Looking forward to 2005

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Revolt, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes are coming off a dissapointing season on the field, but did manage to have an impressive gain in attendance - despite the off-field turmoil. I'm really excited to think that next year another impressive gain can be had - especially with the help of SSV in scouring up next season ticket sales.

One area that's always been vexing to me is the poor early season attendance totals. It seems that each year, some big group sales kick in at the end of the year.

So what can be done to improve things early in the year? Well, by not repeating the experience this year. First game of the season, coming off the miraculous Championship and what did the the club to do pump up opening day?

Zip. Nada. Nothing. It was the frigging season opener! There should have been bands and lots of kids in their kits and the whole soccer experience thing outside Spartan beforehand. And bunting. And prep rallies downtown during the week. And all of the things that clubs do to pimp themselves as the season gets underway.

I'm hoping that Alexi gets it and with a year of seasoning under his belt can make it happen. After all, I've been all over the guy being such a piss in the punch bowl about ownership/SSS issues. But let's give him credit where its due: Attendance is way up under his command.

For once, I would really like to see the club start the season off with a bang attendance-wise. Is it possible in San Jose?

One small suggestion. Let's get this guy:

http://www.letsrumble.com/home.html

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Adidas kits........

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It would help our attendance if the league didn't schedule two 1:00pm starts out of our first 3 games like it did this year:mad: gAlexi's lack of everything didn't help either. I can't say if I'm looking forward to this season on the pitch, the product might resemble our 2000 team and send a stink through Spartan that would choke a maggot. It wasn't so bad driving home after those games as it only took 20 minutes, but the thought of driving four hours after watching a putrid match doesn't sit well:(
    I'm glad the team is staying, for this year at least,because this means more tailgating with the great Club Quake people.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, something was done during the prior months: AEG allowed Club America to continue blustering about how they were going to take over the team and rebrand them and to hell with the current fanbase (if I recall correctly, the news of their plans to move the team came a bit later). :mad:

Oh, you meant what they did positive to promote the season opener? Yeah, you're right... Zip. Nada. Nothing. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as the 2005 jerseys retain the same logo (with two stars, of course ;) ), wordmark and color scheme, then it might not be so bad.

If not (or if they design the uniforms radically different from the current ones), then :( .

-G

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And beyond. :)

-G

7. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I volunteer my band. But definitely at least us fans (or ex-club quake members) should try and put something together for next season's opener.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I totally agree that there needs to be some major effort to pump up opening day. Last year, with the replica rings and everything, the first time to officially honor the champions in front of the home crowd, and attendance was what, 7,000? 8,000? (Don't remember the figure but I know it was real low). I hope we don't see that again. Need to jump start this thing.

9. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the wrong metaphore for Alexi's efforts as it implies a negative effort behind the scenes. (Would one be able to see the piss in the puch bowl?)
    From all indications given by SSV, Alexi has been a great help behind the scenes.
    His public image, the one where he keeps saying things that seem to make him look like he's more of an AEG 'yes' man than an gung-ho Earthquakes supporter/GM makes him look more, to me, like "a turd in the punch bowl".

10. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    2005 has an X-factor: SSV...

11. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Over the last few seasons, we have brought many new youth players and their families to the Quake's games. Many have had a blast and vow to go to more games. The problem is, our kid's season doesn't start till' September, so, usually we don’t start going to games till’ October.

I got a little smarter this year. Our team had their season-end pizza party Saturday. I passed around a "Soccer Contact" list and had all the folks put down name, number, e-mail, etc. I plan to start contacting these folks around mid-February and will make sure they know about all the games, opening day, mini-season ticket deals, etc. I’ve already got 5 people excited about buying a six-pack (mini-plan) and tailgating.

Also, today at work, a die-hard baseball fan started talking to me about yesterday’s MLS cup…he actually WATCHED it on T.V. I asked if he’d ever been to a Quakes game. When he said, “No”, I chuckled and said, “Looks like you’re going to be my guest next April!” (I then told him I’d get him loaded at our tailgate party!”) Heh, heh, looks like we got another convert!!

IT’S UP TO US TO SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!!!!!!

12. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now there's proof the final was entertaining :D

13. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team got a lot of publicity this season, and that should help. I think season ticket sales will also get a boost from the "$50 Reserves Your Seat" plan. If the jerseys look great, and the colors I think have the potential to, that will help, too. Thousands and thousands of first-time visitors came to those games with 20,000+. Some of them should be back. I hope the team finds someone who can play the midfield engine if some of the players in question don't return.