Locker Room Access - What the Quakes Said After Sunday Night

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by San Jose Earthquakes, Nov 11, 2003.

1. San Jose Earthquakes

Sep 27, 2002
    San Jose
  2. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Locker Room Access-What the Quakes Said After Sunday Night

Then once the reporters left and Landon could be himself, he went through the locker room yelling "WE LIVE! WE LIVE!"

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Landon Donovan, on game: “I was telling Bruce [Arena, U.S. National Team coach] that tonight’s game was faster than most international games are. The speed of play was unbelievable and we stepped up and matched it."

This is a tremendous tribute to the Spartan grounds crew who took a wet and potentially heavy field and made it playable to that level.

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Locker Room Access-What the Quakes Said After Sunday Night

Hehe! That's a great picture! :D

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff.

I want even more!!

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Actually, Landon paraphrased Pelé (after the latter had just won the 1970 World Cup):

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "WE ARE NOT DEAD! WE ARE NOT DEAD! WE ARE NOT DEAD!"

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :D

-G

7. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone

Then again, he could have been channelling Rowdy Roddy Piper in the fine sci-fi thriller "They Live"...

"I HAVE COME HERE TO CHEW BUBBLEGUM AND KICK A$$...AND I JUST RAN OUT OF BUBBLEGUM."

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the quote sheet, these stood out...

Troy Dayak: "Tonight was unbelievable. We were the lion-hearts tonight."

It's somewhat cliched, but oh so true.

Big Troy, again: "There weren’t any doubts that we could pull this off. After we got four goals, I knew we were going to go on and win this thing. Even when Goose went down, the crowd was our extra player out there. The crowd was everything to us. I saw a sign down at the end during the whole second half that said ‘We Believe In You.’ That kept me going."

A credit to all who went to the game, what synergy.

Two quotes from Landon Donovan: "When we snuck that second goal in [before halftime], we knew we really had a chance. We knew we could beat a team 3-0 in one half. We score five or six goals at practice every day, so why can’t we do it?"

"So much for that goal-scoring drought we had. We score when it matters. To be honest, I think Los Angeles was the fitter team, but you can’t measure how big our hearts are. I don’t know many teams who would keep going after [being down four goals], and we did."

What self-belief, and what bravado, all at once.

This team definitely has a swagger about itself going into Saturday's game.

9. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember hearing that, in the EPL, they water the pitch before games to make the ball move faster, and the game more fast paced in general. Could the water that was left on the field have helped the game? This is just something that I have heard, and I could be wrong.

10. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    wet grass = fast
    soggy pitch = slow

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    And as horrible as the foundation of the Spartan pitch is, that makes it slow and heavy when it takes on moisture...usually.

12. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    I think we maybe want a slower pitch, since it's rather tight.

I read that the Fire players used to call Soldier "The Jungle" because the grass was so long. Could've been kept long for the Bears or for their aging Eastern Euros, but I bet it made a small field better for soccer all the same.