Local media is confusing.

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SnakeEyes, Oct 21, 2003.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    OK, so WOI, our local ABC station, just did a story on how the professional sports stars who are viewed by kids as role models, such as Kobe Bryant, are confusing kids and putting parents in akward situations. Yet throughout the entire piece they show nothing but young kids playing soccer games. The parents and coaches they interviewed were all from these soccer games. Then they end it saying that most parents they talked to said the kids are too young to even look up and follow professional athletes, such as Kobe Bryant. I'm not sure what to think of this, but it felt odd and I thought I'd post about it. While watching the footage I just sat there scratching my head asking why the media was asking soccer parents/coaches about problems that, in the US anyone, exist in sports other than soccer.

2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Seems simple enough. Because as kids playing a sport (which sport was clearly deemed irrelevant) it is assumed they are at some level sports fans and probably admire famous athletes. As this is the US, it was assumed that they primarily watch the “standard” sports. The point was that they were kids, not that they were playing soccer.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very simple. They knew people would be there.

Don't overthink how media outlets - especially TV - go for the opinion of people. It generally has more to do with proximity to their station and/or where they are going to eat that day than anything else.

4. bettendor

bettendor New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Iowa
    And remember: we are talking about WOI. As anyone is Des Moines knows, it's not the greatest newscast in the area.