Liverpool v. Internazionale [R] 1st Leg

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by AussieLFCfan, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And yet they've been able to win domestically and appear really strong in Europe so far this season. Inter are notorious chockers in the CL but our poor form combined with the fact that they are the IN FORM team in Europe doesn't leave much room for optimism.

2. rochester rhinos

rochester rhinos New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    under a pipal tree
    Am I wrong or are all those mid players defensive minded players who can go forward some what.

If the choose that mid it will be very hard to break them down methodically, or with anything less than a 5 man midfield like some have suggested Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia--Riise
    --------Masch---Leiva--------
    Benayoun----Gerrard-----Babel
    -----------Torres-----------

3. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    A very good analysis. Things i would add:

Inter seemed in complete control of the game, and it was probably their best game since Christmas. Cambiasso did a great job of dictating the play. Totally agree about the long balls, Cordoba and Materazzi will win those all evening.

Inters 2 goals also came from defensive errors, which we are probably less likely to see from Liverpool. They didnt create that much, but were in control after those 2 goals went in. I think you are spot on in that you have to close down the Inter wingers. Though i don't think the Inter wingers are the type to go to the bye line and hammer crosses, they prefer to cut inside and link up with Zlatan. But the fullbacks definitely overlap and provide dangerous crosses (Maicon in particular).

Inter rested about half their team, plus took it easy for the 2nd half. I thought Cambiasso and Zanetti were the most in need of a rest since theyve played almost all games this season, but seems like Mancini didnt want to take too many risks. Crespo still makes dangerous runs and knows how to beat the offside trap but his finishing is poor and he seems to lack confidence which is important for a striker.

Unlucky about yesterday, same story really, dominated the chance and possesion but couldnt convert them into goals. Im sure it will have no bearing on Tuesday.

Chivu will most likely move to left back while Burdisso may start at RB if Mancini thinks Maicon is unfit.

Suazo wil surely have some part to play but its hard for Mancini to drop Cruz when he just keeps on scoring.

4. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is pretty much Liverpools best bet.

Some people in here think its safe to leave Alonso out which I think is completely nuts. He's a seasoned European player and will be vital to Liverpools advancement in this series.

5. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The key for me is to keep a clean sheet and not give away the away goal. Not that I don't think we can score away....I just think it makes things a bit better for us going away in the second leg.

As for line up, I can see.

--------------Pepe---------------

Finnan----Carra----Skrtel-----Arboloa

Pennant--Gerrard---Javi------Riise

----------Kuyt-----Alonso--------

I really see Kuyt playing really deep just running around almost making it more 4-5-1.

6. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Can't get much more dangerous than Alonso and Kuyt upfront ;)

7. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Which Alonso is that? I dont know of one that plays as a forward for us. Please let me know. :rolleyes:

_________Reina__________

Arbs__Carra__Hyypia__Riise

_____Masch__Xabi_______

Pennant___SG______Kewell

__________Torres________

Bench: Itandje, Finnan, Lucas, Yossi, Babel, Kuyt, Crouch

Sorry Stevie (Finnan, that is), you must be dropped. Someone who doesnt give 100% for 100% of the time can not start in this match. Also was Riise serious when he said he is focusing on his defensive skills in training this year?

Come on you Aussie haters...bring on the hatred for me putting Kewell in the lineup ;)

8. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    you've got it right EXCEPT Babel for Kewell obviously ;)

what's Skrtel's status -- if fit, I'd go with him

9. Massimo_Oddo

Massimo_Oddo New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    How about you read the thread again (specifically the last post from page 2), read my post again (notice the wink at the end aswell) and take a chill pill.

10. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    Just for the record. i think we utterly dominated barnsley and its a complete mystery to me how we never buried a second goal. The 2 goals were about the only sniffs they had in the whole second half. i could not believe my eyes when they scored, i was stunned by that. sheet.

We've had more than our share of bad luck this year and i suppose this is just one of those years. waddya gonna do? i for one have been a lot madder after different games this year but this one we should have won on merit. Hurts a lot though, we had a good shot at this cup, but hey we've been up and we've been down and we'll be back again imo. Anyhooo......

PEPE

finnan jc skrt risse

pennant mash sg babel

crouch and torres

i think jc and sami both need a rest, not a long one, just that jc's played more or less every game. v milan aint where its likely to happen though. :)

Hey 2-0 to the good guys and we are back in business.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You know right now at this time and place I'd cheer for Alonso up front instead of Kuyt or Crouch. He does know the way to goal.

12. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially since he is apparently no good at stopping players on defense. See: Barnsley's Second Goal.

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well everyone knows that we threw the Barnsley game, because we don't play well unless we're playing season's on the line games- ie any of our last three group stage CL games.

So by losing the FA Cup game, we're making sure that this is it! ;)

If thinking we'll go 4-4-2, and of course 'Arry must start...... on the bench :D

14. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Here's my run-out:

Skrtel---Hyppia---Carra---Riise

Pennant--Gerrard--Masch--Babel

------Crouch----Torres--------

I think Rafa's going to start Babel, why else would he have subbed him vs Barnsley?

I don't think we can play with three in the back at home, first leg. It has to be 4, and frankly I don't really want Finnan back there. So Skrtel plays out of position.

Crouch has to play, but not because I want to see long balls into him all night (we stink at this anyway). Crouch plays because Kuyt can't get a spot here. He just can't. Crouch wins by default.

The key to the tactics will be RMF. If Rafa plays Pennant, he wants the width and balls into the box. I've seen very little of Inter, but that doesn't seem wise. Yossi is more of a goal scoring threat, but he can disappear. Pennant's got the experience and the pace. He gets the nod from me in a squeaker.

15. Ami05

Ami05 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    California
    FREAK'N DESTROY THIS ITALIAN TEAM, PLEASE LIVERPOOL, HIT THEM HARD AND IT THEM FAST.

I hope Yossi gets some good playing time because I want to see him dribble the defense.

Is Torres fully fit ??????

I hope this team is pissed off after this loss at the FA cup and will come out knock'n hard in the CL.

16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ----------------Reina
    Finnan---Carragher--Hyypia--Riise
    ----------Masch---Alonso
    Pennant------Gerrard-------Babel
    --------------Torres

The one area where we are stronger than them is in the center of midfield so lets make sure we win that battle. If Rafa prefers Lucas to Alonso, thats fine.

My alternative would be to drop Pennant or Babel in favor of throwing Crouch up front with Torres.

We are going to take a conservative approach, which is the right way to go. Its the way we've beaten all the great teams in our Champions League runs. Make sure we don't give up anything at the back, play smart in midfield, and hope that the Kop wills the ball into the net on another great European night at Anfield.

17. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    After watching the Barnsley game, IMO, Finnan shouldnt even make the squad. He is and has been one of my favourite players but there have been a few games where he hasnt put in 100% effort and that pisses me off the most.

18. Piperc

Piperc New Member

May 24, 2007
    Italy
    OK??? :D

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yet you put Kewell in there....:rolleyes:;)

Also, starting Riise is a recipe for trouble but everyone seems to think he's a lock so we'll see.

20. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't like leaving Torres alone. He's going to need a SS.

And as bad as Riise has been in the opposition third, he's been the steadiest of our LBs of late. And he can make an occasional run up the pitch.

21. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    IIRC Arbs most recent performances at LB were poor

JAR has often raised his game in the CL -- he was a terror in the first half of a Barca game last year

just wonder if Rafa might go extra-conservative and play JAR @ LM

22. Borriello

Borriello New Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Jamaica
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Benayoun starting for sure?

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No. Aside from Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres nothing is sure in terms of starting line up.

24. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    wat website can i watch this on ?? any p2p sites??

25. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that would be correct.