Liverpool vs Derby County [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Springbok FC, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What, no one?

OK then, since you asked ;)

In August and September 1998, we started the season with a tricky 2-1 away win. Then, we had to settle for a home draw against title rivals. For our third game, we travelled up to the North East to play a celebrity manager and his limited but up-for-it side and gained an ultimately comfortable victory. Following the international break, we then thumped a relative minnow in our fourth game to go top of the league with a game in hand over our closest rival and the best goal difference in the division.

We finished seventh that season.

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I almost got that but was busy searching my archives ;) Coventry had me stumped, though.

I also recall a season with Houlier when we won 10 out 12 games or something like that. We subsequently imploded, finishing 5th. In other words, many a slip 'twixt lip and cup. But I like this start.

3. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The best thing about our start is that we haven't conceded a goal from open play yet. Only the two penalties.

Torres is not only the quickest bastard I've seen in a while, he's a strong son of a bitch! Love him!

4. SiriuslyCold

SiriuslyCold Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    Wonder if the team knows this. History will only repeat itself if we don't learn :p

5. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    We have started well before and not ended up as Champions. I don't see that as being particularly relevant or indicative of future events. Everyone knows that it is better to start well than not start well.

If we are aiming for about 90 pts then we have 10 on the board already and dropped only 2 pts. We have also built up a nice healthy goal difference already and have players returning from injury with Kewell, Aurelio and Gerrard to return shortly. The important thing is to be top after 38 games rather than 4 but everyone agreed Liverpool were handicapped with a poor start in recent seasons. Now we have an excellent start so far which is exactly what our aim was.

Liverpool have not scraped their way to 10 pts, we have looked ominously good with slick passing, great passing moves and a wealth of attacking threat combined with tremendous steel in midfield and a solidity in defence.

The season is only just started but so far Liverpool have looked impressive. Hopes from our rivals for Torres to struggle in England have proved false, he looks well settled and very sharp. Voronin has arrived with little attention and with a dismissal as a free transfer for the bench. Instead he has looked instantly at home - strong, aggressive and quick with a powerful shot. Kuyt has continued his work-rate from last season, Arbeloa now looks comfortable in English football and has played very well as LB or RB. Benayoun showed his qualities against Toulouse and should also do well in the Prem. Mascherano continues his excellent form and has improved his creative passing. Hyypia shows he is still an excellent defender and Agger just gets better all the time. Pennant is continuing his superb form from last season and is playing with great confidence. Babel is looking better and better as he settles more. Lucas and Leto made their debuts and did well. Gerrard looked very good in the beginning of the season before his injury. Carra may miss a few more games but will be pleased to see his absence has not cost us so far. Finnan has continued being consistent. Riise has also done well. Crouch is still to feature in the Prem but has played well in Europe so far. Sissoko also looks fit and confident as does Reina.

Apart from Babel, almost all the Liverpool players seem to be on top form. The personal confidence as well as the team confidence must be really high at the moment. Let's not get carried away but the truth is Liverpool are looking very good at the mo.

6. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is an up side to Carragher's injury, it's that it doesn't impact his mobility. I've had an intercostal strain, and rib ailments hurt like a bugger, but they heal up well, and afterward, re-injury isn't a big worry.

Torres is a real phenom. His control is very deft. He doesn't remind me of Henry, but he has the pace and the physicality to play defenders off both by sheer strength and being able to push the ball ahead and beat them to the spot.

My predictions on how many he might score must be revised upward. I can see El Niño on 18 - 20 league goals, 25 + in all competitions. If Torres doesn't score that many, it will be because defenses start packing in on him, which will open up Voronin or Kuijt.

It's too early to mail in the results, but Liverpool have bought the prize bull, boys and girls.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Why would you assume he was a diver anyway? Unless you believe every striker in La Liga dives.

8. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, on the evidence . . .

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, not every striker but almost every midfielder, defender and striker dives in La Liga....it's the center of the epidemic.

10. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or the epicenter of the pandemic...

or the Giant Panda of the Madrid Zoo/Aquarium

[​IMG]

formerly a central defender for Juve...

[​IMG]

11. RedRed

RedRed New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Torres looks so comfortable up front. It's just a joy to watch!

12. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got to say that Liverpool looks SO different this year. Much more confident. Torres is a monster.

13. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That excites me...

14. canadianscraggledog

canadianscraggledog New Member

Jun 26, 2005
    London, Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    MoM easily goes to Masch - amazing stabbing tackles. He gets the ball everytime. His timing is impeccable, gets the ball, not the player

Pennant also looked dangerous and had some excellent runs and crosses.
    Torres is proving to be the real deal. Hope he gets 20+ for us.

Babel did ok but has a lot to learn. He kept giving up possession.
    Yossi did not have a great game but only played about 30 min.

15. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    i agree and i reckon its also to do with our quick attacking plays that dont let the opposition flood back. this mite come from a better first touch and also us taking more risks, which is exciting and part of the reason why we scored so much vs derby...also they were crap and made many errors

16. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Bravo. It's important that we all remember that it was Derby County -- Derby County -- that we just hammered 6-0. That should be expected of any title-challenger. We have yet to enter the tricky part of our schedule (which happens in October), so until then, I'm content to be cautiously optimistic and nothing more.

Still... its hard not to feel confident these days, eh? :cool:

17. yvi1

yvi1 New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Section 114
    Did you hear about the Derby players starting a fight on Saturday? They kicked off seven times :D

18. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington
    :).

19. Pilum

Pilum New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Runcorn
    Very true Springbok, that said though how often have we screamed that Liverpool just haven't been putting teams away over the last few seasons? But yes, get through October, hope we don't get a reappearance of the mysterious "Let's stop playing" virus in November again and see where we are come Christmas. Much the same I hope, the M*ncs in the office are gloriously quiet lately... :)

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said as far as last year's goal output in a game like this vs this year. Hope the floodgates remain open against Derbyesque teams. Good win.

21. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been two weeks. We've got to move on.