Looking at income disparity/inequality...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Canadian citizens abroad

United States 1,062,640
    Hong Kong 300,000
    United KINGDOM 87,000
    France 60,000
    Lebanon 45,000
    UAE 40,000
    etc.....

Ps.... More than 9% of all Canadian citizens live outside of Canada. That compares to 1.7% of Americans outside US

Pps...believe it or not the USMNT is FIFA ranked #27 and the Canucks #73! :eek::rolleyes:

Ppps...just think...in six Months, if Pulisic is ever able to walk again, where we'll be! :whistling:

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Surely that figure includes dual citizens?

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who did you leave out for #4 and 5 on that list? Belgium? They got some good beer there, so I'm sure they are pretty high on the list.

4. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well.....maybe! :notworthy:

upload_2020-2-4_13-41-16.jpeg

Attached Files:

chaski and russ repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Naw...I reed reel gud but I'll send Dear John an apologetic letter although I hate to rite. :coffee:

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? Not when it comes to things that start with a "p." Poutine, pony, pasta...

roby repped this.
  8. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    That's why it's best to avoid River City where ya got trouble! :thumbsup:

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Okay, add "pool" to the list.

10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I believe I'll pass else there be retribution from @usscouse ! :cautious:

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Long read on why white collar crime prosecution is at its lowest. I particularly liked the bit about people hiding money from their second wives.

1226864129706618881 is not a valid tweet id

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Meanwhile, debtor prisons are back in fashion!!

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here's an interesting point that is pretty obvious that I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it: It provides a convenient TL;DR snippet, IMO

The criminal justice system has given up all pretense that the crimes of the wealthy are worth taking seriously. In January 2019, white-collar prosecutions fell to their lowest level since researchers started tracking them in 1998. Even within the dwindling number of prosecutions, most are cases against low-level con artists and small-fry financial schemes. Since 2015, criminal penalties levied by the Justice Department have fallen from $3.6 billion to roughly $110 million. Illicit profits seized by the Securities and Exchange Commission have reportedly dropped by more than half. In 2018, a year when nearly 19,000 people were sentenced in federal court for drug crimes alone, prosecutors convicted just 37 corporate criminals who worked at firms with more than 50 employees.

With few exceptions, the only rich people America prosecutes anymore are those who victimize their fellow elites. Pharma frat boy Martin Shkreli, to pick just one example, wasn’t prosecuted for hiking the price of a drug used to treat HIV from $13.50 to $750 per pill. He went to prison for scamming investors in a hedge fund scheme years before. Meanwhile, in 2016, the CEO whose company experienced the deadliest mining disaster since 1970 served less than one year in prison and paid a fine of 1.4 percent of his salary and stock bonuses the previous year. Why? Because overseeing a company that ignores warnings and causes the deaths of workers, even 29 of them, is a misdemeanor.

Construction magnate Bruce Karatz provides an infuriating case study of how the criminal justice system treats wealthy defendants. In 2010, Karatz was convicted of failing to disclose in a financial statement that he had secretly “backdated” his stock options (think Biff with the Sports Almanac in “Back to the Future II”) to boost his pay by more than $6 million. Prior to his sentencing hearing, his lawyer submitted letters of support from former mayor of Los Angeles Richard Riordan and billionaire philanthropist Eli Broad. Prosecutors recommended six-and-a-half-years in prison; the judge gave Karatz five years’ probation and eight months of house arrest in his Bel Air mansion. After two years, the judge terminated the remainder of the sentence. Karatz later received a civic award from The Malibu Times for volunteer work he did to make a good impression for his sentencing hearing.​

EDIT: And what dapip says.

dapip, xtomx and fatbastard repped this.
  14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh, the bolded is massively true. In various situations. I grew up around a few elites and didn't even realize it. They'll bail you out if you screw up and it doesn't affect them, but lord help you if it does.

Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1040 dapip, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Yes, it’s a tweet.

Yes, it’s about the current election.

Nonetheless, I think this is the best thread for it:

1229991795146330112 is not a valid tweet id

Basically, we’re fvcked as a Democracy, thanks to wealth concentration and C.U.N.T.

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1041 ceezmad, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    I doubt Bloomberg has 64 billion in cash.

But he probably has some very liquid investments that he is cashing out to spend all that money.

It is his money, made it by creating a pretty good product, his Bloomberg terminals as far as I know basically are the Microsoft office of Trading desks.

For what I remember, even if citizens united was still the law of the land, Bloomberg could still do what he is doing, there was always a billionaire "loophole" in the law.

According to this vox article it was a 1976 case that opened the door for Bloomberg.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/20...-money-politics-dark-money-vouchers-primaries

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Bloomberg, Steyer or the current crop of billionaires (like 200 of them in the US) had been in business in pre-Reagan, they would not have so much money to spend.

If the SCOTUS had not authorized unlimited anonymous campaign contributions, we would not have Russia buying the GOP via the NRA and Facebook would not be pullulating with fake news and hate speech.

Yeah, he has a nice product, but that doesn't mean that he was paid more money that he knows what to do with, and that is helping kill our democracy.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would still have a lot, since they made their money with Capital gains.

upload_2020-2-19_10-9-14.png

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/02/11/a-95-year-history-of-maximum-capital-gains-tax-rat.aspx

See my second part, Citizens United has nothing to do with Bloomberg spending his own money as he wants.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Minor FYP

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    These people are scared.

Sooner or later the time will come.

1230920932925071362 is not a valid tweet id

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm bullish on guillotine manufacturers.

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    GMAFB!!!!!

https://www.ft.com/content/b8961936-51a6-11ea-8841-482eed0038b1

Look, I am a Democrat, but they said those things in a shrill way to raise the stakes on the outcome,” Blankfein says. “I don’t think it’s unreasonable or cynical for a legislator to have said that what Trump did was wrong, and showed bad character, but it was not at a level where we’re going to overturn an election nine months before the next one.”

But Trump is already taking revenge on those who testified against him, I protest. “Bill Clinton, who I supported, perjured himself,” Blankfein replies. “That’s a literal crime. And he was acquitted.” Just to be clear, I press, you do not share the Democratic party’s fears about Trump’s autocratic leanings? “Look, it’s crazy not to acknowledge the economy has expanded under Trump,” Blankfein says. “Some of this is related to tax reform. The cheapest stimulus is getting rid of dopey regulations [including on Wall Street]. All I’m saying is that Democrats would have a far stronger case if they conceded what was good.”

Though Blankfein remains as cheerful as when we sat down, I can feel the thermometer rising a little. Who would you pick if it boiled down to Trump or Sanders, I ask. For the first time in our exchange, he pauses. “I think I might find it harder to vote for Bernie than for Trump,” he says. “There’s a long time between now and then. The Democrats would be working very hard to find someone who is as divisive as Trump. But with Bernie they would have succeeded.” But you would say that, I reply, because you are a billionaire. Sanders is proposing a wealth tax on people like you. “I don’t like that at all,” says Blankfein. “I don’t like assassination by categorisation. I think it’s un-American. I find that destructive and intemperate. I find that just as subversive of the American character as someone like Trump who denigrates groups of people who he has never met. At least Trump cares about the economy.”

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    "I don't behave that way" ... says the guy who portrays Bernie Sanders as a threat to the country, solely because Sanders might raise his taxes. Yes you do behave that, Lloyd. Yes you do.

xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Shows how little this guy knows. Trump cares about Trump and nothing else.

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Bump this thread. Not exactly about income disparity, but on how most [some/all?] charities are basically the same as corporate America: