Liverpool v. Internazionale [R] 1st Leg

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by AussieLFCfan, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our form is poor but we are the Dr. Banner/Incredible Hulk of world soccer. We can be playing poorly, and then we go to the Champions League and turn in to a red beast.

2. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    As to risse, he played like crap, got sat down, came back, played like total crap, got sat again down for quite a while, and came back for the last two wherby he has been neither great not truly terrible. Which makes him the form lb. He's a good habit of raising his game in the big ones also.

Also there is literally nobody else, arent arbs and fabio both still hurt? Arbs does not convince me at lb anyway.

3. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance of three at the back? I don't know exactly how it would work but maybe this.

-------------------Reina-------------------
    ---------Hyypia---Carra---Skrtel----------
    Arbeloa-------------------------------Riise
    ----------------Mascherano-----------------
    --------Gerrard------------Alonso----------
    --------Crouch-------------Torres-----------

Subs - Itandje, Aurelio, Finnan, Babel, Pennant, Kewell, Kuyt

Thoughts?

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Where is the goal going to come from? Torres and Crouch would have no service, and Xabi and Gerrard would have nobody to play the ball to. In that formation, it would probably look a lot more like we are playing 5 at the back than 3 at the back.

5. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    it's on ESPN2 live, ESPNDeportes delayed

maybe that ESPN360.com site

P2P links will be available tomorrow

6. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So save it for the away leg once we are up 3-0? ;)

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got to agree. A genuine 3-5-2 means somebody like Pennant on the right and Kewell (or even Riise) on the left. I have to say that for all his poor performances this season, Riise has been one of two left-wingers who has actually (and on a consistent basis) attacked the back post when play is on the right.

8. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the players I put in the 3-5-2 would end up making it look like a 4-4-2 or 5-3-2.

9. quixoticelixir42

quixoticelixir42 New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well.. here goes my idea.

-----------reina
    arbeloa carra skrtel JAR
    --------mascherano
    -----alonso gerrard babel
    -----------benayoun
    ----------- torres

subs:
    Lucas
    Fabio
    Kewell
    Pennant
    Kuyt
    Crouch
    Itandje

10. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My comment wasnt about form but about effort and Finnan was lacking that against Barnsley and in a few other games this season as well.

11. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Inter/LFC 1965: Tommy Smith gets his kicks in

[youtube]t8bT__mwZBY[/youtube]

12. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California

wow, I would love to see Benayoun and Torres link up. Those two play really well together.

On the other hand, perhaps a experienced crouch would be good down there.

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    from .tv

14. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    No one comes to play for this club and even thinks about being 2nd best. One off at Anfield and then we'll take our chances in Milan. There is little else to play for and this is just about our season so the players might as well leave what ever they have in the tank on the field. Pull together and fight and run and pass and score as a team. We shall overcome Inter!

15. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Let me give it shot at this lineup thing:
    ..............................Reina.......................

Arbs.............Carra.............Hyypia........Aurelio

Pennant........StevieG.........Masch............Riise

...............Kuyt...................Torres.................
    (oh, what blasphemy)

I'm OK with either Finnan or Arbs. I'd give Pennant a shot and if it doesn't work out try Babel. I feel Pennant would not pass to Kuyt as much as others and hence give us a better shot at keeping possession. Let Kuyt run like a maniac when Inter have the ball, and , on the other side, maybe the ball will bounce off him into the net after a corner - you have to think positive, right. Also, I want to see Riise take 2,3 shots from 30 yds out, no matter where they land.
    Many hard workers in my lineup but not enough flair and creativity - keep Babel, Kewell, Yossi ready and if Kuyt is really bad, sub Crouchie in sooner than his usual 80th minute.

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping a good thought. I hope a brilliant Anfield crowd can carry them home.

17. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    It would be such a tonic to destroy these guys. Inter has'nt lost a game all year, wouldnt it be a nice shock to them to get spanked.

crosses fingers.

18. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Didnt they lose to Fenerbache?

Anyway i like catenaccio's team but at home, id much rather Riise or Aurelio at LB with Kewell at LM. If both Kewell and Pennant are on the field, Crouch and Torres together might be a good idea given that they are our two best crosses of the ball and will play wider than Yossi/Babel, which will give Torres and Crouch the centre corridor to themselves.

Another thing with Babel; he hasnt been playing well when he has started games apart from Sunderland and Barnsley (not great opposition). Against Inter id much rather have him as our supersub for either Kuyt/Crouch, Kewell or Pennant.

19. Scotland the brave

Scotland the brave New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
    To be honest European night calls for classic 4-4-2 which has to be Torres and Crouch

I just hope the players have truly given up on the prem and so they can run them selfs ragged for what could be the most important night of the season so far.

Hopefully some of the flack directed at Benitez will put a fire under a few of them, oh and lets hope Gerrard has his wonder boots on :D

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree about Kewell. He actually hasn't been as bad as he has been made out to be by some on these board but he could do with a goal. Goodness knows we need other goal-scorers besides Torres and Gerrard. Kewell also combines very well with Torres when the latter drifts wide, supporting him on the ball more than others would.

21. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I disagree with the sentiment of throwing everything we have at Inter at the expense of the Prem. Although disappointing, there would be no shame in flying out in the Quarters to Inter, especially considering the huge hole we dug ourselves from just to get here.

We still have something to play for . . . 4th in the Prem, and we're in a huge struggle for that. If anything's really going to heat Rafa's seat, it'll be finishing 5th or worse in the Prem.

That said, this CL game and the Prem aren't mutually exclusive. The point is the CL isn't the beginning and end of the rest of the season.

22. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i've watched about a dozen inter games this year, and, from what i've seen, and some posters have concurred, they aren't a team that completely bombards the goal... they carefully create a handful of great chances per game, but they convert those chances...

juxaposed to them, is us... lately, we create a dozen chances per game but can't get it in the net...

is that luck? they have it in spades, and we don't have ANY?

take xabi in the barnsley game... two perfect shots from the 18... one, the barnsley keeper somehow stretched to deflect... the other, hit one of our own guys in the back of the head! see? it's just bad luck, isn't it?

and in europe, we have good luck most of the time... riise's screamer agaist PSV? that shot hasn't come close to the frame since... it's all luck...

or is it that we let God go? think about it... the crazy injuries, the ball that just can't seem to find the net, the evil owners, the subdued anfield crowd, the media baring down on us, the bad luck... history is full of these kinds of consequences when people turn their back on God... and we're one outbreak of leprosy away from everyone realizing it...

i, for one, will be wearing my old robbie fowler #9 today, and praying that He will deliver inter to us...

who's with me?

23. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Reina
    Finnan - Carragher - Skrtl - Arbeloa
    Benayoun - Mascherano - Gerrard - Babel
    Torres - Crouch​

24. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You do know that in attack that lineup would look like this...

___________Reina__________

_______Skrtel__Carra_______

Finnan_____Masch____Arbs__

______Yossi_SG_____Babel__

_______Crouch_Torres______

That's more narrow than i reckon anyone could handle. If we were worried about Crouch and Torres getting in each other's way, imagine adding Yossi and SG to that, as well as Babel and Arbs drifting infield.

I agree with Reina (obviously), Skrtel, Carra, Masch, Arbs (at RB though), SG and Torres...the rest is a lottery.

25. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good luck for tonight against Intermerda! I'll be watching the game and keep my fingers crossed for your guys.