Liverpool v Birmingham City - EPL - 23 April [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, two more injured, to add to the already crowded treatment room. I hope Carragher speedily recovers-- he was doing a stirring coaching job on the pitch until the injury, and had refrained from hoofing the ball too.

I guess the starting line-up will depend on his and Carroll's injuries. If both have recovered, I'd start with this lot:

-----------------------------Reina-------------------------
    ---Flanagan-----Carragher------Skrtel-----------Robinson----
    -----------------Lucas--------Spearing-----------------
    --------Kuijt---------------Meireles-----------------Suarez----
    --------------------------Carroll---------------------------------

Substitutes:- Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Rodriguez, N'gog, Cole and Shelvey.

If Carragher and Carroll have not recovered, I'd start Rodriguez (sigh!) on the right and Wilson alongside Skrtel at centre-half. Not sure what has happened to Jovanovic but I'd be tempted to put him on the bench, too. I'd order Spearing to help Meireles and Suarez in attack through the centre.

1 person likes this.
  2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  3. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't get to watch the match as I was out in the desert for Coachella, but what happened to Carroll? I hadn't read anything about him getting hurt.

4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Went up for a high ball and rolled his ankle on landing. He came back on for a while but couldn't play it off so was subbed out, Shelvey went right and Kuyt filled the CF spot. Talk about a twisted knee as well.
    No comments so far on the prognosis.

Coachella, last time I went out to Indio was to play tennis, not to get blasted..:)

5. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    it looked like an awkward step and a slight hyper-extension of the knee... the fact that he was able to play on it for a bit more is a good sign for this match, i'd think...

carra, i'm sure, will not play... the sporting world's new emphasis on treating head injuries/concussions, coupled with our new crack medical staph should see carra sit a few...

that leaves either wilson to pair skrtel, or soto in the middle... i'd love to see kenny give wilson a confidence boost and start him, but i'd bet on krygiakos... we'll need his leadership out there on the back with carra out...

reina
    flanno... skrtel... soto... robinson
    spearing... lucas...
    kuyt..........meireles....
    suarez... carroll​

6. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We'll also need Kyrgiakos to deal with Nikola "taller than Philipp Lahm" Zigic.

7. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If we defend correctly, we won't need to worry about Zigic getting anywhere near the ball. The whole point is for the 1st defender to pressure the player in possession correctly, restricting the ball from even getting to Zigic. I think we're good enough at it, but doing it for 90 minutes, without losing concentration, is the major worry for this team.

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In for the win! :)

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would much rather see Rahim Sterling than Maxi. I wonder if Kenny is ready to give him a chance. Hopefully he will at least make the bench.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From an attacking point of view, he may be better than Rodriguez, though, who simply disappears in matches, but I think Sterling is about half-a season away from first team action.

11. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I suppose I didn't phrase that quite right. What I meant was that if Soto plays, we'll have him deal with Zigic; and not "Soto needs to play because we need someone to deal with Zigic."

12. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sterling possesses something that is completely missing from our midfield...pace. Half-a-season from now, we hope to be a in a title race, and the chances that youngsters break through is more unlikely. I wish we would use to the remaining of this season to give him a chance and see if he can be a real contributor next year.

Most of the time our youngsters make their debuts in meaningless games playing in a really poor side that plays terrible football. I believe this is why we never have seen the best of Pacheco in the first team. Those who have been thrown into the first eleven (Kelly, Flanagan, Robinson, Spearing) have done well. I would love to see how Sterling does playing on the left wing alongside Suarez, Carrol, and Kuyt with a strong midfield behind him.

13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Its way too soon for Sterling, he only turned 16 at Christmas and he's still shorter than Spearing :p. Both Ince and Suso should be picked ahead of him this season as well as Shelvey.

At best next season he'll make a few cameo's in the cups and towards the end of the season in the league but there is no need to rush him and bypass older prospects who also deserve a chance.

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All good points, Suss, but I have to agree with pikas that Ince and Suso right now make a more compelling case for inclusion. In fact I suspect that one of them will shortly be playing a part in the remaining matches. Sterling's time will come.

15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fair enough. Although Ince, Suso, and Sterling are all playing at the same level right now, and it is Sterling who is standing out most. In any case, there is no point in playing Maxi, Cole, or Jovanavic. We already know that they offer nothing to our attack. It is rare for Liverpool to have such meaningless games in the Premier League, so we might as well take advantage of them by seeing what we have in our youth ranks. If they get their debuts out of the way they will go into next season with so much more confidence.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree about Maxi, Cole and Jovanovic (and I'm still thanking our lucky stars we didn't get Chamakh)-- they probably represent the worst of the last two years in terms of acquisitions. I can't imagine that any of them will still be here next season, either, although you never know with footballers [and high wages]. We had Diao on our books long after he had ceased to for us, hadn't we?

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say play the kids. Get them ready for the future. Plus they'll be hungrier to win then the regulars.

18. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    -------------reina
    flano--soto--skrt--robinson
    -------lucas----spearing
    Kuyt-------meireles-----maxi
    -------------suarez

bench: jones, wilson, cole, suso, sterling, n'gog, shelvey

have to have some experience out there, maxi and soto can bring that. hopefully, after we put a couple away in the first half, there will be the opportunity to bring on some of the youngsters after 60 minutes.

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jones is away on loan, hopefully never to return.

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Sterling played for the reserves yet?

I'd be interested in seeing Shelvey in the middle.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well the Brummies are playing the Chavs tomorrow, that could tire them a little bit.

In fact it's going to be a busy day tomorrow with the Spurs hosting the Arse. One of their games in hand. Maybe the Arse won't bottle this one..... wouldn't count on it though...:rolleyes:

Then we have the Copa Cabana :) or whatever, with Barca and Real at Camp Nou.

Going to be a busy afternoon/evening in front of the telly.

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Funny how this thread just died, well, nobody is dying laughing. Guess we're all just waiting. Birmingham lost pretty badly to the Chavs and they're facing the "Chopping Block" Oops, sorry. My wife has just had that show on telly.

Mc Leish isn't one to take it all lying down and I anticipate a dying Brummie last gasp fight. Going to be interesting, at least.

Me, I won't be doing breakfast in bed at Anfield tomorrow. Going to be out on the water racing, nice that the weather will be warmer and we have a new spinaker to try out. So it'll be late afternoon tea with the telly....
    3 points should cap the day nicely.

23. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How many of you think Wilson will be standing in for Carra and how many think it will be Kyrgiakos?

24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is Carra definitely out?

Soto deserves it after his performance coming on against the Arse and with the 2 young full backs having an experienced CB partnership is a plus. And his height is an advantage against Zigic.

Who replaces Carroll though? Either Ngog does or we move Kuyt upfront and need someone for the right. If its Shelvey then both Maxi and Cole are finished at the club.

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not terribly enthused because this, yet again, has the makings of another loss or draw. That's been the pattern for too long now. Always easier when you set your expectations to "realistic'.