Loose Cannon!: Reggie at QPR

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by punintended_13, Nov 28, 2018.

1. ogshortstufff

ogshortstufff Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020

Seems as if there could be an offer from a Portuguese club now too. Based on which teams from Belgium are interested, I'd guess that this offer is from Braga or Rio Ave, but who knows, really.

schrutebuck repped this.
  2. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1299080071941173250 is not a valid tweet id

schrutebuck and largegarlic repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The 12th-placed finisher in Portugal would be a...disappointing destination.

butters59 and Winoman repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, FCD's beat writer initially reported it was a virtual done deal he was going to Ligue 1 w/ a loan in between?

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...1st-division-side-boavista-as-satellite-club/

Lille, given Cannon's NT pedigree, & FCD's asking price of around a few million, makes infinitely more sense for them than someone of Boavista's ilk. The valuation for their whole squad is about 4-5 times as much as Cannon's expected fee. And he's a right back. My jaw would hit the floor if this is where he ended up on a full transfer. Would have to be the conduit to circumvent league laws.

autobus39 and largegarlic repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i wonder if mls is just too hard to deal with. look at the aaron long example for instance. of those usually cited adams was playing for a farm team and under a manager the parent organization liked, davies was clearly a prodigy. the rest of peoples examples are usually teenage prospects.

7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't know. I have a tough time forming a set opinion on Cannon. On the one hand, I think he's been very good with the USMNT, having looked better than Yedlin (who despite his flaws, has been an EPL RB for a good while now) at RB these past couple years. On the other hand, when I've seen him play in MLS (and with my standard caveat that I'm a neutral who watches a couple random games each week and doesn't follow any team too closely), he's looked fine, but not necessarily like a guy who's clearly too good for the league and needs to get to Europe. I could see a move to a stepping stone league like Portugal or Belgium making sense for him, and then when/if he proves his worth in league play, he'd get a move to a better league.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If those are the destination leagues, it would have to be to the bigger clubs there to practice & play against a higher standard a significant amount of time. Otherwise he's not proving much more, nor making $ for himself & FCD, so don't see the pt in even making a deal. Hines-Ike isn't doing anything now that he couldn't in MLS. He's worse than many non NT cb's, let alone NT's.

Would serve him to wait for a better spot until he out-plays Yedlin again & Gregg doesn't inexplicably bench him when he's about to get over the WP threshold + position himself for a move. That is, if shockingly, this is indeed all it was.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long played for the same club as Adams. They've moved others. Got lowballed on Long, even if they should have moved in retrospect, considering he's lost interest.

FCD is cultivating a similar strategy of being more a seller's club than not, even if they're not going to be pushovers. They recently transferred Gruezo to Europe in spite of single entity coming into play. He wasn't an hg like Reggie.

When it comes to hg's, all clubs have their individual policies, so rep on ease of dealings wouldn't be about the league.

Also don't know how bigger clubs striking out with MLS would lead to smaller ones thinking they could make a deal.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That's interesting. Lille have loaned multiple players to Boavista already this transfer window, specifically these two:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_Cafumana
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Gomes

On 4 August 2020, Gomes signed a five-year contract with French club Lille, and was immediately loaned out to Portuguese club Boavista for the 2020–21 campaign.[17]

schrutebuck and thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    As another who doesn't know much about Cannon, other than people here generally heaping praise on him, I gotta say, most of this is pretty disappointing.

Everyone was claiming he had legit PL interest a little while back, and now it's gone to mostly Belgium, EFL, Portugal, and France.

France would be fine - why wouldn't he be able to play with Lille (assuming this is the team) immediately?

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomes hasn't done anything in professional football, so his loan to Boavista makes sense from that standpoint. It's his starter club.

Cafumana would be in a similar situation as Cannon as a non EU. He's actually going back to Portugal for his second crack.

I think it's compelling. If it's a correct theory, you hope this is not a new loan army, until you qualify. It's better than the WP or really big club ones I suppose. It's not a crazy standard to be one of the lucky non EU's to make the cut the following yr.

13. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    This is now all speculation since nothing has been reported yet. But, it appears French clubs have a 4 non-EU player limit. So if he is signing with a French club, who is then loaning him out to Boavista, that club may be at their limit right now.

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's within Beerschot it won't get passed me - Lille has also already loaned a few non EU's to Belgium this season. Though they were Mouscron, who Lille's owner has already bought most of or is on the verge of. Last season it was a few different Jupiler League clubs they did this with.

So Lille has their own stash loan army system to bypass league rules. I think Reggie's joining this, for good and bad (it's certainly better than getting bought by 2nd rate clubs in 2nd rate leagues). The rumors ever since 3rd Degree's report a Ligue 1 club had met the asking price, his bags were all but packed, but he had to make a stop in between; were likely about the prospective loans.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    thats better than a second rate team i guess, but an international caliber right back joining a loan army side leaves me incredulous

16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well that answers who's playing RB this weekend.

18. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    incredibly happy reggie gets his move, but still discouraging that a national team caliber young rb has to go through a feeder club to get to an admittedly really good top 5 league side in lille if thats how this plays out

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More disappointing if this is the final destination.

22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not sure I'd even call this a step up, but hopefully it increases his visibility in Europe.

The bigger news out of that tweet is that Dallas is giving Bryan Reynolds and his 10 career MLS appearances half a million per year (average) for the next 4 years. Get paid, kid. Also says good things about the future of MLS youth development.

m vann and TheFalseNine repped this.
  23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    yeah this is a glorified trial for reggie if theres no back door move to lille built in. not the right thread for it, but i think the reynolds thing is very weird since its tough to reconcile that wage packet with those appearances when fcd knew for a while now that reggie's days in dallas were numbered.

24. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Let's go back a minute is Boavista better than Barnsley? I'm not sure what to make of this move, other than what happened at the last FCD game made him want to leave wherever asap.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Reggie's headed to Boavista in Portugal. Joins a decent line of Americans in the league - Keaton Parks and Freddy Adu, to name two who come to mind.

Actually, Freddy still holds the record of most club games played in Portugal by an American, at 14 (not counting players who played at lower level clubs). Edit: I'm wrong, Onyewu played 17 games in Portugal, so has the record.

Caleb Patterson-Sewell has most games by a goalkeeper.

Others who cycled through Portugal for brief stints were Kenny Cooper (10 games), Kamani Hill (0 games), and Jovan Kirovski (5 games).

Winoman, edcrocker and taylor repped this.