Localism in Youth teams?

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by tedfirestone, Mar 14, 2007.

1. tedfirestone

tedfirestone Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I don't know much about how the MLS youth teams are run?

Are the majority of the players locals from a given MLS city?

If not I believe that this should be the case. Imagine if the majority of the American born MLS players played for the team nearest to where they grew up. You can see this in a number of European clubs. Totti was a local who came through the Roma youth system, and Rooney repped his local Liverpool side Everton before getting transferred. It would be cool if they did this in the United States so there would be an essence of pride in local youth development as reflected by the quality of players on MLS sides. I think you could create greater club loyatly through this from players and supporters as well as a greater connection between teams and their citys. This could also create greater rivalries between teams.

This is an area that to me seems neglected by the other major American Sports. International players would still be vital parts of teams but this could be a way to localize the American players on these squads.

Let me know how these MLS youth sides are formatted and what you think about my vision for these youth sides.