Liverpool vs TNS [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ULL NEVER WALK ALONE, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Nope, gone..........

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah I knew he'd been released. But at least he's at least attracting interest from Championship (is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?) clubs. Career in the lower division is better than nothing, I guess. You could do a lot worse than Coventry, Leeds or Norwich.

3. NC RED

NC RED Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Charlotte NC USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Ostemboor is also gone, I think Rotherham. As well as Biscan and Kirkland.
    Dudek and Baros are hinting at leaving and shouldnt be cup tied.

Here is the squad I would put out assuming Dudek and Baros will not be risked to be cup tied, especially if at least Figo or Crouch will come in.

Reina(Im sure Rafa will see what he has right away)

Finnan Carragher Hyppia Traore

Hammann Alonso Gerrard

Garcia

Cisse Morientes

Subs:Any of the following
    G Carson
    D Barragan
    D Josemi
    M Zenden(Will play a lot)
    M Riise
    S Figo/Crouch(May not sign in time)
    S Le Tallec

In addition HOW MANY strikers are we willing to sign.
    Current Squad
    1. Cisse
    2. Morientes(not cup tied anymore)
    3. Baros(Could be shipped out)
    4. Mellor(Coming off injury)
    5. Pongolle(Coming off injury)
    6. Le Tallec
    7.8. Psedo strikers Garcia, Kewell(injured)
    Figo(Looks likely)
    Crouch(Redknapp feels he will go to LFC)

I personally see Baros gone or we wont bring in Crouch. We'll see. I think Crouch is money we should hold onto. I like what Rafa has done with limited cash. We will barely get into double digits if we dont pick up Crouch. With the sale of Diouf and Diarra it should be a wash.

In addition we have got rid of some major salaries even with Gerrard and Figo we will be ahead. Rafa understands the financial situation a football team has and unlike Houllier who spent heavy handed and had a huge squad with salaries, a smaller team with better quality is best for Liverpool. Smaller meaning not a million palyers that have never set foot or dont have a chance to make the team.

Saving salaries also means more to spend on transfers. It all comes out of the same kitty. Well done Rafa, but stop with the forwards.

4. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. When I break out the acerbic wit on message boards, I should remember to use more ;)s and :)s.

What I posted was the lineup for Burnley from last year, as a subtle reminder to those who might see this tie as a chance to get our young'uns some European experience.

5. lackadaisical

lackadaisical Member

Jul 9, 2004
    memphis
    How many times does it have to be said, they won't be cup-tied by playing in these early qualifying games. It's complicated, but it isn't until the later that players can be cup-tied.

6. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    True,Didi was a class act,but it was the Xabi-Didi partnership that destroyed milan,not only DiDi.and why,because DiDi and Xabi have played many games together and have a better understabding of eachother.The 3 months gerrard was out injured,Xabi and Didi played together for most of that 3 months,so they do have a good understanding between each other.I think we should let gerrard and xabi develop there partnership to see what they can realy do together,and show what its realy worth(i mean,between them we have around 50 million pounds,they should work together,dont you think?)

7. osme

osme New Member

Jul 31, 2003

You can say it as often as you want, doesn't make it true

8. SiriuslyCold

SiriuslyCold Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    the rules are here http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf

Section VIII, para 15.07 (paraphrased) states: excluding the first three rounds of the InterToto cup and subject to para 15.13, a player may not play for another club in the current season. A sub who is not fielded is entitled provided he is registered accordingly.

Para 15.12 says a club may register a maximum of 3 new players

Para 15.13 (paraphrased) states: from the quota of 3 players in 15.12, ONE player who has played in another UEFA competition may be registered provided his new club is participating an a competition other than his former club is/has participated in.

------------------

So, I guess this all means that a player is cup tied in UCL all season as long as he has played, even during the qualifiers.

He can play for another club only if he is a unused sub

If he plays at all, he can only play in a different competition.

9. osme

osme New Member

Jul 31, 2003
    i was too lazy to post all that....

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    good for your resume...

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Hamman and Alonso are two different players. Didi is a true defensive mid, and is able to take on attacking mids like Kaka, and hold them back. Alonso isn't capable of doing that (look at the CL final). Hamman and Gerrard work together because Didi is capable of playing from the midfield back, and Gerrard is capable of playing from the midfield forward. Alonso isn't capable of playing the same defensive role that Hamman does, IMO.

In reality, you argue for my point by using the Didi-Xabi partnership. In that partnership, Hamman was the defensive-minded player, and Xabi was the attacking-minded player.

12. NC RED

NC RED Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Charlotte NC USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I dont recall it being said but I guess once will do. I dont know what the speculation on whether Gerrard would play without a deal was then?

Thanks for the info, though.

13. NC RED

NC RED Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Charlotte NC USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess Lacadaisical was a little lacadaisical with its information.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    And last year, that Owen was kept on the bench (but not out of the squad) against Graz was seen as a sign that he was headed out.

15. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Wrexham outing we'll need to play our best back line most of the game as our back ups suck. But we have a lot of firepower going forward.

-------Reina
    Finnan---Carra--Sami--Riise
    ----------DiDi
    Garcia---Alonso--SG--Zenden
    ----------Moro

16. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005
    I think baros should get the start after his performance vs. wrexham. Moro scored two goals but he looked a little uncoordinated out there.

17. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    Moro looked like he was playing in pain, to me. he kept wincing. hopefully he just got a knock on that early tackle and its nothing.

18. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be surprised to see Baros at all. See above in the content of this thread.. Cup-tied and all that.

19. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    Same with Jerzy. I can't believe he is going to make 65K this year and 70K next year! Clearly GH was throwing money at anyone who said that he had lost some weight.

20. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sound like a fun bunch of guys but being the only full time club in the Welsh league you'd expect them to score goals....against the others, not us.

Funny one of my cousins played in Wales, I'll see him in Oct. when we go to Anfield.

22. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well,the defence of our crown will begin tomorrow,but i think we should still take it easy!My line-up
    -----------Reina
    --Finnan--Hyypia--CR--Riise
    -Garcia--Xabi-----Gerrard---Zenden
    ---------Cisse-------Moro

23. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that is taking it easy, the rest of the league better watch out. :cool:

24. stevieg987

stevieg987 Member

Mar 20, 2005

true true

I think that baros will reject any transfer unless told by benitez to get the f out.

MY lineup

-------reina-------
    finnan--carra--hypiaa---traore
    ---hamaan---alonso----gerrard
    --------zenden----garcia----
    --------?????????????------

25. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Against a player like Kaka, I agree that Hamann is very important. But there aren't many Kaka's around. And there are very few teams in England that play with a man "in the hole" behind the front two. That makes Hamann's role in the team less essential. A Gerrard/Alonso partnership can be very effective, especially against lesser opposition. It also allows us to play with 2 up front.

My lineup would be:

---------------Reina
    Finnan--Carragher--Hyppia--Riise
    Garcia----Gerrard---Alonso--Zenden
    -----------Cisse--Morientes