Liverpool v Leicester [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by kopiteinkc, Sep 17, 2003.

1. browfish

browfish New Member

I agree. We started well, and it looked like we were going to dominate the game completely, I was expecting a 3-0 result. On the whole I think we played 'well enough', but nothing spectacular. However, a win is a win, and I'm grateful for that. Smicer is different player now, and so is Biscan. Riise is looking a bit weak. Keep your fingers crossed we don't have any more injuries!

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back from the local. First 30 minutes as good attacking football as I've seen them play in some time. After the first goal we let down. Leicester is very scrappy and we let the game come down to their level. The midfield was dominant for most of the match, Diouf especially but Harry and Vlad were quite good as well. It's three we needed to get and we did --- Walk on!

3. Anomaly385

Anomaly385 New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    didnt notice til just now, but portsmouth lost to blackburn and man city were lucky to get a tie draw with fulham, so we gained some rankage in the standings, now we are 6th.

hopefully, mancs and arse will draw tomorrow so we can stay close to them.

4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    The replay showed that the deflection came off the ref, so a GK was the right call...:)

Satisfied with the result. If we miss the CL by one goal on differential I'll blame it on Sami for falling asleep on this one.

In the second half we weren't nearly as threatening as in the first. Vlad, Harry and Stevie were all standing up at the top of the box waiting for Diouf (another MOTM performance) to do something.

I'm very much liking the way Smicer is performing in this offense.

The best thing we can take from the game is that we were able to break down a dogged and determined, if not especially skillful, Leicester team.

Most importantly, I hope Kopite is OK.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Liverpool v Leicester [R]

Thanks Lanky, just got back from our joint therapy session. The missus is messed up in the head, but hey we got three points :)

More therapy for me .... Wizards tonight ...

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Re: Re: Re: Liverpool v Leicester [R]

The way they're playing lately, I wouldn't call that therapy, but rather the cause...:)

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Liverpool v Leicester [R]

You got that right!

I have three kids' games now and then straight to Arrowhead, but if someone wants to start a "how to cope with nutty wives thread" I'll join in tomorrow.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just got back from L4. First 30 minutes we were all over them, it was fluid, positive ... impressive. The goal was coming. After that, we seemed to take our foot off the pedal and a lot of the play was reminiscent of the inhibited stuff we played last season. But the object of today was that we can beat teams at Anfield that come there to drag us down to their level and make us sweat for it. Three points tell me that we passed that particular examination. It doesn't always have to be inspired stuff for 90 minutes, it just has to win us games.

Kewell was our best player today, closely followed by Finnan. Smicer was OK, Heskey was poor and Diouf was impressive, even if he still needs to learn when to release instead of holding. Oh - and he needs to learn when to boot it clear.

But overall, a solid three points.

9. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    It was good solid work. We have to win games like this, and we did what we needed to do.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    All in all not a bad day. Liverpool got three and my U13 team got their first win. Boy were they stoked, they're 1-1 and 1 now with a -1 differential. That was as big as the reds win for these kids...!

11. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    bravo biscan

show em what you got

this kid has great potential and despite sitting on the bench for 2 years hes gonna show what he can do

tako igore stisni stisni guraj guraj

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Gonna get another yellow for language like that...!

13. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Sorry mates

My humble apologies for not doing commentary as promised. I was home from college for the weekend and my dear sweet mother scheduled a haircut for me half an hour away at 10 am Saturday! Thanks to browfish for covering my butt.

Sounds like I missed a good one. Hopefully we can continue our climb to the top.

14. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I thought we played pretty well considering Leicester's main goal was to play very defensive. I thought we played with a lot more width then we have done in the past. Diouf is really doing well out wide and his cross for Heskey's goal was awesome. Kewell seems to be settling in nicely which is good news for us Aussie-based Liverpool fans. :)

15. GH's Post-Match Email

Dear Liverpool supporter,

I want to really congratulate my players for the victory over Leicester. There was pressure on us because we haven't won at home for a long time! We have beaten a good team as Leicester work very hard, are very disciplined and have good aerial ability.

We deserved the win and our first half performance was very good. We showed good movement and we created chances. The second half was not as good but you have good and bad spells.

Leicester had one chance and scored from it at the end. It was like last season against Newcastle and Birmingham when we were 2-0 up then let it slip, and we did the same thing again when we were 2-1 up and trying to score a third goal. I couldn't believe it!

Fortunately Emile's goal turned out to be the winner. It was a great goal and a very important goal. He always works hard for the team and no-one has backed Emile Heskey more than me. What I want him to do now is to use his own assets more. He has power, he has strength and I want him to use it more. He is maybe going through a crisis in confidence but I like him, he is a lovely guy and I will keep backing him. I think this goal today will give him a lot of confidence.

It was a good performance and a good result. The players deserve a lot of credit.

Regards,

Gerard Houllier
    Liverpool Manager