Liverpool v Fulham - EPL - 26 Jan [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Onwards and upwards. I bet the Kop will be rocking after today's result.

Gerrard will be back, so the one change I'd expect from today is Poulsen dropping to the bench or out of the 17 altogether. I'd actually put it together like so:-

----------------------------Reina--------------------
    --Kelly-------Skrtel-------Agger-----------Aurelio-----
    -----------Meireles---------------Lucas-----------
    -----Johnson------Gerrard--------------Kuijt-----
    ----------------Torres-------------------------

Substitute: Gulasci, Kyrgiakos, Rodriguez, Pacheco, Spearing, Cole, Konchesky.

Won't happen, I know but, then, who would have thought that Dalglish would be managing Liverpool in 2011.

2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i suspect the only change is Stevie for Poulsen

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess you're right, as we seem to have the weekend off.

4. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'd even switch Kuyt and Johnson and still be happy....

5. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Dalglish has brought on Shelvey as sub for all his matches so far. Interesting to see if he does the same here.

6. kindred

kindred New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    I'd actually like to see:

Reina
    Kelly - Skrtel - Agger - Johnson
    --------Lucas --- Raul -----
    --Kuyt -- Gerrard --- Aurelio--
    ----------Torres -----------

Subs: Gulasci, Soto, Maxi, Shelvey, Ngog, Konchesky, Cole

Lucas, Raul, and Gerrard should be fluid, Aurelio provides width and cover for Johnson.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder if the physical difference between Shelvey and Pacheco is why the former is being preferred at the moment.

8. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
  9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Possibly, but I think it may be that Shelvey is probably more versatile, and can play deep-lying central midfield. I must admit, though many there are many imponderables, Pacheco would have buried that chance.

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet it is probably the biggest factor in him not playing right now.

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Was Pacheco even training with the first team under Roy? At least Kenny has included him on the bench. I think it would have been really difficult for Pacheco to come on in the derby, and yesterday we needed to hold on to our lead more than we needed a third goal. Hopefully Danny gets his chance against Fulham.

12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it's also the responsibility of the rest of the team to take command of matches in order to give these youngsters a run out in the last 15 minutes. Had a few of those other efforts gone in, maybe we would have had the luxury ...

13. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He will definetly stick with Maxi in the left.

Now, for me the big question is.....will we stick with Johnson at LB for the whole season and wait for the summer to buy someone? When Carra gets back, will he play Agger at LB?

14. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Carra gets back, the weaker of Skrtel/Agger will take a seat. At this time, it would be Skrtel.

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The only way he'll learn to cope if he's thrown into the pool. He'll be playing out wide so he'll be less exposed to the physical aspect of the league.

16. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    I've got high hopes for Pacheco also but in the very few chances he has had, it should be noted that he's not actually done that much.

Also, he's had Joe Cole, Babel, Ngog and Jovo all ahead of him in the second striker/first off the bench sweepstakes. Hes the youngest and the least experienced of that lot and we've been in no position to slowly bed him in as of yet.

Part of the thinking in getting rid of babel may be to bump young danny up a notch or 2. KK had him on the bench ahead of Ngog on sat as we all noted. I'm pretty sure he'll get a chance pretty soon.

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? I think the exact opposite. He has done more than players who get much more playing time.

I think he has done more in his limited time than Cole has in his appearances.

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he needs to be judged against Maxi and Kuyt though - not Cole or Jova. If he wants to play, he needs to do more than be marginally better than the worst players in the first XI.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Maxi but not Kuyt. Dirk plays such a unique role I don't think that's a fair expectation/comparison for the kid. Let him beat out Maxi though, would love that.

As for Cole and Jova, all he has to do is make the bench and he'll adequately compare to what those guys have contributed this year - squat.

21. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Joe Cole has been a HUGE disappointment and I think its safe to assume that most would be happy with him getting off the wage bill. Still without him we'd be 4 points worse of as he got the winner against Bolton and set up Torres for the winner against Blackburn.

Hopefully the targets we're after this window will see him fall even further in the pecking order or inspire him to get to his best football of a few seasons ago.

As much as I love Gerrard and think the Poulsen signing was a mistake I kind of hope that we keep the same midfield for the Fulham game. When a team is as inconsistent as we've been this year I always think its a mistake to change a winning formula, hopefully a returning Stevie will motivate the 5 man midfield to stay on top of thier game.

22. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're right, but as a side note it's so sad to hear the word "worst" in the same sentence as Kuyt. He's aging and injury has hit him worse than most, but I still think he's an effective player. I hope he at least remains a useful bench figure for us until he decides to call it quits.

23. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm pretty sure 26 was referring to Jova and Cole as 'worst' not Kuyt and Maxi.

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referencing Cole and Jova as "worst". I consider Kuyt and Maxi effective for us.

25. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Are you serious??

Do you really think that a win means that we have finally found the "winning formula"?......i mean, if we were talking about a 7 match winning streak i would agree with you, but after just 1 game won under the new boss?

As Kenny himself said, we just need to get the best players in the pitch at the moment, while he implements his philosophy to the team (which takes time obviously).