Liverpool - Villa [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by liverbird, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    2-1. Steven Gerrard's 20th goal of the season.

Fowler coming on.

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gerrard again. What a goal!

3-1

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fulltime. Liverpool 3-1 Villa.

Our goal difference is now only 4 goals behind Man United.

All the players are staying on the pitch to thank the fans in the final game at Anfield this season. All the players have their kids on the pitch.

4. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    ok, 2 manc draws and we beat pompey. Unlikely, but possible. Damn that ferdinand header. Nice win today though. I think crouch and cisse will start in cardiff since he subbed them early today.

5. docliver

docliver New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Lovely win for the lads and what a goal by Stevie, world class. We were a bit shaky at the back in the 2nd half but we will forgive them for it this time. Im chuffed to bits that we won and that were joint 2nd at the mo . now if utd can keep losing that would be sweet. Can borough beat them monday ? I hope so if they can pull another uefa cup match like last thursday.
    Nice weekend i think i'll go and have a few beers now. Cheers everyone.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Only 4 goals with 1 match to play.... We can do it.. :)

Sounds like a nice celebration at Anfield, I'm won't get there until next October, maybe time it fo a CL match.
    Now come on Spurs

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back from the local, thoughts:

Kromkamp is equally Krap at fullback as he is at wing. The game in England seems to fast for him.

Those who didn't know what Finnan brings to the table should have watched this game.

Why can't Morientes score more like that?

Crouch was pedestrian.

Even though SG had two goals Xabi may have been the MOTM.

Riena had two great reaction saves.

Djimmy was useless.

Sami and JC didn't have their best games.

Robbie should have gotten a goal.

Stevie's goals were both terrific, but the second from 35 yards was brilliant. Sorenson never moved until it was past him. 21 goals from midfield -- that lad might be the PFA player of the year.

79 points would have won the Prem in some years. Twice ManUre won with less.

We are now winners of 10 straight.

YNWA

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well they're nice thoughts to have after a winning match.
    I hope to catch highlights later.

So Manure have Borough and one other team? and they need 3 points to beat us on GD (If we win next match) Borough BEAT them 4-1 last time out, I don't expect it again but it could be an interesting game.

Rooney was crap today and probably was the difference between the loss and a chance to win or draw. Totally blew a 1 on 1 with Chech, then got carried off so I doubt he'll play.

Gonna be fun right to the end again.......

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    10 out of 10, and never mind the whatsit. I hope we maintain this form into the next term.

I agree with LB, Kromkamp was off pace but wonder if it's really because of lack of match fitness. A few other players were also "elsewhere"-- Traore was an outlet for most of Villa's attacks. Crouch was worse than pedestrian-- he was criminally profligate and ought to have converted at least one chance. Stevie G's second goal has to be seen to be believed; it was an absolute pearl.

Let's make sure we do our bit and win the next match. One never knows and although the Mancs are seemingly holding all the four aces, there is many a slip 'twixt lip and cup.

As for Baros ...

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    NICE WIN!

Along with Bayern's Cup victory, this is a great day!

Did Cisse play?

11. RodneyDangerfield

RodneyDangerfield New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Melbourne,Australia
    No matter second (hopefully) or Third.it really has been a great season from Liverpool after a slow start.

12. ram1

ram1 New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    In your Red Dream.
    Did anyone else notice Morientes' goal today against Villa is exactly identical to his very FIRST goal for liverpool away at Charlton? eh? Well except he placed his shot along the ground this time instead of firing it into the net like he did back then. A bit of worthless trivia if you will? :D

13. Bjornebye

Bjornebye Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Grimstad
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LB speaks the truth. It was fun to see Alonso and our Captain in full flight, after dozens of matches. With a proper result for Boro this Monday, there's something for us to strive for.

Otherwise, this has been a very enjoyable campaign. Everyone on the squad has given great effort for Benitez, regardless of skill level.

On a side note, it's always great to meet good friends for the viewing of matches, especially when Stig gets to emasculate a Hungarian pedarist.

All the best to all of you.

Stig

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep. Started on the right and played reasonably well. Quite unfussed, yesterday.

By the way, the Kop gave Baros an ovation-- class.

15. Carragher23

Carragher23 Red Card

May 4, 2005
    To be honest, I can't see us getting second, United have Boro and Charlton (I believe) not the two hardest teams to play are they? By Man Utd's own admission they should beat both Boro and Charlton. If they beat Boro then I can't see us getting second and as for scoring four goals against Pompey, sure we could do it but I don't think it would make much differnce in all honesty.

I'm just hoping that we can dampen Pompey's high spirits by ending their impressive run.

...Only if we had beaten Fulham and Charlton. :(

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and Birmingham, too. That spell in the middle, when our strikers completely faded, killed the title charge.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I laughed right out loud for a full minute. But I'm sure no one else got the Zsa Zsa reference.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Really I'm content (but not happy) with 3rd, we blew it..

That Nando goal was what I expected to see more of this season....who know's...??!

Maybe we could sell Crouch to Villa as well..:)

19. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, it's a mathematical impossibility to finish second if the Mancs beat Boro, so your clairvoyance is remarkably astute. :) ;)

EDIT: I'm wrong. But it's pretty much unbelievable that we would get second if Boro lose.

20. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    That's exactly what I thought: It was probably the best goal of his Liverpool career; great set-up play, and a great finish.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    If Mancs beat Boro they have one match left (Charlton). If they lose that and don't score and we score (What?)4-5 against Pompey......then....:rolleyes:

Then, if your aunt had balls...she'd be your uncle.

22. LFCFanInCali

LFCFanInCali New Member

May 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are right of course, but stretches like that will happen. What really cost us 2nd was giving up Ferdinand's last-second winner at Old Trafford. I'm very happy with this season's progress, but that's the one game that just kills me.

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC