Liverpool v. West Ham [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Finally, that game in hand which has seemingly been giving us a false of satisfaction. From my calculations, a win will just about give us 4th spot on goal difference. And there will be the inevitable rotation.

----------------------Reina------------------------------
    --Arbeloa---------Skrtel----------Carragher----------Aurelio--
    --------------Mascherano-----------Alonso-----------------
    --------Benayoun-----------Gerrard-----------------Babel------
    ------------------------Torres-----------------------------------

Subs:-

Martin
    Agger
    Penannt
    Kewell
    Crouch

I'd have wanted to rest Kuijt until the Newcastle game. My suspicion, though, is that Benitez will start with Kuijt and Kewell either side of Torres.

Just 3 points will do for me. A clean sheet and some decent defending of set-pieces will be an added bonus.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------reina-----------
    arbeloa - carra - skertel - finnan
    ----masch --- alonso----
    ---yossi---gerrard -- babel
    ---------torres----

bench:
    crouch
    agger
    kuyt
    itandje
    lucas

3. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i somehow got the lineup for bolton correct, maybe the second time ever... i think that rafa really likes the carra, skrtel, hyypia, fabio backline, and i do, too... so, let's stick with that:

two changes, lucas for xabi, crouch for kuyt... i think that rafa's going to see who can get there first -- alonso to regain his top-form, or lucas to find his...

reina
    carra... skrtel... hyypia... fabio
    sg... masch... lucas... babel
    torres... crouch...

2-0 good guys and we're back in fourth... let's hope babel can keep improving, he's starting to look more and more dangerous... the attention that torres is getting is creating space for him... let's hope he can start to do the same back... i could see torres getting frustrated sunday, he was double teamed all day, and when he did get the ball, he got hacked down immediately... when will he get some protection from the ref?... sometimes it is absolutely ridiculous...

it's strange though, he gets mugged each week in th BPL, but he doesn't get injured until he off training with the spanish team, twice... what is arrogones doing with them? having them fight bears?

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Interesting back 4 you have there..!!!
    Yossi, Stevie G and Ryan would be interesting but we'd need 2 other players to come in at half time. Yossi and Babel tend to fade...and fast after then.

I want to go on record as saying...We have to win..:)

5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Plus why we'd play Finnan on the left is a matter of some question. I suspect we'll see the two Spanish fullbacks and Jamie with Sami. I expect a 5 man midfield of Kuijt, SG, Lucas, Mash, and Babel with Torres leading the line -- this is the team he'll want to live and die with.

6. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    torres will score twice. liverpool should dominate this game and reina have a clean game

7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

crap - meant aurelio for finnan

8. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    [​IMG]
    MMMMM, ManHam!

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Thought you might...either that or Finnan for Arbeloa.. :)

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Al Davis would say: "Just win, baby."

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope the boys can perform better than the last time around. That last minute loss against West Ham was just horrendous! Everton aren't showing any signs of slowing down and neither should we.

3-1 to the good guys.

12. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Riise Spanish or did we go out and buy someone I'm not aware of?

;)

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK Spanish and Brazilian from Spain --brain fart

14. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I would be interested to see if Rafa keeps his words and keeps the rotation to a few players.

-------------------Pepe---------------------

Finnan-------Carra------Skrtel-----Aurelio

-----------Lucas-------Javi-------------

Pennant---------Gerrard-----------Babel

------------------Torres-----------------

15. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    This may be accurate ... but I hope that if Pennant comes in for Kuyt (and I would like that) that we keep Masch and Javi together. Pennant is not as strong defensively as Kuyt and we will need more graft in there than Lucas and Javi can provide. Pennant always seems to bring out the best in Torres ... he has been involved in a lot of goals on a per minute basis recently (such as his subbing in against Inter).

I would not be totally surprised to see Babel spelled by Kewell, who looked pretty good in his reserve match recently (the one against Man Utd). Not saying I would prefer that after Babel's strong (if inefficient) match.

I am glad that Skrtal is in the fold, as we had fits against Carlton Cole in the first match versus West Ham. I am going to miss Carra as right back, as he has done pretty well there. Aurelio will be tested a lot more by Boa Morte (a Red Killer if ever there was one) than he was by the cruddy attackers that Bolton fielded. I would probably prefer Arbeloa, but only because Carra will be in the middle.

I hope that Rafa does not put Arbs in the center with Carra at right back in this match, as West Ham are stronger through the air than Boro were (and they gave us plenty of trouble). Especially since Ljungberg gave Carra such a torrid time last time around.

I also hope our defenders are more efficient in terms of clearing the ball without drawing unnecessary corners or silly fouls, as our set-piece defense is so miserable right now.

It is crucial that we control the tempo well with Masch and Alonso (or whomever) and give StevieG the freedom to push the attack very hard against Mullins, Noble (who played well against us) and draw the defenders towards him. I don't rate Upson and Lucas Neill that highly. I think we can exploit them provided West Ham are not allowed to clog the middle third by contesting everything in the midfield with their fullbacks and midfielders and then lumping the ball up to Cole and Ashton, etc. McCartney and Solano can provide long-range passes that will pressure our defense, so we have to dictate things in the middle of the field and keep the fullbacks on the back-foot defending against Babel and Kuyt/Pennant whether they have the ball or not.

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upson has very good games and then goes sideways, but he's a mature defender who rarely picks up cautions and is a good partner for Ferdinand, IMO, but since AF has been relegated to the subs bench, he's more paired with the thug, I guess, though Ferdinand started at fullback against Chelsea. After Ferdinand's gaffe, he may not make the first XI.

Since Curbishley started with Boa Morte and Cole, bringing in Ashton and Zamora when the game had been lost, I'm wondering whether he will switch things up and play Ashton from the start. If he does that you would have to think that he would pair him with Cole, since Boa Morte no longer has great pace.

Solano didn't start, either, which makes him a possible addition.

Liverpool should dominate with a midfield comprised of Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard and any of Pennant, Babel and/or Kuijt, if Benitez plays 4-5-1.

The worry is that Hammers will rebound after the chilling defeat against Chelsea. Curbishley will have the whip out, methinks.

I know the Reds cannot play the same game as against Bolton, because West Ham has a far greater chance of scoring than Bolton did, and BW probably should have had two.

Scoring against Hammers is not a cinch. The fact that Chelsea racked up 4 is not indicative of West Ham's defensive profile, and in their last 10 matches, prior to Chelsea, the Hammers gave up only 9 goals, which is good for a mid table side.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll take 1-0- just keep on winning boys! ;)

18. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ------------------Reina-----------------
    Arbeloa----Carra---------Skrtel----Riise
    Pennant---------Lucas---------Kewell
    -------------Gerrard------------------
    ----------Crouch----Torres------------

Subs: Kuyt, Alonso, Hyypia, Masch, Itandje.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Replace Babbel with Kewell, thats a winning formula!

20. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rotation has served it's purpose -- we have rested players at the end of the year. So Rafa, please, put in the best 11 and let's build a little cohesion. Kuyt and Carra play well on the right. Gerrard's thriving with his carte blanche now that Masch polices DMF duties. Xabi played well on the weekend with some nice passes. Even Babel was terrific. I'm OK with Yossi or Pennant's inclusion, but let's rotate less, build cohesion more.

There's one of two ways I see this game going south -- PK, or set pieces. I just don't think the Hammers will break us down on the rush.

Prediction:

Finnan---Carra---Hyppia---Riise
    -------Lucas----Masch---------
    Kuyt-------Gerrard-------Kewell
    ----------Torres----------------

My Team:

Carra----Skrtel---Hyppia---Riise
    ------Xabi-------Masch------
    Yossi--------Gerrard------Babel
    -----------Torres--------------

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'm all for Yossi/Pennant and Kewell/Babel to share the matches.
    None of them seem capable of running for more than 45 minutes. It would really change up the game for us.

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    by the way - looks like TORRES might be out due to sickness. Can anyone confirm?

23. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
  24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    he's big! he's red! his feet stick out the bed! peter crouuuuch! peter crouuuuch!! (gulp)