Locks, and spots still up for grabs

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dfb547490, Dec 13, 2005.

1. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    OP, I like your calls on Spector, Clark, and Dempsey because those are all players whose style and (media) personalities I like. But I don't see more than one of three making it.

And did I see Heath Pearce's name listed as an RM option? Maybe I mis-read that, but I thought it was widely discussed that he's exclusively left-footed.

Although I was initially very skeptical of his USMNT play, I do think a Ching who has fully recovered from his injury and had time to gain an understanding of his teammates (he seems to be very aware in terms of passing for the Earthquakes) might not be quite so dismal an option as you make it sound.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A left-footed left back, in fact. 20 minutes as a LM in a meaningless friendly does not a midfielder make. He may be in the mix for LB, but he's got a long hill to climb.

3. IUtwins

IUtwins New Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    I sure hope not. Noonan was playing excellent soccer before he went down with an ankle injury. The thing that most people don't realize is that the majority of the minutes Noonan got was with non-starters. He was trying to do the best he could with what he had. I believe if BA gives Noonan some time with LD, Beas, and the other starters that Pat will show how valuable he is. He can play almost anywhere on the field. Even though he is right footed, he is still very adept with the left as well. Pat also has some of the best field vision in the US in my opinion. He makes very aggressive passes that I think would link up better with the US starters than they have for the pot luck groups he has played with when in for the US. Also, I think most will agree that he is one of our better 1 v 1 players. We need guys to play this way and not always play the safe back pass. All in all, Noonan is definitely in a position where he is going to have to earn his space on the bench. However, BA needs to give him the chance. I think we will all be pleasantly surprised.