Long Threads

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 11, 2004.

1. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    this would be cool, as long as if while reading the now compresed chapter4 any quotes or replies are automatically posted in chapter 5 or 6 or whatever is now active.

2. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    While an interesting idea we should focus on solutions that work within the confines of the current system.

3. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Club:
    --other--
    25 is probably too little for the continuity issues each of the various threads have. With a 350 limit, we have 24 pages. Thus far, it feels as if a new thread has been created each time I log on, and it then entails actually having to look for it. Splarg posts links from one thread to another, but I do not think it is fair that his workload is increased just because we keep wanting to post.

Besides, I cannot afford the beer money in keeping him sweet :)

Trying 50 pages seems fair to me, as Jesse mentioned 100 is a level he is still uncomfortable with. Based on this, I think this number is at least a fair attempt at a compromise.

EDIT: I guess this is where a you guys need another Mod ...

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the experimentation idea.

5. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which has happened over & over again here.

Do you know how BSSM got started?

It was 5 years or so ago when you changed the amount of posts to become a "Senior Member" without telling anyone ahead of time.

BSSM was a tongue in cheek protest to that.

You kind of created the monster so to speak on BSSM.

----

You could have just posted in BSSM or one of the other big threads stated the problem & asked for solutions or at least warned us ahead of time.

---

Anyway my big concern is that most of the time I am on here while @ work.

I can pop in & out of things when I have down time. Sometimes I don't have down time for a week.

The prospect of hunting through new threads daily is just too much of a hassle.

6. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So create a "community" subforum in FFA (for BSSM and other neverending threads).

8. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Oh my! Whatever will you do?! Have you ever considered the possibility that you don't need to read everything that is posted in your precious little thread?

It's the small things in life. Don't get so worked up. Your life is not affected.

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's certainly an option. What is on the page doesn't bother me because I know what I want to click on.

10. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    I still think we should set a level like 200 pages and try it for a week or two. If it doesn't work, cool, we'll try something lower.

We can even change the lengths as big events happen that claim more bandwidth. For example the home and home matches against Grenada are coming up so the site will probably get more hits and need the extra bandwidth. So pop in and ask us to keep our threads shorter for that week.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But see that's not the problem - it's the existence of the long threads that creates the problems. Every time you view a page, the server repaginates what it serves you. Basically a set NSR limit is the "best" solution. What that limit is, is best determined by folks with access to the computer server logs.

I don't see that much of a problem with the longer soccer threads, they tend to have a very, very short shelf-life. It's these FFA/FCM/NS type threads - which I take part of - that are the problem.

And sorry, Tree, but it looks like I was correct here.

12. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for enlightening us, Andy. I think we'd figured that out.

All we're waiting for right now is for Jesse to tell us if there's a compromise he can live with.

13. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    jim's solution

-create sub-forums in FFA for panic's 3rd try, B@W, BSSM, Random Thoughts, etc.
    -appoint member(s) of each group to be mod of said forum (relief for cap'n splarg)
    -mod closes thread at 500 posts (you said 500, jim going with 500)
    -forums for each give place for that group alone... completely open to new people and an easy way to store threads so that you don't have to go searching through the ffa... kind of a concession to the groups for having to limit the posts (jim know there are currently un-used forums...)

jim like jim's solution

jim believes jim and non-jims can agree on this solution

any dissenters will be rounded up and shot full of jello

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim's solution seems workable and agreeable. Jim deserves some rep for such a fine idea.

15. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not having any problems at all with this change.

Yeah, the 20 pages are usually scanned over, if not read completely.

16. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This would work if we're allowed to police ourselves. The worst part of having the treads locked is that it's way harder to catch up. If the threads are open, we hit quote but copy & paste that into a post in the new thread (the way many of us already do it when we're transitioning between threads).

Jeez, I'm being incoherent.

Anyway, whatever we do I'd like for it to be self-policing for those threads with trusted posters.

17. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, yeah. I'm not fully initiated into BSSM and stuff, but antagonizing the guys on the big threads isn't smart.

We're really not that cliquish. In the last couple of months, maybe a dozen different people have begun posting in BSSM, and not a single person who's been there for a while had a problem with it. Hell, to my knowledge, only one person has ever been 'banished' from BSSM.

Don't comment on what you don't understand.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Jim good.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Been watching Shrek much, Prof?

Sachin

20. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, if we let Porf post there, we'll let anyone post there. ;)

Actually, if they let me post there it shows that their standards are pretty low.

Seriously, though, we aren't cliquish. It's just that it takes a newbie time to sort of get into the groove because there are so many things going on at once. But unless you're a blithering idiot or a total jackass, you're not going to be treated rudely. In fact, a lot of times we welcome new blood because we start getting really, really sick of each other.

On further reflection I have to admit that there are no Galaxy fans currently posting on BSSM. Coincidence?

21. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sig? Kind of. I'd downloaded (yes, I used an illegal method - I don't care) the song and really liked it. I ended up performing it at the Spring Concert in March. I needed a new sig, and that was what came to mind.

And Barb, reverse psychology? Telling them there's no Gal-fans is just going to invite them, will it not? (Please let me be wrong...again.)

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Clarification - this translates to support for Jim's proposal.

23. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --This non-jim agrees, however, I would like to see some people shot full of jello.

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim's a smart man. I like his idea-- and the way he thinks in general.

The idea certainly has some merits, and might be worth some further ponderings by the powers-that-be, I would hope.

25. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this be a jello flavor of our own choosing? Or would it be decreed by Huss?
    __

One vote in favor of Jim's idea.