News: Los Angeles Football Club. 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KCbus, Oct 30, 2014.

1. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw an ad during college football that this season's survivor will be "gen x" vs. "millennials" so we'll have our answer soon enough.

2. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The Millennials will quit about ten minutes after they have their cell phones taken away.

bbsbt and mbar repped this.
  3. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And rhymes with Hinge

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #2479 whiteonrice04, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    I was born in the early 80's so I have always been stuck in the middle. I definitely relate way more to Gen X and can't stand the entitlement movement by the Millennials that IMO is destroying society completely. That said people my age don't really fully belong to either group. Some have labeled it the Oregon Trail Generation. Here is a great read on it.

This is an interesting statement from the article to think about:
    "if you were born in 1981-1982, for example, you were literally the last graduating class to finish college without social media being part of the experience."
    We did have AIM though. That was the bomb.
    https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

jayd8888, PTFC in KCMO, 4four4 and 2 others repped this.
  5. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an '82er, so that sounds right to me. Definitely identify with my older brother more who is clearly Gen X. I remember life before the internet clearly. Actually spent a lot of time dialing into BBSes before really getting what was so special about the internet.

jayd8888 repped this.
  6. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a little off there. Friendster was founded in 2002, MySpace in 2003, and Facebook in 2004. There was definitely some overlap in college years for those born in 81-82.

7. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #2482 whiteonrice04, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    I was born in 81 and graduated college in 2003 so I had no overlap. Friendster was not on the map and I have never heard of it and while MySpace was launched in 2003 it wasn't mainstream immediately.
    The statement from the article is completely accurate for me. I was not on nor had heard of social media before I graduated college.

The point was that people born in 81-82 were the last group to graduate college before social media was mainstream and everyone and their mom (literally) were on them. This was definitely true for me.

P.S. Myspace didn't launch until August 2003. So if you were born in 81 your 4 year college graduation date was Spring of 2003 (before the launch of myspace).

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sister was born in '80 and I certainly see how she's kind of in-between the Millennials and us Gen X'ers (I was born in '75, just making me part of that group).

jayd8888 repped this.
  9. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking "The Hippies" destroyed the economy by...I dunno, caring about people's feelings?...is precisely the sort of political naivete and scapegoating that my generation can't really afford anymore. If you paid more attention to what was actually going on in the economy when it mattered, young people today wouldn't be facing a stagnant job market, plunging wages, crappy public infrastructure, crappy healthcare, unaffordable higher education, a housing market on the brink of (another) collapse, murder police, lead-poisoned water and a fire planet (to name a handful of things). I guess it's easy to miss these details if you're still getting your news from...CNN? The newspaper? The angry guy at your barbershop?

Way to not sweat the small stuff, guys. You'll understand if we approach things differently?

chrayatl and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet the easiest difference that any young generation could make they're doing largely the same as prior generations. Not voting in every election.

MPNumber9, sitruc and The Franchise repped this.
  11. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    With all this going on I am just glad to see you can still afford the Internet and the device you used to type this. Priorities.

Bubba1971 and sitruc repped this.
  12. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Particularly for local elections and legislative districts. The hyperfocus on presidential elections (and to a lesser degree, governorships) means we don't vote in the elections which are actually close enough for one person to potentially swing. Usually not through just their own vote, but by influencing a the votes of those we know well, it can often make the difference in these elections.

Involvement in party politics is not that hard, either. And even more influential than being involved on or around election day. Influencing who gets on the ballot is even more important than choosing which of the preselected options you should vote for or tell others to vote for.

sitruc, JasonMa, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  13. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Interesting. I have people who call on me who are your age and they have said I am Generation Y and are in no way like the Millenial Generation. It's funny I am 47 and the "old" people 25 years ago said we were the slacker generation.

14. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every new generation is the worst thing to happen since the last one.

15. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”― Socrates

16. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit. The US had a good run after WW2 because we were the only country who's manufacturing base wasn't bombed to hell. Nothing Sanders or Trump do will change that. Life isn't easy. It's hard to believe, but things are pretty much like they've been for the last 80 years. You aren't special, and this isn't a "special time" in history. Get over it.

Meanwhile, I was just down by the new stadium site, and the demo of the sports arena us well underway.

20160906_133630.jpg

20160906_134004.jpg

whiteonrice04, Lancaster FC and sitruc repped this.
  17. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Every new LA soccer club is the worst thing to happen since the last one. :D

matbluvenger, Len, The Franchise and 6 others repped this.
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that you will be an LAFC fan is just perfect. Helps with the 'hatred' that's hard to generate initially in manufactured rivalries.

footballfantatic repped this.
  19. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manufactured huh? You do realize the the remaining Chivas USA fans are now LAFC fans right? Believe me when I say that our hatred of you money grubbing bastards is very legit, don't be surprised when MLS brings back the Super Classico I know we won't.

Oh by the way how's that shitty stadium in Carson CA treating ya, we will be sure to keep a nice soft spot in the bottom of our hearts for you guys while we chill in downtown LA, now that has a nice ring to it don't you think?:D:cool:

MARCH_ repped this.
  20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #2495 tab5g, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Best LAFC supporters group name, ever!

If LAFC knew what they were doing, they'd make Kljestan, Bornstein and Guzan their first 3 DPs.

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last of the Goaticans?

SierraSpartan and mbar repped this.
  22. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Some of these generational "takes" have about as much depth as Peggy Noonan on a bender.

DynamoEAR repped this.
  23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... Maureen Dowd, then?

:laugh:

24. ToMhIlL