Looking ahead to 2003 [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 25, 2002.

1. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    exactly! she is a very important component of starting the attack out of the back. Not that Bai couldn't do that, but she is dynamic up front. There is no need to move her back when Skylar is doing a fine job there.

ok, first of all, she went from not so good to pretty good. She is decent and constantly improving at everything you say she is doing poorly. And she probably does let her mark get an inside track sometimes, but heck she's still learning, and the back 4 work well together, they are always there to help each other out. In the 2002 season, the defense allowed 29 goals (2nd in the league) and went on a 9 game unbeaten streak. Pretty dang good if you ask me. If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixed. The defense works well together and should remain the same.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So who are the bubble players right now..well other than Milburn :D? I am guessing that when Stoecker is 100%..Noftsinger is the first to go in the midfield.

EDIT

Expendable players: Milburn and Rigamat for sure. What about Zimny?

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zimny's our only backup defender who's not already on the field. I think it makes sense to keep her around.

I'd hate to see Noftsinger go, but I have to admit she's on the bubble. I'd rather keep her and get rid of Gerardo, but Mo does have her moments - just wish she had more.

4. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I think Zimny is expendable if they can find someone to replace her in the draft. I would like to see them get someone who is more suited to play outside back. Zimny is more of a central defender and there are already four players on the roster who can play there. (Moore, Grubb, Jones, and Stoeker).

I agree with SCF in that I would like to see Noftsinger stick around, rather then Gerardo or Cook. Although they both have their moments.

And I think, minus Milburn, the Freedom have the deepest set of forwards in the league. Mia and Abby may be gone quite a bit with the Nats next year, so I think it is good to have J Little and Beard around. I hope all of them are back next year.

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I'd give Zimny another year. Unlike some players on the team, she comes to play and has the physical tools - she just made some dumb rookie mistakes this year, expect her to be better in 2003.

SCF echoes my thoughts on Mo word for word - she has the occasional classy goal or pass, but does not do enough work most of the time and it would not kill me to see her let go. I'd like to see Stoecker back in her D-mid spot in 2003 with Jones being pushed further up the field.

I am dead set against Cookie being let go - I think she is easily the most underrated player on the team. She makes a lot of good things happen out there, and the fact her +/- was +9 before she got hurt and the team's was -4 without her in the line up (and the fact she played about half the team's total minutes and played in 16 of 18 games makes this stat very meaningful) illustrates this.

Milburn, Rigamat - buh bye! I like Beard's skills, but am not forgiving her for abandoning the team in FCII too easily. Wouldn't mind seeing Skate stick around if there's room.

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think about Cookie - she'd be higher on my chart than Skate, much as I'd like to keep both of them.

On the previous topic, I was figuring Stoecker and Jones together as d-mids (just try to get through!), but then that puts Cookie on the bench. Maybe Stack and Cookie as d-mids and Steffi as an attacking mid? If the Chinese stay home next season, that's a no-brainer without Pu Wei. Not sure about choosing among Mak, Pu, and Steffi as attacking midfielders, though.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Speaking of Pu Wei...

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/clubs/chinarefs/china-super_15sept02.html

8. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002

Get over it. Beard didn't abandon anyone. She made the right choice and with the team's support. She has the skill to be on the team so support her for that.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From this new article:

http://www.soccerway.com/news/?page=details&area=1034384400

Well first off last year was not the inaugural season and next season is not the league's second season. Just slight glitches in the article. But this does help confirm some of the rumors about this happening with the Chinese players.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike