Long Threads

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, May 11, 2004.

1. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    In an effort to improve server issues, all threads that approach 350 replies will be closed and a PART 2 thread opened.

350 is a compromise from the original 200 proposed. We will roll this out in NSR only to start.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    stupid.

i'm sorry but this smacks wrong in every direction. it seems as though everything is being done with the idea to eliminate NSR threads, forums, etc. if that is the case then just go ahead and delete the forums b/c this "micromanaging" is for the birds.

sorry huss but this is going to make lots and lots of people pissed. i don't know why you don't discusss this kinds of ideas with the people that actually use this place but whatever, it's your board so it's you call. i just find it hard to believe that with an association with fox sports and people paying $30 a year you cannot find a way to make this work. i have not had a single problem with this place for a long time, so these "server issues" we're hurting non-premium members so be it...i thought that is what we were paying for?

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree with the man with the hot avatar. i'm on the team, and the main reason I dropped coin was to support BS. Now I feel like BS isn't supporting me.

4. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian New Member

Mar 18, 2003
    Club:
    --other--
    Just as Marcel spotted this thread, BSSM got locked.

I find it all quite amusing, given the speed at which it happened. However, I am inclined to think that having one thread of 1,000 pages is preferable to having many threads of 350 (or even 200) replies, with associated separate headers, references, and so on.

Or is the overall aim to limit posts, full stop ? :)

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i just have a question about this...

how does it save server space when you have one thread that has 20,000 posts as opposed to 57 thraeds with 350 posts? just thinking logically here for a second; how can 57 threads instead of 1 solve server issues?

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't make sense to me, but how long before this blows the 350 post limit?

So we have 124 of the "Panic's coolest thread - Part CXXIV"

or one thread? Seems like the server would get tanked up as Red mentioned having to sort all those threads.

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Huss is having a laugh. Sitting back with two strippers and some coke saying "ha look at all those soccer nerds."

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some warning would have been nice, ya know.

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had it in the mod area - but wham, bam, thank you mam it was in place just 24 hours later or so. Originally they wanted 200 posts. Personally I'd like to see the post count in the Yanks Abroad section as most of those just break down into arguments about whether Jack Monkey should come back to MLS, whether Bruce should call Jack Monkey to the Nats, or something similar.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    he's basically killed the most loyal users of BS, soccer-related or not...

11. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Or at least trying to push us over the edge. I have thirty bucks a year that can get me better service elsewhere.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems fair to say.

I wonder if sponsors or adds care if we are talking about soccer or other stuff?

13. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    So let me get this straight. I spend my money to support and show my loyalty to Bigsoccer and I'm rewarded by being Royally screwed? What percentage of the people that were first on board with their money are also people posting in the long NSR threads? We were there for you when times were hard and you screw us like a ten dollar whore.

How do I get my thirty dollars back?

Srew you Huss.

14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How? I mean, what difference would've it made, other than start the kvetching earlier?

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How does a 350 post/thread limit screw anyone?

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't look now, but Huss is a soccer nerd. It's true, I've met him. :p

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People who paid money to support this site might feel included in the community.

People signed up for something. It got changed without notice. That sucks. I'm glad Ididn't pay the $30.

18. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just paid the $15 and I feel screwed. Andy, i had a NSR thread going in FFA with over 1,500 pages of history. The thread was over 2 years old and was a mainstay, now we have to start all over again. Sort of loses its energy now that its on page 1 again.

19. ulmo

ulmo Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Delaware
    because a major aspect of BS is being changed. It will effectively kill the big threads like BSSM, Daisychick, RT, CarolinaB, and others.

Those threads fostered a real fealing of community, nurtured friendships, and includes some of BigSoccer's most fervent supporters. And now they're dead.

Not to mention that we've been screwed by losing something that we paid our money to keep.

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what's showing up on your end but I'm seeing that this site is called Big Soccer. That seems a pretty clear indication of what the site is about. I'm actually amazed at all of the non soccer related forums that they've allowed to exist. There's certainly nothing stopping anyone from setting up their own site or listserv elsewhere where you can decide how it's run and post inane non soccer crap til your hearts content.

K

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But if the issues are technical and not management, then I would hope that the folks who frequent BigSoccer are intelligent enough to understand and respond humorously instead of emotionally.

If, on the other hand, if it is true - and I don't believe it is - that Huss and company are just doing this to piss FFA/FCM/NS people off, then just ignore me.

Me, I've spent most of the last 20 years working in low level computer programs, and have long been fascinated at just how long some of the threads have become.

Hopefully folks will adapt. I mean the other site I most frequent has a limit of 50 posts per thread and virtually no moderation.

I'd hate to think that folks take things so personally that they leave BigSoccer for this. It should be a technical/intellectual issue, not an emotional one.

I'm afraid, however, that I'm fanning the flames - not my intent, and I haven't spoken with Huss about any of this - so I'll stop.

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? I would appreciate a real answer. Not cause I felt like it. Unless you know that long threads will cause server problems leav well enough alone. Perhaps you should address the real problem, all the code that loads on BS right now that and not thread length is the real issue. On my dial up at home it takes forever to load up.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are technical, then why not explain them and allow people to discuss the changes instead of just throwing the hammer down? I understand there could/probably are technical issues. But why not be up front about that kind of stuff to the entire community?

I hope people will adapt. I don't want people to bail. I don't believe the customer is always right, but the customer had no imput on an aspect that so many used. I think they deserved the courtesy of some discussion regardless of whether that changed Jess'e mind or not.

24. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention some damn good soccer discussions as well. Just because it was in FFA does not mean we did not discuss a lot of soccer. I know we did in our little thread.

25. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People need to get a life a bit here. It's a soccer board first and foremost, and if the NSR boards are overwheling the system then the answer is to curtail or shut down NSR. And I say that as someone who really enjoys the Politics and Music forums. I know I'll get flamed over this, but I fail to see how a 2,000-page thread on a soccer board with almost no soccer content is a great accomplishment that needs to be preserved.