PBP: Loons @ Rapids • Weds., July 7 • 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Jul 6, 2021.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    A very quick turnaround and the Rapids and I suspect for a variety of reason there will be a lot of squad rotation. Crossing my fingers that Acosta will be available, but not counting on it or Vines and Lewis.

The starting XI and formation? Who knows?

MUFC is just two points behind the Rapids in the standings but the Rapids have a game in hand.

Last match between these two was epic. In the 3-2 win the Rapids were almost dead in the water in the first half and unstoppable in the second. After the physical and emotional energy spend Sunday night, I am concerned about a let down, especially at the beginning of the match.

The Loons are coming of a 2-2 draw at home v SJ. They have one road this season, in June at Portland.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

I believe Acosta will be fully available on Wednesday. I remember seeing somewhere that Berhalter is allowing players who have already been well acclimated to his system to stay the midweek game before coming to camp. Acosta's performance Vs Mexico would clearly show he's well acclimated.

Plus, Fleming put out this tweet, which also implies that Acosta is available while Vines and Lewis are not:

1412222110768848896 is not a valid tweet id

If I were Fraser, my starting XI - assuming Price is healthy - would be back to that familiar 4-2-3-1 and would look like:

upload_2021-7-6_10-25-38.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kelly is right-footed. Which, when overlapping, means he'll probably cut more inside than Vines does, which will push Shinyashiki more on the outside. Not a bad rotation.

The only subs I imagine will be highly probable will be Mezquida for Acosta (if he needs to be rested late in the 2nd half) and Galvan for Shinyashiki. Might also see Larraz for Price if Price can't go the full 90, and if Rubio/Barrios needs to come out, then I presume Benezet comes in for one of them

While it is on short rest, the game against Seattle wasn't the fastest pace, so we may still look fairly fresh on Wednesday - even though Minnesota will have had the extra day

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have to say first that I can’t stand Adrian Heath. There’s a pompous arrogance about him that just rubs me the wrong watt. It’s Bruce Arena-esque but I can respect Arena because of the resume. With that said, the pompous ass won’t need to be reminded of the 3-2 comeback win for the Rapids back on May 8th. I suspect the Goons are gonna come out guns blazing. IOur best lineup available needs to be on the pitch. It’s a vital game before Vines, Acosta, and Lew head to the GC. Anything less than 3 points, at home against the Goons, is a failure, IMO. Big game!

therapidsnumbernine repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the Rapids can play King Arthur to their Black Knight.

[​IMG]

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far the only reference I've seen to that is Lletget staying in LA for tomorrow's game but yes, I would hope the same applies to Acosta. And Fleming's tweet does seem to suggest that. I wonder if this is once again the Rapids playing things close to the vest like they do with injuries. Annoying, because I don't really think it buys them as much as they think it does.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska
    He reminds me a lot of Anthony Hudson.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Word on Soccer's Matt Pollard has confirmed Acosta is still in Colorado and will depart after tomorrow's match. Price is coming around and was in training today but will likely still be questionable for tomorrow's match.

Sports Yak and COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Sunday's Performance and losing Acosta after this game per reports, I don't see Price playing this one

JasonMa repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    If that's the case, I agree. Trot out the 4-3-3 again with Acosta bossing the middle. Price could be an option off the bench, but not start. Play Kelly at left back and perhaps start Galván on the left up front with Barrios on the right.

10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Double Confirmed:

1412566353853116416 is not a valid tweet id

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 win, goals by Bassett and Barrios. The Rapids have a better offense and a slightly better defense than Minnesota, but that's when they're at full strength. Tomorrow's game will be a test for that back line and not one they come through unscathed. But not having to travel for a quick turnaround game will be enough of a difference that Colorado gets the win.

http://view-from-the-couch.blogspot.com/2021/07/looney-tunes-scheduling.html

12. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think them missing Boxhal is a huge miss for MNUFC. They’re defense isn’t good, but it isn’t bad either. However, Boxhal is a huge cog in their defensive machine.

If we can take control of the possession in the game, like we all know we can, then the 2-1 (or even 3-1) is extremely plausible.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see who mans LB and if we push Fullback(s) into the Attack or not. I am guessing LB regardless of the "Who" plays very defensive (ie not pressing into attack).

15. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    If Price can't play, I am unclear about who starts in his place. How about we move Rosenberry--the veteran and a truly steady presence--to the left side and let Kelly play in his regular position? I do not share the opinion of many on here about Shinyashiki. Worked hard against Seattle, but he continues to give away the ball way too much. I would love to see Bassett repeat his very fine performance but must finish his chances. Barrios continues to be amazingly enjoyable to watch! Rubio as captain?? Really????

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado Rapids vs Minnesota United
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (9PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Ryan Graves
    4TH: Matthew Corrigan
    VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

17. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anagram: Ideal carnal majors

18. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Galvan finally in the starting XI. Excited to see how he looks.

Really hope that Wilson, Lalas and Trusty starting doesn’t mean we’re rolling that terrible 5-3-2 again. Please no…..

19. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think this will be a 4-4-2 with a floating midfield.

Trusty played LB in the preseason and looked good there from when I saw him.

I imagine it’s left to right:

Rubio - Barrios

Galvan - Acosta - Mezquida - Bassett

Trusty - Wilson - Abubakar - Rosenberry

And then that midfield floats around a bit - sometimes looking like a back 5, sometimes a back 3 with Rosenberry pushing up underneath Bassett and Barrios

Andy126 repped this.
  20. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    2-0 win. Barrios and Wilson.

21. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Strong start. Loons struggling to handle our pressure on the ball. Barrios continuing to terrorize down the line. Missing Capt. Jack on set pieces though. Mezquida’s corner kicks have been rough.

22. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Galvan. Beauty.

23. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    What an absolute BANGER of a goal by Galvan!

Too early to start a petition to nickname him GOALvan?

AlbertCamus and Andy126 repped this.
  24. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much happier with the performance tonight versus Sunday. Passing and chemistry did seem a bit off though, but it may have been fatigue. Our finishing is still a bit lacking, but both goals were class. Still need to buy a striker though. I thought Trusty actually did really well at LB. It makes me feel a bit better about Vines being absent.

Maarten van 242 and Andy126 repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of points…..

- I don’t hate Trusty at LB. I thought he did an excellent job and did everything asked of him and nearly had a couple of assists. The second half at least. I don’t know how he looked in the first half. He wasn’t on my side of the field in first half so I didn’t notice him that much. That’s a good thing i suppose.

- Acosta is a boss in that 4-3-3. When he is in control, the match is in control. Cool, calm, and collected. I would like to see him push the attack a little more but tempo is good and he’s finding the ball and/or the ball is finding him. He had a couple of outstanding touches where he played out of pressure almost effortlessly.

- Pretty meh game from Bassett. Not bad. Not good. Just meh. He gets in so many good positions in the final third but he’s got to finish. Same could be said about Rubio’s game tonight. Only he has Tomlinson those spots to actually be a threat on goal.

- when you can defend well individually and collectively while playing the ball out of the ball efficiently, you are always going to put yourself in position to earn maximum points - home and away. I did think we moved to 5 in the back a little too early (78th min) but…. We scored 3 minutes later so what the hell do I know!

- I thought the boys played efficiently and in control. They didn’t play lights out. They stuck to a game plan, on a short week, and did what they had to win and win convincingly. Fraser gets high praise for the game.

- other little side notes …. What the hell was the red card for? I couldn’t see. Also Did anyone Mezquida toss his shin guards off the pitch? Is that why he received a yellow card? Finally, god bless Warner! He’s trying like really trying but I think i could give him a run for his money. I’m happy he got a few minutes though.