Local 138 (100% Full)

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by dirtypete, Jan 21, 2010.

1. crosswiredmind

crosswiredmind BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2010
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is looked down upon when it happens in the River End. The goal of the Sons of Ben code of conduct is to support the team on game day, home or away, no matter what happens on the field. Complaints are fine everywhere except in the River End. We are trying to be the 12th man on the field. We can't do that if we boo, harass or criticize out team from the stands.

2. crosswiredmind

Aug 15, 2010
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we are trying to be united. To be as loud as possible, but sounding like one voice. The folks in your part of 138 are seen by many as disrupting what we are trying to build.

Have you seen Timbers Army in Portland? Do you think that the folks around you are helping us to match that kind of support, or is that hindering our ability to create a truly electric atmosphere at PPL?

That is why that part of 138 (along with other small groups in other sections) is looked down upon. That behavior, and the people that participate in it, are perceived as the pinnacle of douchbaggery.

I am sure that on a personal level you and the folks around you are cool, likeable, and all around nice folks. The trouble is that many of us see what you do, and do not know who you are.

My question is why does that part of the section NOT want to join in with the rest of the River End? Why not help the capos spread the chants? Why curse out the people who are trying to make the River End a 2000 voice chorus?

3. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they get to jump on the seats I should be able to stand on them!

4. kepps

kepps New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah I understand that and agree. Your point about he 12th man is valid. Again, I am not supporting or advocating the vicious berating of our team, like the Califf comment mentioned earlier...someone {and I honestly don't know who} crossed the line there, I get it. But there IS a line and there are, therefore, acceptable and perfectly appropriate ways to voice frustration with players...we all remember the roller coaster with Seitz...and for the most part, we in TRE tried every game to boost his confidence. Let's be honest, fans criticizing their own players or team is as much a part of sports as is citizens criticizing the government. In many ways, it reveals their love and passion for the team or city or country...and this is especially true in Philadelphia. Again, I hear what you are saying about the river end...

5. kepps

kepps New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Again, those chants...are not exclusive nor are they deliberately trying to dis unify or disrupt the section. I hope you understand that I met those guys last year sitting as a loud and committed supporter...and didn't find their actions or chants disruptive to my game day experience and, like others, found it harmless...I even join in occasionally like many others in the area who aren't "with" those guys. They generally do not disrupt other chants, they are usually said during lulls in the chanting/cheering or stop if and when another chant begins...clearly that is why other people know about them and haven't written shit here about it, because the hear it...when there is no other chanting occurring. Again, it is fun, positive, and open to everyone...it doesn't cure, it doesn't berate, it doesn't prevent other chants. Again, the clap clap clap...is done in unison with those supporters who are physically clapping during the Philly chant. And again, most of them/us (I particularly) do chant and watch the game closely.

6. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually they do not do the clap clap clap solely in unison with the chants. In fact they have added it to chants that do not have clapping in it. An easy way to solve it is to do what 99.9% of the RE does. Actually clap. If you are physically unable to clap for whatever reason then just let it go or put down your drink.

7. kepps

kepps New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  8. sdmandel

sdmandel New Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I sit in row F with my friend. We're in right in the middle of the group of controversial people. We've been to every game except for those where we have been away at school (Boston and Syracuse respectively). I will say with certainty that we all are very committed to the Union and to the SoB, but most importantly to supporting our club. We may not be the fans that march into the stadium or go to the SoB tailgates, but come 7:30, we are in our seats and we are 100% behind the team. What we do has no malicious intent nor do we intend to ruin any chants that the SoB as a whole are doing. The mere fact that we have had a target on our backs for the past month or two (we do, that's not up for debate), makes every small, small "offense" that we commit, honestly, get made bigger than it should get. I'm not arguing that we have been the perfect supporters, but neither are half of the other fans. We hold our scarfs high (for those who bring them) and we SUPPORT OUR TEAM. A lot of people need to get over themselves and realize that we are just a group of fans looking to have fun while backing the Union.

9. doopRAD

doopRAD Member

Aug 31, 2010
    OneThreeEight
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I think its big of you guys to come on here and try to have an open discussion about things, i applaud you truthfully. Lets just move on to the next match and bring the ruckus. and now if people have an issue they know they can come on here or talk to you in person. I mean at least whomever kepps is. You should get a jersey that says Kepps so people know who the guy with all the class is.

10. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kepps & sdmandel- I'll second the fact that cool that you two are willing to post and discuss things.

I don't think it's your passion or level of support that is being called out, but more of the fact that we are trying to get everyone in the River End on the same page during chants. And it's not a matter of trying to kill creativity and originally, or trying to get people to act like sheep (as other posters have commented); but rather create a cohesive group. I can only imagine what 2,000 people doing the same chant in time would sound like, because it hasn't happened yet. And I honestly think it never will.

Good or bad, there are pockets of fans that have no desire to create that unity. Please don't feel that your group is being singled out, you're not, there are others that we deal with every match.

I'm in the front of 138 and try to lead the side closest to 137 the best I can, I've been doing it since last year and honestly I'm tired of it. I'm tired of missing the match trying to get people engaged, only to have people either stand with arms crossed or off doing their own thing. It's no longer fun. And it's a shame.

If I can ask one thing of you two; why not for the next match, be on the same page as the capos. Help spread the songs in the middle of the section and towards the top. Get the fans who are just standing there engaged. We are all there for the same purpose, to support our team.

The inside collar of the our jersey says "We Are One"; I would love, just for one night to have 90 minutes of the River End being as one.

/end rant

11. crosswiredmind

Aug 15, 2010
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to add to the sentiments others have expressed that I really do appreciate you coming here and talking things through. I do not doubt that you are as passionate a fan, and as dedicated to the Sons of Ben as I am. I completely respect what you are contributing to this discussion.

While I agree that we need small groups throughout the River End to bring their own unique flavor to each section. We have a bunch of inside jokes in 136. When there are gaps in the chants, we tend to fill them with our own unique contributions.

But what you may not see, because it is hard to see when you are in the middle of it, is that these inside jokes and pet chants can interfere with the main chants as they spread out from the launch pads in front of 137.

Last season I was not a season ticket holder (unemployment is a beatch) so I stood at the back of 136, 137, and 138 for most games. What I noticed was this - wherever there was a small group doing their own thing they essentially blocked the main chants from moving past them.

Again, that is hard to see when you are in one of those small groups. My suggestion is to do the fun insider stuff during the lulls in the chanting and singing and that latch on to the main chant once it reaches you.

Also - if you do not like the main chants then feel free to write to any of the elders and offer up your thoughts. If you have suggestions, then feel free to pass them on as well.

I think we can be one voice, keep the local flavor, and make the whole River End the best supporters section in the league.

Cheers!

12. KMac82588

KMac82588 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Haddonfield, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, shit got real serious in here real quick.

Anyone else have problems with people bringing friends into the section and crowding the rows? Like more people standing in a row then their are seats?

13. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  14. ventur514

ventur514 Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the time; I usually give it a few minutes and then let them know they need to clear out. Be polite about it and it's usually not an issue.

15. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every match. The people on the end of my row routinely try to put 4 people in 2 seat's worth of space

16. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question here. Why's this such a big deal? I've had people do this in my area and we try to accommodate them, even if it means sacrificing a little bit of your personal space. Granted we're not talking about a group of 10 people cramming into a row. Just curious, that's all.

17. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeh this happens in my section all the time, we just shuffle down and make room.

18. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacrificing some space is one thing, but it's not like the seats are that far apart. You shouldn't have to sacrifice ALL of your space. You should be able to stand shoulder to shoulder and be able to lift your arms without bumping someone.

19. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's a problem because we're talking enough space that I literally end up with someone in my row standing in front of me - makes clapping or anything hard

20. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is for those of us on the end of the row who don't have anywhere to shuffle to except the aisle. We end up either standing in the aisle or having someone standing in front of/behind us.

21. crosswiredmind

Aug 15, 2010
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what elbows are for.

22. AndyPace_SoB

AndyPace_SoB Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Levittown
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, hope to see 138 represented in the march into the stadium this week. We are trying to bring back the old march, with lots of numbers. If you're interested in joinin, check out the thread on here for the dallas march. We'll be going over some of the newer songs before hand as well.

23. jimlogue

jimlogue Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Medford, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an idea for the next 138 TIfo. Not 100% sure of how to do it but something along the lines of "It puts the ball in the net or it gets the hose again." Thoughts?

24. Mr Tips

Mr Tips Member

May 10, 2006
    Philadelphia; 138
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm kind of not into taunting our own team.

25. sully127

sully127 Member

Apr 3, 2010
    138, C
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: creepy

:D