News: Local Crew Coverage: The Media Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "That's not a moon--it's a soccer ball"

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Far more interesting character development. Kei is an adult confronted with the responsibilities of an adult, and lives more in the grey than the black and white.

Star Wars is a kids movie dressed up and a timeless epic.

3. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you just described Luke Skywalker

4. svc641

svc641 Member+

Aug 19, 2014
    West Liberty
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you meant Skywanker.

5. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #630 Ch(Elsey), Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Thank you to the posters in this thread (circa ‘15) for catching me up on the podcast incident without actually having to listen to a two-hour podcast. I mean no offense to anyone reading this post who was on that podcast (except HWSNBN - fvck you). I tend to forget that Crew fans outside of those who post on here read our nerdy posts.

I necro-repped posts, and I am necro-quoting this zinger from Zip.

Hamburgler03 and Draghignazzo repped this.
  6. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick! Someone with a sub read this and tell me all about the Babe!

Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  7. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precourt outsourced everything. We know how well that goes. See: Boeing.

Dee has everything in house. She is so great. Soooo lovely.

Thanks for the necro-bump, @chr1st. Another reminder that we have such classy folks in charge. People who are:
    A) Not stupid, and
    B) Appreciate passionate fans because some of them are originally fans.

Etc., etc., etc.

I never heard the side from the folks on the podcast (not that I could even identify them to save my life). Would love to hear their thoughts these days. He was a slime-ball doofus in person, yes?

8. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I post the whole article, or is that frowned upon in these parts?

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I believe mods don't like that. You could give us the Cliff's Notes version.

10. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cliff's notes:
    • Off the field, things haven’t looked much better. Columbus are 23rd in MLS in attendance with an average of 13,647 through 13 home games. That’s up from their 2018 average of 12,447,
    • The front office experienced major attrition in the final months of the Precourt era, and, by the start of 2019, the club had been ripped to its studs. According to Bezbatchenko, the Crew only had “30-to-35” full-time employees on the business side when he took over, significantly short of the number needed to successfully run an MLS club. With so few staffers and so much uncertainty around the team’s future, the Crew understandably fell short in their 2019 group sales efforts and had little ability to tailor their home schedule to their needs, something almost all clubs engage with MLS to do each offseason. From the standpoint of short-term business goals, it was essentially a lost winter.
    • “Obviously, we had the players, we have a solid roster, but we’ve been hit by injuries,” said Bezbatchenko. “We have DPs, but in terms of the high-level players who are making above the TAM threshold (of $1.53 million per year), we didn’t have any. And so when you have injuries to those guys that are sort of in that $1 million range, to not be able to replace even those players, that’s a challenge in our league. But that’s the fun part about it. You get knocked down, you get up and you figure out who you are in these moments.”
    • The business side of the operation has grown tremendously, with Bezbatchenko saying the club now has 73 full-timers, more than double the number at the time of his arrival.
    • Bezbatchenko also offered some updates on the club’s future downtown stadium, which, despite earlier reports that stated it would be ready at the start of the 2021 season, the Crew now hope to open by July 2021. He said that the club now owns all the land on which the stadium will be built, but that the team is still negotiating with Columbus-based Nationwide Insurance for several parcels that they’re looking to acquire for part of a broader, mixed-use development. The Crew have until Aug. 15th to reach a land-purchase agreement with Nationwide, or else the club will have to exercise an option to extend the deadline by up to a year. Bezbatchenko was confident that everything would proceed according to plan, though, adding that the team plans to break ground on the stadium itself on Oct. 10th.
    • Current plans have the stadium seating 20,500 and costing $244.9 million.
    • The moves should move Columbus out of the Berhalter era — when, as Bezbatchenko put it, “the coach was kind of the star” — and bring the team more in-line with Porter’s preferences. They should also be just the start. Crew ownership is committed to raising the amount the club spends on the first team. Bezbatchenko “didn’t want to just go in the first year and sort of blow our brains out (on spending) without understanding who we are and what this project is about,” but he made clear that Columbus will spend in the same realm as teams like Portland — who live in the tier below the league’s biggest spenders — over the course of the “next few transfer windows.”
    • The club also plan to hire a director of player personnel underneath Onstad, are working to build out their scouting department and are weighing whether to start their own USL team.
    • “We’re just really proud to be in Ohio and in Columbus, and we want to make sure that people know how proud we are and that we’re not going to apologize to anyone,” he said. “We’re going to be who we are, we’re going to own it and we’re gonna be bold and aggressive in the way that we act. It’s going to be exciting, and we’re starting to some of the things and the some of the creative and some of the pillars of our organization starting to come together.”
    tl;dr - The future is bright.

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much thanks for all those notes, @LaMacchia.

That part on the differences between GGG and Porter is interesting. Would love to hear more on it (from anywhere/anyone).

12. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #637 Draghignazzo, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Excepts and links. Posting whole content is considered de classe, and might even violate the terms of use. You'd likely face the dreaded *MOD EDIT*. Stupidfaces.

chr1st repped this.
  13. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    This is clearly the biggest reason we didn't see the giant jump in attendance that we hoped to see. I would expect to be up around the 17k average next season given the FO will have a fully staffed team for an entire offseason to get things rolling.

One other factor is that many people around town are still under the impression that the team is moving. I would expect to see a huge marketing push this offseason as part of the drive to sell season tickets. They need to make it impossible for people in Columbus to not know that the team is here to stay, and I believe they will at least attempt to do just that.

TheUltra, Draghignazzo and Kryptonite repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    stanger, hangthadj, Draghignazzo and 2 others repped this.
  16. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
  17. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crew is older than Jacob Myers.

18. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *blows dust off thread*

Ahem.

The estimable @pjguldan is stepping down as Managing Editor of Massive Report.

I don't know Patrick personally, but I greatly appreciate all the work he's done covering the Crew with Massive Report. He and his team admirably filled the Crew media void over the years.

Kudos to you, sir!

19. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big, big loss. But it's been more than a decade, Mr. Guldan has more than earned his retirement.

associa_tionfootball repped this.
  20. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    New jerseys are yellow

TyphonInc and POdinCowtown repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bally’s is finally coming out with a direct to consumer streaming option to watch local games.

Its $20 a month, or $190 a year.

https://thestreamable.com/news/sinclair-announces-initial-pricing-for-bally-sports-dtc-streaming-app

I don’t like the price, but one thing to keep in mind is that this is for all sports in the market, so that’s Crew and Blue Jackets, and I’m not sure what the deal is with the Reds, Guardians, and Cavs. If they are all included too, then….

I’m very slowly getting back into hockey, so it would be nice to watch CBJ, but with the season basically over, and the Hulu loophole still open for the Crew, I won’t even think about signing up for a while. I don’t care about NBA or MLB. For me $20 is a bit much, I probably would sign up for $10.

Thoughts?

BTW: it says to watch stuff in your market, so I assume that means you have to physically be in the market to watch your local teams. Of course, if you were out of market you’d just sign up for $7 a month with ESPN+

22. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No flipping way. I just did a brief check from his Dispatch one paragraph bio -- graduated 2018 from tOSU and he hopes to be able to see a Premier League game in person someday.

Now, when I read an article, the term "Sweet Summer Child" pops into mind.

Bill Archer repped this.
  23. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You haven't really missed any action for the Jackets over the last week, or so. Probably not worth signing up for them just yet!

I'll probably sign up because I'm a glutton for punishment. Bally was nothing but trouble through Spectrum - used Spectrum streaming and apps. Got to the point where I would rather not watch than jump through a crazy amount of hoops and have their tech support email me four days later.

24. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to look it up, but I don't recall the Guardians or Reds being on the list of MLB teams they got the rights to for the streaming service.

25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those RSNs are owned by Sinclair. Are you saying that doesn’t include just streaming? Because MLB has a streaming platform? I don’t follow baseball at all, so I don’t know.