Liverpool v Marseille UEFA CL [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    wrong everyone was shocking momo was a new level of sh*t, so far im not sure what you call it:confused:

2. ssully10

ssully10 New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Birmingham
    Momo never caught the pace and had a real shocker...where was mascherano?

3. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    I went from being frustrated about the season to seriously concerned after this result.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My advice, lower your expectations as much as possible and just don't expect anything. That way you won't be that disapointed.

5. Bujdasz

Bujdasz New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Torres had a perfect shot. don't know how it smacked the post. For sure i thought it was going in when i saw Torres closing in on it.

6. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    damn, I'm having the craziest lucid nightmare

the New York Mets collapsed and missed the playoffs

and I was just watching the Reds, hoping to steal a point from Marseille AT ANFIELD

better wake up soon

7. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    THAT'S ENOOOOOOOORMOUUUUUUUS

GO OM

Their biggest exploit since the victory against Manchester in 1999 !! :eek: :p

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's not rub it in now.....:rolleyes:

9. EuroChamp05

EuroChamp05 New Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Chicago
    I probably should have spent less time during the close season reading this forum then!

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No matter what happens in the summer and in the transfer market, I try never to get hyped up about it. You never know how it will pan out in the season and last season was disapointing enough.

It'll be very difficult to turn this around.

11. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Um... wha?? What the f*ck jut happened?!?!

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [in knee-jerk-mode] Well, this has been waiting to happen since Portsmouth. We were as abysmal as we have been fro a very long time. The only players who turned up were Crouch and Reina. The rest were absolute cack, the midfield continuously givin the ball away or simply launching it to nobody in particular. The manager also deserves some bollocking-- Sissoko was dangerously off the pace and why he was not subbed is beyond me. Gerrard, and everubody else played so deep and kept being closed down closen to our penalty area. The forwards were so isolated and starved service it wass hard to belive we wer the home team. Funny thing is, except for Leto, this is the team that I'd also have picked. But it's the manager's job to assess the situation and make tactical achanges. So which match was Benitez watching? First Pennant at Porto, although he did he was planning on taking him off, now this. [off knee-jerk mode]

Having said that, Marseille were brilliant and played like the home team and, at times, as if they had 12 men so quick were they to the ball. Well-taken goal. Had it not been for a twitchy linesman, they'd have won 2-0. Well done to them.

Right, ladies and gentlemen. We have a problem and if we don't get a grip soon, we're going to paddling up the proverbial. To make matters worse there is an international break coming up, after which we play Arsenal. Time to ignore the hype and get back to basics. Passing to a team-mate woul ddo for a start.

I'm off to continue with my drinking! :mad:

13. SiriuslyCold

SiriuslyCold Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Malaysia
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    ditto. its not just this match - we've not really turned up for the last few matches. seems after the 6-0 win against Derby the players psychologically turned off :confused:

WAKE UP REDS :mad:

*sigh*

14. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington
    That was probably the easiest game to figure out why we lost, ever. It wasn't down to rotation or injuries or game plan. It was just a case off our players and manager were'nt trying hard enough to win it.

The good thing about that is that it can be solved with a big stick. I'm just not sure who's going to swing it.

( But lets not take this to hard other wise this place will look like the Chelsea board last week)

15. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Torres shot glanced off the defender's (arm/leg?) and smacked the post.
    I blame Benitez. A midfield of Benayoun, Gerrard, Leto, and Sissoko? Who was going to create chances. Oh, wait! Carragher is going to loft balls to Crouch and Torres, a la Cisse. Oh, wait! Leto is going to feed Torres thru-balls down the left channel. Oh, wait! Aurelio is going to supply crosses into the box.

Liverpool was "fortunate" to lose the match 1-0. I feel sick.

16. RedRed

RedRed New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    We were horrible. I'm not angry with the result, but rather I am concerned. I surely didn't expect this type of game-play this year. And losing at home to a French site?:mad:
    FCUK@@!!

17. infame

infame New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    As Italian fan, I can just say it was The worst Liverpool game I watched in the Benitez era.

Big disappointment

18. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only positive thng I can say about the match is that it's over and I don't have to suffer through watching it anymore. Hopefully this will serve as a wake up call to all concerned. An aberration one hopes.

I wonder how much Pako's leaving has to do with the recent subpar performances?

19. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1 point from 2 games. ********ing pathetic.

20. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    speaking of that Derby game, i think that was the worst thing that has happened to us this year, and it's sad to say that about a 6-0 win... take away that game, forget you know the words 'undefeated in all competitions,' and just take into account our play on the field -- which has been poor... we wouldn't be talking about winning the prem... the derby game has given us a false confidence that we can pull 6 goals out on anybody at a moments notice... take that game away, and it seems that we are lucky to score at all...

but, on the flip-side, i'm going to hope that this loss is the best thing that could happen to us, yet... this another shot on the rotation policy, and i'm sorry to bring it up again, but i think our recent form has showed us how bad an idea it really is... rafa seems to think that we have 20 players that are all the same quality... and, yes, i'm glad for the depth that we have.... but who are the teams in the world that have the best depth? i'd say that would be barcelona is one of them... and who did they have playing this weekend in la liga? henry, messi, iniesta, deco, xavi... who did they play in their CL game yesterday? henry, messi, iniesta, deco, xavi, ronaldinho... their best players play their best football together... so, they go up 2-3 goals, and THEN bring the younger guys off of the bench and see how they will do...

it seems that, with all of the rotation policy crap that rafa has been spinning, he could always fall back on 'undefeated'... he can't do that anymore, and hopefully he can watch the games from this year and throw out the derby, reading, and chelsea games and realize that we have just not looked very good, and notice that our team isn't gelling very well...

i feel that the main reason that you have depth is to cover for injuries, and look for the future, not so you can think that you can interchange any two players, whenever you want, and the team will play well...

let's hope rafa wakes up and sees how the other world-class teams are approaching their games, and do the same... before it's too late to stay in the prem chase...

21. Xerxes

Xerxes New Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Arlington VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pathetic! Absolutley pathetic! A complete and utter disgrace! At the start of the season the squad depth was working to our advantage - every player seemed to want to impress Rafa so as to get a regular first-team slot. Now that the reality of Rafa's rotation policy has set in, it looks like the players aren't even trying, secure in the knowledge that whether they play poorly or well, they'll get rotated out and eventually rotated back in. Losing at home to a French side? Merde alors!!! :mad:

22. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I'm still trying to figure out why Rafa left Momo on

Momo was awful, usually isn't especially valuable pushing forward, picked up a card @ 52' limiting his destructiveness, Mascherano was available (carrying an injury?)

additionally, it's not like the warning signs weren't flashing

Preview:

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leto was on for too long as well. He should have gone off at halftime the latest. When was the last time Rafa even made a sub at half time when there was no injury?

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    An outcome of this debacle may well be a tactical rethink. An and to this mentality where we seemingly go out not to lose rather than to win would do for start. Throughout every match, you can see an animated Benitez imploring players to get forward and close players down. Yet they don't. Does the manager's training methods impose a subliminal rigidity on the team?

On a positive note, we now have to win all the remaining group matches and not simply be dependent on other teams' results. Watch Benitez and the team earn their keep.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My biggest gripe. He seemingly is either too stubborn or so rigid in his methods he cannot see the wood for the trees.