Loose Cannon!: Reggie at QPR

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by punintended_13, Nov 28, 2018.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Beer shot is a great name. And surprisingly I know Belgian.

sXeWesley repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who owns the rights to the portuguese league? I'd love to watch Reggie play the Portuguese giants on ESPN+. Seems like right up their wheelhouse.

keller4president repped this.
  3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  4. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I get that he wants OUT of Dallas but it seems like a weird move. Boavista doesn't seem to have anyone of his trajectory on their team. Their domestic players aren't making it even on the U21 team. Even if their new players seem ambitious it's still a lot of other teams' development loans and players without the resume of an in form full senior national at a country of the US's level. The only possible exceptions are Javi Garcia taking his MLS-retirement-tour in Portugal and Show, who knows how good he is.

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"But back on August 14th, I mentioned a french team was interested in Cannon and was talking transfer numbers with FCD that met the Texas club’s valuation. That team, say my sources – a team that has been guessed by multiple people – is Lille OSC."

"The Lille interest is also why I can confirm that at least one of the Belgium clubs interested in Cannon was indeed SV Zulte Waregem.

6. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The article says the long hold up basically has to do with Lille, Boavista, Dallas, and Cannon trying to figure out how to structure this deal. ("Lille buy and a loan to Boavista? Partial or shared buy? Boavista buy and eventually sale/loan to Lille? How much of a sell-on percentage does FCD want?")

7. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Cannon to Lille but Boavista for a few years makes more sense than Cannon to Boavista.

superdave and ChicagoVT repped this.
  8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he plays well, he'll most likely only be at BoaVista this year

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    boavista will you take reggie by the hand?

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as of today it might be a matter of having to play himself out of the transfer to Lille in the subsequent year that they can't do now due to being at their non EU limit. But even if it's their plan, it could hit a snafu if they hit their cap again, which they're risking easily doing w/ all their loanees. So it might ultimately take being one of the best rb's in the league for them to accommodate him over others.

We always talk about MLS handcuffing themselves w/ their rules, i.e.: salary cap, single entity outside hg's, catchment area, allocation orders, etc. But a league like France is as well, by imposing an arbitrary non EU limit, unlike Germany. They could position themselves as a better pipeline to Europe than Deutschland, given their standard is a little lower. Which could also help them raise their level.

11. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    #136 Chess_Panther, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Yeah Lille is undoubtedly alluring as a prospect to bring young players to Boavista knowing that there is that potential ladder in the future. Gérard Lopez is an investor that is attempting to follow the same financial model in Boavista, along with the scout expert Luís Campos. Essentially means that if in 3 or 5 years time, Boavista is pulling up big money transfers and a regular in european competitions, then there will be a bit of equity involved. No more it will be seen as a satellite of Lille. Similar to how RB operate with the clubs under its wing.

This is year zero, so it's only natural that Cannon is only coming here with Lille in mind. Even if that doesn't happen, like I said before multiple times, this league is a big showcase. Even internally our RB went to FC Porto and GK to Benfica this season. I am not expecting the club to be able to retain important players until it's able to compete regularly for the top 2. It's going to take a few years. So these type of deals will be a tad common.

So even if the prospect of a well established club network, plus european showcase is not enough, there are also the likes of shady portuguese agents to always find a better club where there's even slight interest. :D

Btw Adil Rami in negotiations with Boavista. Alberth Elis might be another. Sebastian Pérez already signed but is stuck in Argentina due to Covid.
    There will be more news in the next few weeks, it's getting really slow and quite frankly don't be admired if Boavista have shit performance at the start of the season. New coach, squad with only 3 players from last season, only 13 players available for the main squad and the season start in 2 weeks time. It's likely the squad will only be completed after the 3rd or 4th match.
    So keep that in mind...

12. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Thanks for all the info and unique perspective @Chess_Panther

Always curious how fans of lesser known clubs find their way onto BigSoccer. Are you American and/ or live in Porto and just happen to be a fan of Boavista?

13. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Long Shot at Lille: Reggie Cannon (on Loan at Boavista)

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Closer:

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case we're still under any illusion, Bogert confirmed the asking fee for Reggie was 3 million. Boavista's record fee was for 1 million, and it wasn't for a defender I'm pretty sure. So this is a go-between.

ChicagoVT and Konut repped this.
  16. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good part about that is they must strongly intend for him to be the #1 RB.

Gacm32 repped this.
  17. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #142 KALM, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    If I'm reading Transfermarkt correctly, $2.78 million is the highest fee ever paid for a player in Portugal by a club outside of the usual top 4 (Porto, Benfica, Sporting, and Braga), and Braga have only ever paid more for a handful of players.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who, Lille? Maybe in a year or two, w/ continued improvement, as he is still pretty young. But as of right now it's just a little higher than the transfer value of their backup rb. Their starter's is several times higher, though they acquired him for the same fee as Reggie initially.

They acquired Cannon as a #2/loanee at first to bypass their non EU limits. Because he's ending up at Boavista on a technicality, it shouldn't be difficult for him to start.

19. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Boavista. What do you mean he’s ending up at Boavista on a technicality? I thought that was the proposed transfer all along.

20. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    Goes to show how top heavy the league is. The bottom teams are below mls level. Liga Nos might just be the most top heavy league in Europe.

21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh ok. I knew about the Lille Boavista connection, but thought he was always going to Boavista first. It seems better that way imo, to make sure he gets playing time and then possibly move on to Lille.

23. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Boavista's captain last year was their RB. He left on a free to Porto. Ergo Cannon will slot into his place and in all probability start for them.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #149 KALM, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    They're definitely top heavy. Though, I think what sets Portugal apart is more the quality of the top teams. The phenomenon of all but the top teams paying little to nothing in transfer fees is not specific to Portugal.

Just to take some of the other leagues in the 6-15 range of UEFA rankings for example (all information below from Transfermarkt).

In Scotland, only two clubs (Celtic and Rangers) have ever paid more than $1.32 million for a player.

In Denmark, with the exception of a single transfer (Daniel Agger returning to his childhood club Brondby after his spell at Liverpool) only two clubs (Copenhagen and Midtjylland) have ever paid more than $1.98 million for a player.

In Austria, with the exception of a couple transfers almost 20 years ago, only one club (RB Salzburg) has paid more than $2.53 million for a player.

In Ukraine, only two clubs currently in the top flight (Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev) have ever paid more than $2.2 million for a player. [Two other clubs with higher fees have since been dissolved.]

The Eredivisie is slightly better on that front. But even there you only really have three clubs (Ajax, PSV, and Feyenoord) paying $3+ million for anyone more than a couple times in their history or for a very brief spell. (AZ and Twente both paid more than that for a short period roughly coinciding with their title winning seasons a decade or so ago.) Turkey seems to be a similar story.

Belgium seems among the more balanced leagues, with Standard, Anderlecht, Brugge, Genk, and Gent all spending more than $3 million a few times. Though the tradeoff here is that no single club has ever been as stacked as some of the other clubs mentioned above, with none of them having similar levels of European success in the past few decades.

Russia seem the most balanced as far as I can tell, with a good number of teams spending far more than that numerous times.

frankburgers repped this.
  25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    now that the transfer is announced do we think details about the lille situation will be forthcoming? or will we have to operate on faith for a year or so?