of the deal. But let's say one year. It's a lot of money (for us) to hire a hated player from one of our biggest rivals. From a marketing stand point, it might not have been the best call. Also, we need a #10, and Vela is more of a forward.

I want us to sign a young player from somewhere like Argentina. So for me, this wasn't the best choice. BUT we also don't know who else CL was trying to sign.

Go Quakesfans!!

SeaJayBee repped this.
  6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I wasn't really big on the Vela signing to begin with but given where we are now, having Vela for this year would've at least made thing more interesting.

7. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becuase Shawlee was given a large sum of money to use for this club. Most of it went to Almedya's buyout. He was the highest paid MLS coach.

We will get a new budget soon that covers thr nrxt few seasons.

Beerking repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think if Shawlee has anything to do with greenlighting signings, he'd be all about signing Vela because Vela would in theory give us a nice little attendance spike.

As for why we still don't have our DP #10 when we said that we were looking for one, I think it's still most likely that CL hasn't been able to close a deal on a player we like. And that if it doesn't happen by 4/23 or whatever it is, it will happen in the summer. But as a dark horse candidate, I'm willing to entertain the thought, at this point, that Fish has turned off the spigot. It's been radio silent on the rumors front for weeks. Just absolutely nothing.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Almeyda was years ago, but okay, sure. You mean to tell me that at the end of the '22 season there was no new money available for players, and then again at the end of '23, no new money available, because we're still working off the giant lump sum that Shawlee was given back when Almeyda was here, and Fisher is about to come up with another giant one-time balloon payment that will have to suffice for the next few years, regardless of how things are going on the field?

And it's all Shawlee's fault because he didn't make it last or spend it properly.

Sorry, that doesn't sound right to me. Maybe I'm missing some detail but that is a weird arrangement to say the least.

10. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shawlee isnt all at fault. No one has ever ssid that.

Fisher approved a large budget to cover multiple seasons to Shawlee and the exec team to use for coaching, players and academy.

Hes said so himself. Other members here have been told the same thing from Shawlee hinself. It wad reaffirmed this past few days.

We had to pay out multi millions for Almeyda and his staffs buyouts, weve wasted money on the academy thats gone stagnant and multiple roster moved that were very costly. Like Mensah.

I am to the understanding and id put season tickets on the line tbst Shawlee is going to be given another large sum of approved money he asks for for thr next 3-5 years soon. Which covers players, coaching and academy.

4 people are at fault.

Fisher fie being a cheal balloon payment guy.
    Shawlee because hes too conservstive
    Leitch because hes failed to negotiate players
    Luchi because hes a dollar store bootleg coach.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  11. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shawlee was against signing Vela long term. He wanted him 1 season.

Beerking repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    If that's the case, I agree with Shawlee. This has been my position the whole time - yes, Vela would help us, yes, it'd be fun, but I don't think he's the DP attacker we need right now to build on in the future. I'm still holding out for young K-Mart Puig. Now there might be some intermediate strategy where we sign Vela for a year to kind of help get out us out of the funk short term while we at the same time sign a U22 as the next guy, or start to groom Medina for the role if we think he'll be that good, etc.

don gagliardi and markmcf8 repped this.
  13. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do too, but it just doesnt work out. Time to move one is what it is.

14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One or many of you should ask Shawlee or Leitch why Puldio was never obtainable with Wondolowski on the books.

He was Almeyda's #1 request.

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We paid a ton to Almeyda, AND all of his assistant coaches. And we bought a lot of expensive and sub-par players. Remember the FOM's? What if we had to buy out some of those contracts? That would have been after Almeyda left.

Then, we had to hire a whole new coaching staff. None of the guys on Luchi's staff were in-house.

Do you remember Andre Luis? We ate that guy's salary for three years after he stopped playing.

When Jesse was running the show, we made a lot of long-term stupid decisions. Also, we had to eat two years or so of Jesse's salary.

Yeah, given the way we budget for this team (penny-pinching) I can easily believe that we're "in the hole." And, RottenFish doesn't give a squat how bad we are or what's going on on the pitch.

But I'm completely out of patience with Luchi. And that's another salary we're going to have to eat.

Go Quakesfans!!

16. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weve bought and over paid a lot of bad waste players.

Carlos Fierro
    Andre Luiz
    Danny Hoesen
    Marco Urena
    Guarm Kashia
    Johnathan Mensah
    Magnus Eriksson
    Eric Remedi
    Jan Gregus
    Lucho Abaciecs
    Vako
    Daniel Vega
    Marco Lopez
    Chris Wondolowski 2020-2021
    Judson
    Jamiro Monteiro
    Carlos Gruezo
    Miguel Trauco
    Anibal Godoy

The list goes very long.

We have made bad roster signings since 2014, and very bad ones 2019-current

17. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    so the Quakes problems in '24 are because Fisher gave Shawlee 3-5 years' worth of funding back when Matias Almeyda was coach, back before Shawlee was even the team president (we had no team president when the Quakes brought in players like Rios, Fierro, etc)...

...but somehow Shawlee spent too much money in '20, '21 & '22, that was supposed to last, but he still had enough money to sign players like Mensah, Akinola, Hoppe, Monteiro, etc., but by the end of '23 the money had run out thanks to Shawlee's mismanagement, and there was just no money left for '24 because the next multi-year balloon payment doesn't become available until sometime in the future when Fisher hands Shawlee another balloon payment that has to last for the next 3-5 years?

Am I understanding this right?

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do you know how much Vela wanted?

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Vela wouldn’t help us and he would absolutely not be fun. I wouldn’t want him in on minimum wage. But Vela thinks he should be paid like Brandon Aiyuk.

Beerking and Kaitlyn repped this.
  20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I probably heard the same rumors you did about $3 million but nothing has been confirmed.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not the rumor I heard.

22. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    go on

23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the 100th meeting between the clubs. Galaxy have the huge advantage in results against us at 47-33-19.

[​IMG]

Landon Donovan has scored against us more than any player in MLS history

Curt Onalfo was the first player from the scum to be traded to San Jose in 1997.

Onalfo, Kramer, Karapetyan, Calichman, Lewis, Lozzano, Eastman, Frye, Ibsen, Cannon, Elliott, Califf, Russell, Ching, Mullan, Waibel, Donovan, Glinton, Moreno, Hatzke, Dunivant, Aloisi, Kirovski, Grabavoy, Gordon, Gray, Glen, Harden, McDonald, Gargan, Bingham, Hoppe and Judd have suited up for both San Jose and the Galaxy.

Osiander, Yallop, Kinnear, Hanely, have served as a coach for the Galaxy and the Quakes.

Paul Bravo and Braeden Cloutier have worked for the Galaxy as well, former Clash players.

Mike Magee can kiss my ass.

markmcf8 repped this.
  24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States