Lord of the Galácticos - Florentino Perez Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Ananas, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    The Hierro / del bosque / makelele situations were the only ones where we were heartless. Maybe Redondo and Mcmanaman too.

Raul would have been gone a couple of seasons before he actually left had he been anyone else. We had better players across the pitch and we used him anyway, shunting him on the left or in midfield to try and see if he would recover form.

Compare with, for example, Barca and their Abidal / Etoo / Ronaldinho / Rivaldo / Deco / Yaya Toure / Chigrinski / Ibrahimovic shenanigans and we look like a charity in comparison.

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Lulz at the back tracking and strawmaning.

You started off with this...

Got embarrassed and ran from that to, "YS you insinuated!" got embarrassed again and now you're talking about Cristiano which was never mentioned in your initial post. Soon you will bring up Maradona or Di Stefano. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, anybody who knows Oscar or has discussed/argued with him knows that is what he does. If he's wrong he spins or loses it and goes complete strawman. I think this is hilarious, because dude could have just let it die because he said the wrong shit; instead he just continues to dig and dig deeper.

The irony that your first post is literally an example of your posting style is also hilarious. Now continue to give me strawmen or in your words "reasons".

3. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Do these players play for the club or is the club the one subordinate to them? This concept where the club must be slave to certain players just because of history is bamboozling.

4. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hierro was playing three times worse than Iker currently is. His contract run out and we correctly decided not to extend. Sure there was some bad blood between him and Perez but the decision to let him go was the correct one.

5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Except the new contract was agreed to, and he was all set to stay. His performances weren't why we let him go. It was his refusal to go out for the extra lap, and defying the orders of the President.

Umar repped this.
  6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Since you like semantics so much that you keep on jammering about this for post after post pretending you didn't say dumbness: where did I say exactly word for word that YOU said that? Do you see the word Youngstars in front of it? I could have been talking about my neighbour's dog, probably has an equal IQ to you. Quote please.

Yes, two can play that game. After your tirade against insinuating, I would be surprised if you used that as an answer.

Why would I do that since it was you who brought up that Cristiano would get more support? But then we both know why you keep on broken recording about that line above, and try to ignore everything else you said. :)

Couldn't find more than 3 people who defended him eh? So basically you were full of it again. What else is new.

7. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was simply pointing out that we have a knack of keeping players longer than we should by being extremely generous with contract extensions. I love Hierro but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't happy things went sour in the end cause i didn't want to sit through another season of him playing.

8. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    #383 -Fifth CharM-, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Hierro was well past it when the club let him go and the only mistake made was agreeing to extend his stay. The idea that he was let go simply due to not doing an extra round is a bit silly. There were several other reasons.

The first being the infamous Monte Carlo incident in which Raul and Hierro confronted Florentino when the news came out that Ronaldo was being signed and that their friend Morientes was would risk losing his spot. Refusing to do an extra lap, attempting to stop the Beckham signing, and confronting Florentino about Del Bosque. El Pais' Santiago Segurola wrote back then (Google translation):

Here is an article about it. It is called: La noche de las caras largas / The night of the long faces

Anyway, here is an supposed account of what transpired. It matches what was reported by Marca and El Pais back then. It is very interesting read:

"Phoned my xxx last night to congratulate him on Madrid winning the Liga and to
    find out just exactly why Florentino had kicked out Del Bosque and Hierro when
    it was agreed and accepted up to Sunday night that both would continue; Del
    Bosque for a year and Hierro for two.

The decision not to renew Del Bosques contract was taken during the Board
    meeting yesterday after a three hour discussion - the original plan was to
    offer him a year's extension on the same wage as before - 2 million Euros plus
    bonuses.

What effectively turned the Board against Del Bosque was the fact that he had
    hired an ex-vice president, Juan Onieva, as his lawyer to negotiate a pay rise.
    Onieva was ousted by Florentino at the time of the arrival of Figo. Onieva is
    one of the most hated enimies of Florentino. Del Bosque knew this and was
    playing with fire when he hired the lawyer.

The other reason not to continue with del Bosque mentioned in the Board meeting
    was that he had allowed the players too much leeway. This also ties in with the
    events post Athletico Bilbao and Hierro.

As I told you a couple of months ago Florentino and Hierro had come to a
    gentleman's agreement that gave the player a further two years at the club and
    then a testimonial.

This is what xxxx told me last night.

The celebration of the 29th Liga title cost Hierro his head. Instead of a big
    party it was a disaster. Long faces, dropped heads and insults were the norm
    during the after match dinner.

According to xxxx, the news of Beckham's arrival in the week that the team had
    to play the decisive Liga game was the last straw for some of the players, lead
    by Hierro. Hierro had turned Guti against the club and Beckham according to the
    xxxx's insiders. Hierro had previously attempted a player's revolution just
    before the Supercup in Monaco in response to the director's treatment of
    Morientes. The situation between the players and the Board had also grown tense
    over the renewals of Guti and Solari, as well as Hierro's own renewal. Up until
    Sunday evening the relationship had been cold, but correct, on Sunday
    correctness went out of the window.

Everything started when the players refused to do a second lap of honour around
    the grass in the Bernabeau. The excuse given by the players was that there were
    too many press reporters and photographers on the pitch. But everything had
    been prepared beforehand. It was the players manner of protesting against the
    club. Valdano went down to the dressing room to see what was going on. he asked
    the players to go back up onto the pitch. Hierro told him in blunt terms what
    he could do with his celebration. xxxx had placed one of his reporters inside
    the dressing room with the permission of Florentino. The reporter was dressed
    as a waterboy/groundsman and was a first hand witness to what went on.

Valdano told Hierro to stop being an arsehole and the players then refused to
    go to the Cibeles fountain to do the traditional celebration and they also
    refused to go to the celebratory ceremonies held yesterday in the town hall and
    cathedral. Valdano phoned Florentino, who didn't want to answer the call,
    because he guessed what was happening in the dressing room. Eventually, he
    answered and told valdano to tell the players that they had to go to the
    Cibeles and the club dinner.

At the Cibeles fountain, the police refused to let the players "crown" the
    statue of the Godess, but it seemed as if the players had calmed down by the
    time they got to the restaurant.

In the Mesón Txistu, (the restaurant where they always eat after winning
    something), with xxxx amongst the limited number of guests, things started to
    go off the rails. At two in the morning the players started chanting "China,
    china, china" in reference to the planned pre-season tournament of China and
    Japan. Hierro as spokesman had voiced their refusal to start their pre-season
    on the Far East on various occasions.

Valdano was forced to call the club capitans, Hierro, Figo and Raul away from
    the tables and he told them to put their house in order. Time and time again
    for an hour and a half Hierro and company were told to leave their tables and
    speak to Valdano, much to the surprise of their wives and girlfriends.

The result of these comings and goings was that the players refused point blank
    to celebrate the Liga title infront of their fans the following day. The motive
    - the growing distance and coolness in the relations between the president and
    the Board of directors and the players.

Raúl told the other players and Valdano told Florentino of the players
    decision. Florentino was dumbstruck. It was four in the morning and he decided
    to take control of the situation. Standing up Florentino spoke to everyone in
    the restaurant:

“Good evening, ladies, gentlemen and children (referring to the players). I
    ask that tomorrow, although many of you don't want to do it, because of what
    happened in the Cibeles, we put on your best suits and we go and do our duty
    with the Institutions, the people and the thousands and thousands of
    madrileños who will be waiting for us in La Almudena, in the Town Hall and in
    the Community. To turn this into a scandal between grown ups in the best club
    of the 20th century does not make any sense. And I also want, each time we win
    a title, to see happy faces because this is the second title that we have
    celebrated with expresions and moods that do not fit in with winning the Liga.
    I ask that you show respect for the millions of our fans and that you act like
    grown ups once and for all. Finally remember this, take it as you like. In this
    club I'm the boss, not the players!"

At half past four Florentino, valdano and the directors left the restaurant. A
    little later they were followed by Ronaldo, then Mcmanaman with Robbie Fowler.
    The players had decided to go to the celebrations after an hour of debating.

Florentino had breakfast with on Monday morning at eleven thirty - he said,
    off the record, that "Hierro has opened his mouth for the last time..."
    and that "we need someone who can kick them (the players) up the arse from time
    to time..."

As reported in the press the only candidate at the moment is the 2nd coach at Manchester United -
    that's one of the reasons why Figo was called into the Board meeting - Figo is
    pals with Carlos Queiroz and the club wanted him to be an intermediary. Figo was also
    told to buck up and it was made clear that he was not untouchable.

-Reivax- repped this.
  9. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^That is a pretty cool read but sorry, I don't believe it. Maybe am not remembering those times correctly but there wasn't as much controversy as that article claims and if true there is 0 chance Hierro comes back as coach and Raul gets the golden boy treatment till 2010.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  10. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    #385 -Fifth CharM-, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Water under the bridge supposedly; remember Florentino extending an olive branch to Del Bosque last season! But most of the above is corroborated by the article. There are few things such as the private conversations (with Florentino and Figo) that cannot be corroborated but rest has been reported by the press and is not new information. The Monte Carlo incidents, Bernabeu and Cibles incidents, the dinner incident, Florentino's speech, Valdano's argument with Hierro and Raul, confrontation with Perez etc.

11. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yeah it's been a long time, but the story looks about right.

12. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    He won more leagues at Man U and reached more finals in europe.

13. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He also wasn't competing with Barcelona. We can trash their shit values as a club all we want, but they have been a top 2 team for the past ~8 years. Put this Barcelona in the PL for that period and Id bet his trophy haul would be less impressive.

14. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I wish we'd never signed Beckham. I hated the transfer then and hate it even more in retrospect with the benefit of hindsight. Stupid, stupid, pointless transfer. Madrid would have been earning 200me+ more than any other club if we'd signed Ronaldinho and not let Barca win whatever they did with him.

Raul Madrid, J-Mezzy and Zidane05 repped this.
  15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the Beckham transfer actually was pretty good for us in retrospect. For 30-ish million opening up markets in Asia/America for Madrid from which we still reap the benefits from today. Because despite the lack of talent (not that Becham was bad, he just wasn't THAT good) he certainly was very popular in certain parts of the world, that Real Madrid suddenly became more known/liked globally.

That was a fantastic investment from the club. He might not have directly influenced our prizes won, but indirectly he has helped us by us being able to use a lot more money over the years on players. Not that we would have been poor without him, just that we are even richer than we would have been.

16. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yup Beckham, good for the profile and finances of the club, rubbish for the pitch where I would have much much much preferred Dinho

J-Mezzy and -Fifth CharM- repped this.
  17. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Oscar I disagree. I mean Ronaldinho was equally as marketable despite having a face that only a mother can love. By this I mean,everryone knows him and at his peak he was loved by the world. I live in Tanzania and the amount of Dinho shirts circulating on the streets compared to Becks were plentyful.

I reckon madrid would have had the same marketing success with dinho in place of beckham. Beckham eould probably only have improved Real Madrid's popularity within women who keep up with posh Becks.

J-Mezzy, robnycus and Phoenix Rising repped this.
  18. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You're wrong. I'm not even sure this is something that can be debated. Beckham was the only celebrity football player (probably is to this day). It's nice and all to see shirts in Tanzania, you see them in countries like Morocco as well, but they are NOTHING compared to for example China where the notion of Beckham got the women wet.

Beckham was a huge celebrity which gave the club a huge push in major markets.

Ronaldinho was one of a kind, but only with people that actually 'care' about football..

J-Mezzy and -Fifth CharM- repped this.
  19. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    If that is true it speaks a lot about the entitlement players have in the club and how it seems the club is always made the enemy.

That's an absolute reversal of what happens in America. In America the athletes are the "enemy" while the teams (especially the owners) are deemed pristine or above reproach.

Dhajj, RMSocrates and -Fifth CharM- repped this.
  20. -Fifth CharM-

Sep 12, 2007
    A lot of poster do not remember that signing Beckham was what propelled us past United to become the richest club in the world back in 2004. When José Angel Sanchez closed the deal with Peter Kenyon and called to inform Florentino of the final price, he famously said: "Peanuts! They're asking peanuts".

21. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Dinho was known, but even the difference in quality between the 2 players does not come close to the difference in marketibility between them (in Beckham's favour) and that even if you compared it at Dinho's hight when he was winning prizes with Barça. Beckham is still raking in money with commercials after he retired for God's sake.

As mentioned above by Fifth, I also consider the Beckham purchase as one of the main reasons we're actually topping the 'richest' clubs in the world list. While before that, the status quo was Manchester being there all the time, year after year.

Hell, the fact that we even had to choose between Beckham and Ronaldinho shows how it changed us. These days we would have just bought both and spent the difference on pop tarts. :D (yeah yeah, I know we got Figo and Zidane before him, you know what I mean)

22. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    Beckham definitely took the club to a whole different level and the club ran with it and becoming the club it is now.

Combination of Flo arriving and his Galacticos turned it around.

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think they are like any other big club..

They do what's best for the team when the situation arises.

Also you have to consider that these clubs are multi-million (even billion in net worth). It's a business after all
    It's amazing how much power the players hold in football.

I would even dare to say they are the most pampered and entitled athletes on the planet.

Could you imagine how football would be if it was run like the NFL? :p

J-Mezzy repped this.
  24. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Beckham arrived after the cl titles or did he win one?

I think u guys won in 98, 2000, 2002?

But anyway I think beckham was a brilliant move. He soon became the face of the team in the global market and would blame them :p

25. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    After. I think he only won one Liga with us, the Capello one.

4x4s repped this.