Loose Cannon!: Reggie at QPR

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by punintended_13, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Are you referencing the Wigan (not fulham) to Milan move for Robinson? because that wasn't a club to club issue...

adam tash repped this.
  2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah yeah.....got that mixed up

3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Sounds like this was really close to happening:

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m a little worried about his playing time at Boavista

5. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    yeah reggie might really be in a career pickle here. he was not some incandescent star for boavista last year

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think they’re doing OK without him.

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that makes it all even weirder...why not let him leave if they dont wanna use him?

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they were willing to let him leave. It just didn’t work out this window.

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Teams may need to move players to buy players, they may have suddenly lost a player and need to replace him, they may be working well down their list of targets, the two teams can't come to a price agreement, etc.... Lot's of moving pieces.

Robinson (Wigan - Milan) was not bungled - he had the heart issue. How else does Fulham and especially Boavista (since I can't even think of another American having been there) have a history of bungled deals for YA's?

adam tash repped this.
  10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They were perfectly willing to let him leave. They weren't willing to let him leave on the cheap.

What part of that is hard to understand?

11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Where is that Boavista superfan who knows about the team, said they were free of debt, and rolling with young guys? It seems this might not be a terrible spot for Cannon, right? They've started the season out well, maybe they'll be better than last year, as they can't be much worse.

I think this is about right for Cannon's level, so what's wrong with that? I don't think he's a top 5 league guy (maybe France, or bottom table Germany or something), so not sure why staying is that bad.

I do keep thinking back to how when the move was made, everyone guaranteed us he'd be in a top league soon. France first with the Boavista connection. Then Italy, then Bundesliga, then EPL, then it switched to the Championship. I think it's hard to project these things, and fans here should take what is in front of them, rather than projecting out at what may be in the future, and taking it as fact.

12. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't a club issue. Jedi failed a medical at Milan. They found some minor anomaly with his heart but Italy has the stringest medical requirements on those issues. It's like how Eriksen isn't allowed to play with a pacemaker but Blind plays with the same device in the Dutch league.

He talks about this in his recent interview on Orange Slices.

ChicagoVT and Gorky repped this.
  13. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main question is did the coach find another solution at RB, on the assumption everyone had that Reggie would not be there. Things like that are easier for a mid or fw where there is more rotation.

adam tash and yurch10 repped this.
  14. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yah i forgot the details about jedi....but still there have been a BUNCH of rumors for like the past 4 windows on jedi and fulham havent let him go....so in my mind, it kinda seems like they arent really trying to let him go.

I get that there are a bunch of moving pieces...but it was basically understood and confirmed by the execs at boavista basically that the plan was 1 year in portugal then on to bigger and better things.

I live in southern europe...everyone goes on vacation for august. I think its just laziness. which would suck if it means a season without much playing time now for cannon......i think he was one who def didnt benefit from gold cup....didnt play all that well or that much a la dike and both players' stock fell a bit, seemingly....I mean fulham and nottingham are not ideal landing spots....imo portugal is better. not sure why he even wants to leave if those are the options.

15. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The truth of it is that Fulham and Nottingham have more $$ to spend than midtable Portuguese sides. I mean he probably showed enough to move up to somewhere like Braga but there is no discussion of him moving within Portugal even though their window is open til mid-September.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Is it?

This link says it's closed already: https://europeanleagues.com/transfer-windows/

17. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    boavista wants more than they paid for him so they have some leftover when they finally play fcd

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Whether the Portugese window is open or closed is irrelevant. These days, only Porto, Benfica and Sporting have the kind of money Boavista are looking to sell Reggie for, and they're very unlikely to spend it on an RB unless he's a flip-to-the-EPL-in-two-seasons kind of player. Is Reggie that good? I doubt it.

A Championship side with parachute payment money does have that level of funding, and Fulham's owner is a legit billionaire anyway. Outside the better Championship sides, only a Top 5 side or the likes of Ajax, Brugge, the Old Firm or Turkey's big 3 can afford him

Eldinter repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #695 The Irish Rover, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    In the 2012-13 season, Atletico Madrid won La Liga and reached the Champions League Final. The previous season, QPR had finished rock-bottom of the Premier League.

They got more TV money than Atletico did.

That's the reality of European football these days. Even Braga, who have been a very successful club over the last decade or so, have spent more than 5 million only once in the last 6 seasons and their highest-priced signing this summer was Iuri Medieros, who they signed from Nuremburg for 1.5 million. After having had him on loan last season.

21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Championship may have more money to spend but its generally been a dead-end for most yanks. How many have really used the championship as a launching pad to something better?

...and is the quality of football better than in portugal?? i dont think so.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think a loan to a Championship side can make sense if you're latching onto a strong promotion favorite and then hoping to sign permanently with the club upon their promotion.

Deandre Yedlin did that with Newcastle. Brad Friedel did it with Blackburn. Jack Harrison did it with Leeds (okay technically not a YA, but he did play college and professional soccer in the US).

Fulham right now are the odds on favorite for promotion in the Championship, so that probably was the thinking.

23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    seems like a good idea and hope it helps fast

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Any news on Reggie? Is he just going to sit on the shelf until the next transfer window.