News: Local Crew Coverage: The Media Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Mar 3, 2009.

1. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Adam Jardy did the same thing we had to temporarily take over the beat recently. He even went so far as to make a Reddit post asking for ideas.

On the one hand, I appreciate the notion. On the other hand, if you are a sports reporter I'm assuming you are also a sports fan, which means you should understand what kind of stories fans are interested in reading.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, it's mostly just a pretend exercise. You'll get all sorts of batshit crazy ideas via social media. The implication is that you sincerely want ideas from fans. But, really????

3. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Could just be something that the boss is having them do.

She's been covering the #2 OSU women's basketball team and has been doing well with that. Women's sports seems to be where her heart is.

4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dispatch needs to get to your level, @Minnman. The Crew may be in pre-season mode, while you are in prime mid-season form.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she wants to pick our brains, I dont mind a bit. I think we can all agree that virtually everyone here knows more about soccer and has more insight into whats going on with the club than she does. Thats not ego or boasting thsts just fact.

And its OK. Nobody expects her to be a 10 or 20 year Crew fan and we all know she hasnt spent countless hours watching ( and playing and coaching) soccer at all levels over many years. Its impossible to get up to speed in 3 months. Cant be done.

But if she wsnts to tap the collective knowledge of this forum, she needs to come here and ask. Its not up to us to seek her out.

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't really belong here, but...

Near as I can tell, MLS refs have been without a contract and beyond their potential strike date since Jan. 31. There seems to have been virtually no reporting on this situation in February.

I mean, it's not a small issue. As much as we bitch about the quality of MLS refs, rather doubt that a bunch of even less experience stand-ins would be any better. Has anyone seen any recent reporting about this?

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... I follow the PSRA - Professional Soccer Referees Association on FB (really). They put out something two days ago about a Tentative Agreement on a new CBA. Voting yesterday/today?

I am sure someone around here knows more though.

Minnman repped this.
  8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw something similar on Twitter.

9. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

PRSA Refs will likely be locked out for opening day. We'll have non-union refs officiating.

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    That's a pretty resounding rejection of the leadership by the membership. What is the reason for rejection?

Unfortunately, some MLS game are likely to be decided by poor calls next weekend.

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So… normal weekend?

TKyle, YITBOS, kgilbert78 and 2 others repped this.
  12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Maybe. I wonder if some teams will be more physical in hopes of intimidating the ref from handing out cards. Or we may see more diving than usual.

Does USL have video assistant refs? I wonder who will be doing that job?

13. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Last time, MLS hired management level refs (Chapman and such) and FIFA/CONCACAF refs. This applies to everyone wearing those PRO jerseys during the game and the guys in the VAR booth. We might get better refs, but USL-C will get high school or college. MLSNP and USL 1-2 employ refs through a different contractor associated with PRO, and the CBA between that contractor and union has not expired.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bogert mis-characterised the situation. There's very little chance that leadership "endorsed" a deal that close to 100% of the union didn't like.

I think that was a pro forma procedure; they can't call for a strike ( or get ownership to look them out) based only on a rejection by the negotiators.

It was a necessary step in the process.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Bogert has a piece today saying that Mark Geiger will be doing video reviews. I don't think MLS is set up with a central review room like the NFL has so I suppose there will be VAR officials at each stadium. They are bringing in some refs from other CONCACAF countries.

Sounds like the USL-C guys aren't available.

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPBN has a pretty long article about the current situation:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39544837/mls-set-begin-stand-refs-cba-dispute-goes-on

Including this:

17. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Jamaican third division? Oh Lordy.

18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my first thought - I wonder how much of a factor 97.1's app vs iHeart Radio was in the decision.

21. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This leaves the Browns and Blue Jackets as the only two Big 5 sport teams in Ohio with a non-iheart flagship.

22. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TuneIn would have solved it.

23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    97.1 crappy app to iHeart.
    Not great to not great.

Kryptonite repped this.
  24. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022
    https://www.columbusmonthly.com/sto...ted-unlikely-path-to-the-mls-cup/72685139007/

Good story about Nancy, something I haven’t heard before about him:

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great share.

[Nancy’s understanding of psychology directly plays into the X’s and O’s of his strategy. Some of that inspiration comes from observing his 12-year-old daughter and 7-year-old son, who constantly “re-educate” him on human nature. “We are all human beings,” he says. “We are big kids.”

How do Nancy’s kids inform his coaching? For one thing, “When I play with my son, when he doesn’t win, he cries. So I don’t need to tell my player that ‘you have to win’ because I know that they’re going to be upset [if they lose].” Instead, he coaches them to stick to the plan and play to the best of their ability. Similarly, when his kids rejected instruction about how to putt a golf ball in favor of figuring it out themselves, Nancy was reminded that pro athletes often need space to find their own solutions, too.]

Kids can teach you a whole lot about living if you let them.