Liverpool v Marseille UEFA CL [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Welcome to old reds, Cisse and Zenden. This is a tricky tie with both keen to impress.

A victory, of course, is a requirement but there were passages of play on Saturday when we were so lacking in invention to break down a well-disciplined defence. I suspect Marseille will be as tough to break down, with the players also keen to impress the new coach. So how will Benitez set up this one? The problem, I think, has been the predictability of our wide players; Aurelio and Riise on the one flank was to defensive.

I liked the Crouch and Torres partnership.

So here goes:-

--------------------Reina-------------------
    --Finann-----Carragher-----Hyypia------Aurelio--
    ---Pennant----Sissoko--------Gerrard------Babel--
    ---------------Crouch-----Torres--------------

Subs:- Itandje, Arbeloa, Riise, Mascherano, Voronin, Kuyt, Benayoun

2. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think you've picked it Red.

I'll say 2-1 to the good guys, Cisse to score on his return :)

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Liverpool should win. Nasri is out and L'OM have a new coach which means things have not been going smoothly for them this season.

4. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Is this the Part-time Liverpool fan forum?

How can Red Bird have 'Picked it'? Pennant's suspended due to his Red card. Are you even following the season?

And I'm supposed to be the Chelsea fan according to Red Bird.

The team will probably be...

--------------------Reina-------------------
    --Finnan-----Carragher-----Hyypia------Aurelio--
    ---Benayoun----Sissoko--------Gerrard------Riise--
    ---------------Kuyt-----Torres--------------

There's also a possibility that Rafa might revert to his system of putting Stevie G on the right, but with Yossi fit and playing well and Alonso out I think he'll resist.

Oh you also spelt Finnan wrong, but I'll put that down to a typo.

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oops, my bad. Pennant is indeed suspended. So put in Benayoun for Pennant. Riise and and Aurelio on the left is way too defensive-- gave us bugger all against Wigan..

And, yes, I still don't believe you're a Liverpool fan but it's a free world, after all. So have fun.

6. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    True, But Marseille are a much stronger team than Wigan. Home game or not, we can't throw caution to the wind. This is the CL. Riise gives us a good enough attacking option with a player who can track back. I've seen none of that from Babel who is all out attack and the kind of player you bring on with 20 mins to go.

As to the non-Liverpool fan thing, well I've stated my case. I've talked about Liverpool squad and tactics in a way indepth enough to prove I'm not Remotely a Chavski fan. I've had deep dislike for Mourinho for a long while, but it hit peak when he shushed Liverpool fans at the Carling cup final. Since then he has called our team second rate and a small club, despite the fact that we clearly outplay them in every game (apart from two seasons ago when I remember we took a pasting at home). We've knocked them out of CL and FA cup and still The So-called Special One looked down on Liverpool. I laughed when he was arrested and recently when Chelsea were denied a legitimate goal for offside and Jose ripped the monitor out and brandished it to the linesman.

Does all this sound like a Chelsea fan?

7. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So....nasri is from marseille, ive heared great things about the lad, and he is even linked to liverpool..what a pitty, i would have liked to see him play.

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe you two can take this to PMs or Email and let the rest of us discuss the match.

9. RafaDaGafa

RafaDaGafa Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Fair point.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope Cisse gets a great reception on his return to Anfield, he deserves it. Marseille are in aweful form in Ligue 1 but they got off to a good start in Europe so I don't know which side will come to play. Either way, they have ample talent in their team. Aside the two former reds, players like Taiwo, Nasri and Cana.

I would prefer Kuyt and Torres play more together since I believe that to be our best partnership but I doubt those two will start. Either way, we should be able to get a win here since its a home game. Just hope Sami can cope with Cisse's speed.

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    neither JAR nor Fabio are creators. neither is going to beat people the dribble and put themselves in dangerous situations. Babel will cause havoc and be a threat to beat people on the dribble and look to get in dangerous positions. it is that type of wing play that is needed against a continental team that will be cagey and sit back and look for the chance to counter.

12. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope that Reina can deal with the shots that Cisse will fire directly at him.

13. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    for all the constant talk of Cisse's speed, i can't recall a single time where he simply left people in his wake as he glided past them.

14. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    When exactly is Agger expected back? I think we may truley miss him in Europe.

I'd try
    -----------Reina------------
    Finnan--Carra-Sami--Riise
    Pennant-Momo-SG-Babel
    -------Kuyt--Torres--------

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    See above - Pennant is suspended. His understudy Benayoun may play, unless Rafa decides not to play 4-4-2.

I'd go with

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Sami - Arbeloa
    Gerrard - Sissoko - Mascherano - Babel
    Torres - Crouch​

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That's not bad! With Yossi as a sub for Babel once they see he has no left foot and keeps cutting back to his right.
    Kuyt or Voronin to come on "Early" if Crouch hasn't improved over the last couple of matches.

Buy him a flack jacket.

I've put some TV times up on the TV sticky. Eight, yes 8 CL matches on TV Tuesday and Wed.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That'd be mine. Danger wide but able to cut in on either side. Nothing doen the middle. Carra stuck with Cisse.

18. 3kuyt

3kuyt New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Montreal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Although this formation is close to impossible, Ide like to see it this season.

----------------Reina------------
    Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Arbeloa
    Pennant---Mascherano---Aurelio
    Gerrard-------Torres-------Babel

19. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arbeloa and Finnan would be charged with giving us width then because I could definitely see that formation morphing into this.

-------------------Reina--------------------
    Finnan-----Carra-------Sami--------Arbeloa
    ----------Sissoko-------Mascherano-------
    -----Gerrard-----------------Babel----------
    --------------Torres---Crouch---------------

20. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No but you're sounding more an more like Morph by the minute. Quit being so confrontational whoever you are. THere are a lot of knowledgeable people that frequent this board, and we all get along fine.

21. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he said (both in his post and his signature!).

22. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    ok, maybe a little "out-there" but as usual i'll base my concepts on who played the last game and whats coming up next.

pepe

finnan cara sami risse

bene stevie momo babel

veronin crouch

torres kuyt arbs itchy:) mash fabio leto

except crouchino is under rafas skin for complaining so he may get glued to the bench in favour of kuyt. And yes i myself would play torres but rafa i suspect doesnt rate marsailles that highly and will play el nino at the weekend. i wouldnt even be suprised to see hobbs on the bench.

pepes been practising stifling the urge to move an inch to either side in order to deal with cisses shots. :) doing yoga " L'om, L'omm" Feel the Grass Be the Grass " Bolos gonna shift onto to his left foot and run straight into the corner at full speed. repeatedly. but very professionally.

ahhh, the good old days.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes Rafa will know what to do to counter Zenden & Cisse.

With Zenden, we can sit Finnan more central, allowing Zenden to make his runs into the corner, then close him down, so he hurries his cross. The left back can sit near the far edge of the box, as thats where the cross will end up and head clear.

With Cisse, we can let him make runs through the centre as thats where he gets in trouble. With an advancing keeper standing tall, he can only try and kick it harder to get it to tear through his shirt and chest and trickle over the goal with a heart and some arteries dangling about, still attached to the ball.......... ;)

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Width is the most overrated tactical aspect of the game today. Particularly at Liverpool, where obsession with the issue is almost a disease amongst the fans.

We don't need to knobbly-kneed Brylcreem heroes getting chalk on their boots in order to win games. And haven't needed them since ... well, since Brylcreem went out of fashion.

Ideally, the formation I outline would morph into what you put - Torres plays through the middle and is at his most effective when supplied along the channels and the ways in which Crouch can waste a good cross from out wide are still being counted - a final tally may not be known until the day he retires.

Width can be generated by having four players attack at once across the expanse of the final third, it can be created by having players overlap through the centre, it can be caused by a judicious late run from midfield. "Width" isn't the distance between your centre-forward and your right or left midfielder, "width" is the distance between your player, the ball and the nearest defender at whatever point across the back four that you are focusing the attack at that moment.

The key is to position players across and in between the opposition's back four in such a way that there are gaps to exploit. Crouch is best with his back to goal and the ball to feet, Gerrard, Torres and Babel all shine when running on to, or playing, short passes. On the first break-down, however, yes: there's Finnan and Arbeloa to come up for second phase ball, take the short knock-backs and swing in crosses for the attacking players who have already drawn into the opposing penalty area.

25. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I like this one. Though I'd be just as happy seeing Yossi and Kuyt in place of Crouch and Babel. Bonus points for leaving Aurelio out of the starting XI.

Three points is essential in this match. Plain and simple. Our midfield should and will dominate. Especially if we're facing Zenden... :rolleyes: