Looking for a nice, quiet summer? You are at the wrong club! - Transfers and Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by natenate101, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who'll be the next player to "realize a life-long dream"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]???????

2. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized Coentrao looks a helluva lot like Andy Samberg
    [​IMG]

3. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wanted to rep you twice, once for the title and another one for the Andy Samberg and Coentrao comparison lol.

Must spread though :p

4. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  5. babai_here

babai_here Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nice thread starter :D

6. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Tactical flexibility!* Nice thread.

ps. I guess I'll throw out the big bomb from this morning: Mourinho is supposedly proposing a Kaka for Maicon swap.

* it's my summer transfer phrase for 2011, want to make sure I get it out there

7. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    http://www.marca.com/2011/06/06/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1307346996.html

You for got to mention that we get 20ME ontop for the swap.

8. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So if Maicon comes, he will play at RB and Ramos at CB. That leaves Coentrao's alleged RB "converting" myth busted? :)

9. raven3k

raven3k Member+

May 31, 2007
    Madrista land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  10. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I hope this Maicon talk is to let Benfica know we have other options.

11. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maicon would be an utter disappointment unless it's for a Carvahlo type signing and about 8m-10m Euros. He is on his last legs, and 8m is being generous. Also, Maicon would have to agree to very low wages. Other than that, stick with the young talented up and comers, like Coantrao. Kid is filthy, and we already know that Jose has said "he can play anywhere" which makes me think he will be used to fill the gaping hole at RB/CB. Last year Albiol/Arbeloa had to play against BARCA. It was unfortunate, and there were no injuries to our CB/RB guys, not to mention Carvahlo will be one year older.

If there is a hole on this team, it is at the CB/RB spot, and Coantrao would help fill that with an incredibly young and incredibly talented player. Jose may even move to a 4-3-3, have both him and Marcelo as the FBs and bomb forward, it would be great to see.

12. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I've said this once, and I'll say this again: Kaka will not leave Madrid for Inter.

13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Why stop at one bad decision when you can make multiple ones!

14. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I think it is a BS story. But I guess you never know.

15. abnormal

abnormal Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    You're wrong. How about Xabi?

You're on fire today! Maicon for €8M and very low wages. :rolleyes::D

17. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Wow, if this is true what we're giving up is pretty high since our valuation of Garay is supposedly 10 ME unless Zeke is only going on loan or something along those lines.

18. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    And as a Porto fan, what do you think? Is Coentrao worth it? Can he play effectively in 3-4 positions?

19. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    For a deal looking to be 30 ME+ this fool better be able to play in more than 3-4 positions effectively, more like 6-7 and he better revise his earlier statements and be willing to be a backup keeper as well.

20. Rhox

Rhox Member

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think the problem here is not if we can play play effectively in 3 or 4 positions 'cause I follow his games and he definitely can and he is very good playing different positions. The only thing I have doubts is how well is going to adapt in La Liga. He did a very solid WC and the last couple of seasons he was a fundamental key to Benfica but Portuguese Liga and La Liga are two very different competitions.

21. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Are you guys in for another CB?

Would look a bit thin at CB, no?

Carvalho, Pepe, Albiol + Ramos?

22. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Would you like us to take Vidic from your hands? :p:D

23. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If Ramos does move to the centre back position then that would be a good combo of CB's. But if he doesn't there's plenty of options that we could replace Garay with.

Off the top of my head, Mexes, Rami, Sakho etc.

24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He's already signed with Milan, and thankfully so, because I want no piece of him.

25. abnormal

abnormal Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Absolutely. He's a converted midfielder and he can play both sides though obviously he's played best at LB. As a Porto fan, beating Benfica numerous times this year brought all of us great joy. The key? Don't attack Coentrao's wing.

The 5-0 drubbing Porto handed them was a result of attacking down the right (where David Luiz was playing—out of position mind you, but for the sake of argument it was not Coentrao's side)

People who haven't seen him play may be quick to judge him on one or two games. Here's what I can say:

Fabio Coentrao is a gamer. He has tons of confidence and he can be very effective in linking with your wing players. Just imagine having Marcelo and Coentrao on opposite sides of the pitch from the back. Teams couldn't focus on Marcelo's side alone when you have just as good a threat on the other side.

Coentrao has demonstrated his ability to defend world class talent. Go back and watch the game against Brazil from the World Cup as an example (he does this quite often but the Brazil game is just an excellent reference) he was stonewalling the attack almost single handedly and was a large contributor in the stingy Portugal defence.

On his worst days he makes a few mistakes because of his willingness to push up the pitch. On those days he will be an average defender. But on his good days (which far outnumber his bad days, and seem to come out when playing the best teams) he is a monster. Just a beast! Can't say enough good things about how this guy plays when he's on. Remember too, he's young, so he'll fit in with the growing core at Real. Scary to think if he does end up playing at RB what a back 4 of Coentrao, Carvalho, Ramos, and Marcelo can do. That back 4 with Pepe playing DM. Oh boy. That is completely different dynamic for Barca to deal with. And let's be real, Madrid is building a team to beat Barca for years to come. With that formation (for as long as Carvalho can keep up his level of play) is a scary unit to go up against- physical, but also quick and always a threat to counter.

Most important though, as for him adapting to La Liga, mentally, he is very tough. This goes hand in hand with 1 and 2 above, he knows he has the skills to take on the best and he won't back down from anyone. That's important qualities, not when you're playing B level teams like (all due respect) Gijon, or Racing Santander, to name a couple, but when you play the big boys, that's right Barcelona.

Fact is this is a smart signing. He's versatile (maybe not 6-7 positions, let's not get crazy) tough, and ready to play in the big time! I'm sure the skeptics will change their tune after seeing him play week in week out for a full season.