Lol, JD strikes again.

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Elliad, Jun 23, 2008.

1. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    article sounds interesting if i understood the headline correctly. quick translation please? :p

2. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006
    good thing i was bored.. this should keep me busy for 10-15 mins.
    Here's the translation

----------------------------------------------
    Managing a national team is not an easy task. To be a manager of a NT(national team) what kind of abilities and qualities would you need?

By answering following questions, lets see if you are a good fit to be a NT manager.

1. In a world cup qualification match against a weaker team, you are dominating the pitch for 70 mins and are winning 2-0. But the opponents comes out counter attacking, scoring on their first attempt on offense,
    (its basically choose your answer from Multiple Choice)

A) Tell the players to calmly keep the possession of the ball. Tell them it was just a lucky goal and there is nothing to worry if you play smart. You know that it is wrong to blame the keeper and defenders if the game goes bad.

B) Take out the experienced defensive midfielder who has been commanding the field, who is also the captain, and put in a defender who has been transferred to Jeju from Seongnam.

C) Run immediately to VIP seats and ask Jung Mong Joon what to do.

2. The game ended 2-2. It wasn't a complete crisis but the last 20 minutes wasn't very pretty. Including hard away games, there is still the burden of playing 3 more games.

A) Analyze the problems from the previous games, and lead the players to focus on training again. Tell them that you can't always play good games and try to confront the problem. Make sure the players understand what needs to get better by themselves.

B) Tell the press, "Everything was because of the blunders of the keeper." Also state, "If the banned experienced keeper played, we would've won."

C) Take a bit of rest. Before leaving to the middle east, stop by Jakarta and drink with the older players.

3. KFA states that the ban on the experienced keeper cannot be lifted.

A) Understand that nothing can be done. You could've tried but since you have to follow the basic rules, you take the result without much reaction.

B) Act like you are very surprised. Insist that "I've never requested formally," and say the media has over exaggerated.

C) Feel a little relief that KFA is following the rules they have made. As the manager this is a very good sign.

4. The over-see players' conditions are pretty bad. You received much of praise against Turkmenistan, but disappointed against North Korea in Shanghai.

A) Criticize the media that has been saying that over-see players are MUCH better than K-leaguers. Understand that everyone played under much fatigue, and seriously contemplate the necessity of the over-see players.

B) Don't criticize the bad plays by two over-see players, but criticize the whole team.

C) Say that 0-0 is not a bad result and remember the days of Jeonnam Dragons. Smile and think, "as long as I do this much, I can keep this position."

5. In the end, you enter the final qualification round without much problems. But the weaknesses the defense showed against even the weaker team are obvious. Inspection and development phase is required for the upcoming final qualification round in September

A) Complete the most suitable defensive combination of players, and give them time to create teamwork. Give them many helps to create strong partnership.

B) Come back to Korea and say to the media, "There is no player in K-league that is suitable for 4-back line.

C) With no alternate choices, bring back Hong Myung Bo, Kim Tae Young, and Choi Jin Chul.

6. The star player is hurting from injuries and cannot play in the World Cup Qualification. But the player that came in for the star player scored a hat-trick. The star player, who is still hurt, is focusing on regaining the form for the upcoming match which holds no importance.

A) Give the star player some rest since the result of the upcoming game has no meaning. Remember that the star player came back from a very serious surgery. Since the player runs his hearts out regardless of the importance of the game, worry that his injury could worsen.

B) Tell the star player, "as long as you are in good condition, you can play."

C) Take the star player out to drink and remember the days of PSV.

7. The last game has become the chance to inspect the team before the final qualification round. This is a good chance to add more attacking power to the offense.

A) Put in a striker that is showing very good form in k-league. Remember that unlike last year, there are player that can score in k-league.

B) Use the striker that has 2 goals in this and last season combined, and has 18 goals in 108 k-league games.

C) Tell the media, "Goals are memories from past," and say that 0-0 is the future of the Korean soccer.

*If you chose 5 or more As,
    - Sorry, you are not fit to be the manager of NT. You are too considerate and sensitive to lead the KNT.

*If you chose 5 or more Bs,
    - Congratulation! You are perfect for the NT. You also have the ability to lead a k-league team to around 10th place!

*If you chose 5 or more Cs,
    - It seems you live in a fantasy land. You should consider becoming a football reporter.

3. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    appreciate it. thanks. gotta love duerden.

4. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
  5. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    hahaha... the irony of reverse translating duerden...

Really good job with the translation. Either you have a lot of experience doing this professionally or you are really john duerden.

6. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006
    lol nah.. just a college graduate who knows enough korean. Thanks for the compliment though.

I was really bored and just decided to do it. Maybe i should look into this as a job.

7. driftr

driftr New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    hi, i don't know much about soccer, so i have questions.

duerden's article is funny, but also very troubling.

how good is korea's coaching talent and in the k-leagues? do they have international experience outside of korea so they have better perspective? like this article was surprising to me

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=070000&biid=2008062483578

you can have the best talent in the world, but if the coaching doesn't develop and teach them properly, you can't succeed.