Post-match: Los Angeles Galaxy - San Jose Earthquakes (Sunday, 4/21) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 21, 2024.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every Quakes fan since 2005:

[​IMG]

Beerking repped this.
  2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that the yarborough bullet goal kick was a drawn up play. That takes some of the blame off Yarborough. Judd should've done better to contest that header it was right at him. And Rodrigues shouldn't have gone leroy jenkins... he plays too dangerously... need to cut him at the end of the season. We aren't barcelona we can't have crazy swashbuckling brazilian centerbacks going on walkabouts all game. He went on another walkabout later in the game that also cost us a goal.

Judd really disappointed me this game, I was in favor of starting him over ebobisse but he's just not showing it.

Pellegrino, yuck. Should've started kikanovic over him. Pellegrino had his one bend it to the far post shot that missed, again, because he doesn't have the time and space here that he had in norway to hit those. Aside from that he was pretty useless in this one... constant backpasses from his side and one ugly wayward cross... his defender didn't have much to do.

Gruezo also a huge let down this game and this season... he was solid last season but he's taken a big step back this season. Losing 1v1's when he's supposed to be one of our big high paid leaders.

Our first goal was super lucky / fluky... we never really seemed in this one and were fortunate that galaxy opened the door and let us back into the game with the dogso and pk.

chris thebassplayer and QuakeAttack repped this.
  3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Pellegrino did a few decent things in the game. He crossed with his left foot a few times, something that I didn't think he had in his game. But he disappointed me when he had the ball with some space at the top of the box, and instead of driving into the box he tried his trademark far post curler, which missed wide. I think it would have been pretty easily saveable even if on frame, at that pace and distance. Just too speculative. I'm OK with Benji starting as left side attacker at this point. Or Marie, or Ricketts.

As for Gruezo, I was initially happy with his improved effort in the game, but then I realized that his challenges weren't really serious challenges to win the ball, they were just blatant fouls. After the last Gals game, Luchi said that we gave them too much respect and we need to challenge them more, even if that means fouling. I'm not a fan of fouling for the sake of fouling. Serious challenges for the ball, tackles, yes. Fouling just to foul and muck up the game, no. And Gruezo's obvious foul on Paintsil deep in our half resulted in LA's 2nd goal. He might have been able to do a legit shoulder charge to knock him out of his rhythm but it was just a blatant shove.

As for fluky goals, on LA's first goal Yarbrough stopped Pec's shot, but, as luck would have it this season for us, anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Yarbrough's save went into Pec's leg and the ball redirected on target and with just enough pace to go in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will echo your disappointment with Judd. After his red card, he had shown me nothing. His teammates aren't connecting with him, he is too busy arguing calls, and his movement hasn't been causing problems like it did in his first few games.

Rodrigues is a mess. Too many walk abouts and too often holding on to the ball too long. Sure, our central midfield doesn't help, but look at how quickly LAG was passing the ball and making decisions.

chris thebassplayer and SJTillIDie repped this.
  5. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Judd was very poor. He needs to show a lot more and win his battles. Frustrating he showed potential earlier in the season... He had a good work rate off the ball and proactive runs, which was a breath of fresh air after watching Jebo's disappearing act for games on end. Judd's hold up was just passable but he played with noticeable energy and desire, but recently he's losing most of his hold up opportunities, which will put him on the bench again. At least the competition has lit a small fire under Jebo...frustrating both 9 options are underwhelming...at this point I wouldn't mind seeing Benji thrown in the 9 mix.

QuakeAttack, SJTillIDie and xbhaskarx repped this.
  6. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One of the things about Rodrigues' walk about is he moves the ball up to a position where there is no option for the next pass. This is partly him not reading the space, partly his team mates not opening up (we are always very static and slow) and partly the coaching staff not correcting the situation.

chris thebassplayer and QuakeAttack repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Calvo the Sequel? Did they not learn that lesson the first time?

QuakeAttack repped this.
  8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-galaxy-players-fined-for-mass-confrontation-policy

Galaxy - Mass Confrontation Policy
    The MLS Disciplinary Committee has found the LA Galaxy in violation of the Mass Confrontation Policy in the 70th minute of their match against the San Jose Earthquakes on April 21. The Galaxy have violated the Mass Confrontation Policy for the first time this season, and an Official Warning has been issued to the club and head coach Greg Vanney.

Due to their roles in the mass confrontation, defenders Mauricio Cuevas and Julián Aude, midfielder Gastón Brugman, and forward Gabriel Pec have each been fined an undisclosed amount for inciting and/or escalating a mass confrontation.
    [​IMG]

SJTillIDie repped this.
  9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    According to Luchi, they have adjusted for Rodrigues's forays up the field by pulling a midfielder back to cover when he does it. That's what's supposed to happen anyway. Not sure if it does. But that would be another reason he doesn't have a lot of options.

But I'm sticking to my solution - make Rodrigues a midfielder. He'd be better than either Gruezo or Morales. Wilson and Munie at CB.

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like half of their starters were hurt. What's our excuse?

11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that incident. That was pretty weird. I was thinking, oh that’s a foul! And then i realized no they’re both Quakes players.

12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the first 15 mins, I was really embarrassed with Gruezo’s play. Just plain thuggery. Rosendo Mendoza let him off the hook and instead carded the Galaxy player for retaliating. Poor refereeing.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Our excuse is that we're not very good.