Lockhart Stadium

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by leca, Nov 9, 2003.

1. leca

leca New Member

Dec 20, 2001
    PB County
  2. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    Most excellent, dude :)

I would have preferred the South Florida Fusion, but I'll take anything!

I guess this finally puts an end to the drive for MLS, but that's ok.

3. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!!!

This is good news for our area! Unfortunetly I may have to move to NY for work in the next few months but it will not be permanent so I'll be there with the rest of you !!!

I agree with Stuart... "I would have preferred the South Florida Fusion, but I'll take anything!"

Yup, I'll take anything too!

4. soccer4sFlorida

soccer4sFlorida New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    Hudson said he will return to Fort Lauderdale, where he owns a home a few miles from Lockhart Stadium. He said he would consider another MLS coaching job, though none are presently available.

He could return to the television booth, where he worked before becoming the Fusion coach early in the 2000 season. Then there's the possibility of coaching at Lockhart Stadium again if local soccer promoter Eddie Rodger lands an A-League team for the 2005 season.

"It would be great to see football back there," Hudson said. "That's my town and I'd love to see it re-launched and prove a lot of people wrong. My first option would be to remain coaching in MLS, but an A-League team in Fort Lauderdale would be more than enticing. It would be too tempting to pass up."

5. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    Good luck down there!

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck guy's. I know i'll be making a road trip down there if you all get a team.

7. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    I'd be there...plus in 2005 we could get a nice inner state rivalry going with the new AJAX Orlando team...latest news going around is that they will jump into the A-League by 2006 at the latest instead of them joining up with the PDL in 2004.

Bring on the football action!

8. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    I wish I could feel more hopeful about getting a team. But, reading that article again just makes me think that all we have is the desire to make it happen, without actually having any specific investor in mind. In other words, nothing :-(

9. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    Having this in the press is the best thing we can ask for. We've had rumblings from Real Madrid about buying a team here and also intrest from Brazilian and Mexican clubs to host their Copa Lib. matches at the Orange Bowl. The more people see soccer in the press the more they will understand why South Florida and the MLS can work together.

10. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS?

Miami Lost Soccer

11. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes MLS,
    Miami Lost Soccer

12. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    With Soccer United Marketing(SUM) and MLS partnering together with the new so called INTERLIGA tournament...see http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/sum1208interliga.html
    ...(a new direct Libertadores tournament qualification tournament that will qualify two Mexican teams directly into the Libertadores Cup competition held in the US and promoted by SUM & MLS.) I do not see how, but in a matter of years, MLS must eventually take part in this Liberatores Competition with this INTERLIGA becoming probably the qualifying tournament for the two best North American leagues (US & Mexico)...already conveiniently scheduled for the offseasons of both the Mexican and US Premierships.

With that in mind it will be but elementary to bring on the Fusion. Giving a posible open slot into qualification to Latin America's most prestigous club tournament will certainly bring great attention and legitimacy to any MLS/Miami Franchise.

Mark my words this is the begining of the MLS' introduction into this hemispheres most presegious club tournament and will lead to the renaissance of the new Miami Fusion, F.C., in Miami proper in the coming years.

This is awesome! I'm definitely begining to see the light at the end of the tunnel for both US club soccer and professional 1st div Miami soccer.

PS: I hate to birst the bubble on all those excited about a possible new A-Leage franshise opening in 2005 with Ray Hudson and other Fusion old timers. That isn't going to get us anywhere, but sink us lower than were we are at. Playing division 2 sports of any kind is fine for medium to smaller metropolitan areas but not for Major Sports Metropoli and particularly the finiky Miami-Ft.Laurderdale-Palm Beach metropolis. It won't work any more than the New York Centaurs or the revamped Strikers of the APSL of the late 80's/early 90's.

You MLS haters have got to forget all the gripe and see reality. Hometown Pro Soccer excitement will never occur again in South Florida without MLS, PERIOD!

13. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MIkeT

We don't hate MLS! We hated their shortsighted approach to reality. I'm happy to hear that they are making progress perhaps Mr.Garber is no longer making decisions and that's why they are succeeding. The FUSION should have never been dismantled but they did and its done an so be it.

The City of Miami is undergoing a MAJOR renovation; I know because I'm directly involved in the process.

It's going to take a lot more then just words to make me trust MLS again. I was hoping MLS would burn and the USL would come to the forfront of US soccer.

14. soccer4sFlorida

soccer4sFlorida New Member

Oct 23, 2002
    LockhartSSS
    "PS: I hate to birst the bubble on all those excited about a possible new A-Leage franshise opening in 2005 with Ray Hudson and other Fusion old timers. That isn't going to get us anywhere, but sink us lower than were we are at. Playing division 2 sports of any kind is fine for medium to smaller metropolitan areas but not for Major Sports Metropoli and particularly the finiky Miami-Ft.Laurderdale-Palm Beach metropolis. It won't work any more than the New York Centaurs or the revamped Strikers of the APSL of the late 80's/early 90's."

this is 2004 Mike . I agree with all ...but I think
    You are slightly WRONG ,,, on this one…
    With the right money. .and the right investor, and the situation in MLS possibly coming back to S Florida… this is “genius” at work …if there is a “genius” investor I/O out there…????
    With the possible interest form Real and or MLS to come back in S. Florida, perhaps in a new
    stadium, accessible…from all, and for all…. Not that crap stadium *#*# !!
    the idea…of “A” in Lockhart is just phenomenal…
    By the time you get a team in Miami… we will have thousands of loyal fans, following the
    new Strikers… and when a new MLS comes to town, will have the ingredient of Passion..
    that is SO marketable …. down here … look at me and you… I am a Lockhart loyalist,
    you a Miami one… you will be able to support your new MLS team as I will be a renewed
    diehard for the new Strikers… and there are thousands of us… it is a very marketable,
    aspect of a early “A” in Lockhart

this Market needs two pro teams, to be more successful…. One North… one South.,
    the demographics, calls for this… one “A” and one b, MLS

I see, in a cross tow rivalry…. more fans showing for both teams…
    starting with the Lamar Hunt darby… on, and on… just need good management in the clubs
    I would be a supporter of both… a season ticket holder for both…. but a loyalist to
    the new Strikes, and you can thank this attitude toMLS, but in along run…they created
    something … a rivalry which can be very marketable…

I hope you can see my point…finicky market ? yes, and demographically diverse, and
    mentality diverse…which ? is very positive…. You have the Eurosnobs/Americans on one side
    on the North side
    and the Hispanic/Americans on the South side…
    ,….the old and new Lockhart/Strikers supporters, and
    possibly the new MLS Miami supporters… the ones whom will support Hudson, at Lockhart
    and the ones whom don’t like Lockhart… it is a great thing, CANT wait

I wish I had the money….I would run with this idea, and put a team in Lockhart today

Fusion 2001
    Strikers 2005
    the rest of MLS just $*#*#*#, garberdge soccer

15. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Can't say I agree with this statement. Rochester seems to quite well with an A League team. In my opinion, this is a great way (if not the only way) to regenerate professional soccer in Florida. If you guys can average 10,000 to 12,000 on a consistent basis in Lockhart, you'll find yourselves back in the MLS again.

16. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's a tough one to buy!

We were averaging 10K-12K attendance when we shut down.

So, its looks like MLS is looking to get in with the BIG BOYS and they want to do it for FREE.

If you pay someone for sex that makes them a prostitute.

if you do it for Free>> you know what that is!

17. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's a tough one to buy!

We were averaging 10K-12K attendance when we shut down.

So, its looks like MLS is looking to get in with the BIG BOYS and they want to do it for FREE.

If you pay someone for sex that makes them a prostitute.

if you do it for Free>> you know what that is!
    it kind rhymes with "Horrobitch" the previous owner of the Fusion.

18. river

river Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Cooper City
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: LockhartSSS .. SF Strikers

Rumor has it that Lockhart will open its gates to the public to the 2007 Season. As of now there is a 60-40 chance that it will be a reality.

19. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston
    Re: LockhartSSS .. SF Strikers

A lady!!

20. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC
  21. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Re: Tearing down Lockhart?! Another reason to hate baseball!

No need to hate baseball Steve, but it would be a shame to tear down the stadium with plans afoot to start a USL team there.

22. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England

How about hating the Orioles. In exchange for tearing down soccer facilities that are used year round by the locals, they want to build an Orioles spring training facilities that will be used a mere six weeks a year by a bunch of out of towners. Where is the logic in that? Let them build elsewhere.

Lighting a virtual candle in memory of the old Ft. Lauderdale Strikers and Lockhart Stadium.:(

23. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.

Hate????

24. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England

Love????

.....seriously what is so hard to understand? I'm not advocating that we boycott the Orioles or anything, it's just that they have earned a black mark in my book. What business do they have asking for giveaways from the local government which will benefit themselves at the expense of local schools and local soccer players?

25. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA

God forbid someone isnt looking out for soccer players. The Orioles complex will probably bring in more tax revenue for the community in its six weeks of operation then the soccer field would in the entire year. With that money they can improve the schools.