Liverpool v. Arsenal (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Oct 2, 2003.

1. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Good God, what bottle we showed today! Edu and Parlour deserve full marks for their toughness at what is traditionally Arsenal's worst away fixture. Henry was a bull once again. The man clearly plays for the win, not the personal glory. Aliadiere continues to show promise: keep him in there Arsene! Toure- a revelation this year. And Cambell and the rest of the defense had several dodgy moments but somehow the Kop couldn't make us pay.

And Pires' goal...what an unbelievable piece of class. Too bad he had to chase Djouf around the park today or we may have seen more of him.

Liverpool played well from their midfield up. Don't understand what happened to their back four- looked worse than us at times. Gerrard played the best match I've seen him play in years. Owen's injury looked awful in the replay- hope he recovers soon.

2. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    So guys, what's your verdict on Aliadiere? I know, this match doesn't make or break, but I thought he was marginal and was glad when he came off. Didn't notice it was he who set up the pass to Pires (have to go back and look at the tape). But what a beauty of a goal that was! I just felt that Aliadiere was a waste for most of the match, and I hesitate to think we can afford him time to develop.

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible. He does deserve another shot.

4. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    okay.. aliadiere was fantastic IMHO... whenever a ball was to be won, he dug in hard... he hustled his freakin arse off throughout the match and won the ball which led to our eventual pires goal... listen wiltord is a class player, but it isnt working.. aliadiere had zero service but yet still was a successful player... i say give him a go again in the next match... AND texas tech kicked the *#*#*#*# out of A&M!! wow, what a weekend.. now if only the cowboys can shut emmitt up..

cheers boys... was a class win...
    come on you gunners!!!!!!

phishy

tech alum by the way~

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A great win at Liverpool, we played awful for most of the game, but still came away with the three points. I was pleased to see Aliadiere get the start and I think he did enough to warrant another against Chelsea. Edu had a good game again, following on from his performance against Lokomotiv. Surely Gilberto must be the one to be benched when Vieira recovers from his injury.

6. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    OK, now I'm back and I have watched the match. First impressions (bear in mind that I PVR'd this one and will surely change my mind 20 times this week):

Does Gilberto even know what it is that he does? Because I don't have a clue.

Pires goal was sick, but we sure could use his elevated effort a bit more often. Maybe his 3 match sit down did him well.

Evey time I think I know how good PV4 is, he gets injured and is replaced, and I realize he's even better.

Ray Parlour. Does his FA Cup goal flash through his mind EVERY TIME he gets within 25 yards? Please, Ray, your workrate is great, you have a great presence on the pitch, don't ruin it with shots Henry wouldn't even attempt.

Before it's all said and done, Campbell and Toure will be discussed as the best central defenders in England.

Can Edu get more love from Wenger? He busts his ass whenever he's on the pitch, he doesn't bitch and moan about where or how much he's playing, and he looks like he is actually enjoying himself. Hands down the MOM, in my opinion.

I didn't see enough of Aliadiere to form any opinion on him. I do agree Wiltord got the ball more, but I think that has more to do with the comfort level of the other players.

Put a fork in Liverpool, 'cuz they're done.

7. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    You know there IS a reason the call him "Romford Pele" and not simply "Pele". He shouldn't touch the ball in the attacking half anymore-period

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pires goal was outstanding, and Edu, way to keep the team in there. The ref was terrible, but that's just opinion. I'm glad to see a Gunners win, and even more glad to see us still atop the Mancs. Come on you Gunners!

9. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Edu get more love from Wenger? He busts his ass whenever he's on the pitch, he doesn't bitch and moan about where or how much he's playing, and he looks like he is actually enjoying himself. Hands down the MOM, in my opinion.

100% agreement about Edu. Going back to the FA Cup match @Manchester United last season, he is a very consistent player who doesn't seem to get enough time on the pitch. His work rate is top notch. Is he going to get a look-see for Brazil in its friendly with Jamaica next week?

10. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu is the Brazilian Ray Parlour.

11. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    why is it everytime Edu plays, some kind of own goal is scored?

12. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Fixed your post...

13. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Has he ever been capped? If memory serves, he hasn't. I don't think Edu fits in too well with Brazil's style, I'm afraid. He's a very un-Brazilian Brazilian. It's like he was born in the wrong country or something, or maybe as a child all his family got on TV was English games.

For a real treat, go back to the title-clincher at OT in 2002. He and Viera shut down manUre's midfield completely.

14. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be surprised if Edu makes the Brazil squad until he holds down a regular place in our midfield, although I think he's worth it ahead of Gilberto at the moment. He's going to get at least one more game to convince Wenger due to Vieira's suspension for the Chelsea game whether he's recovered from his injury or not. I like Edu ahead of Gilberto because he's more willing to put his foot in and he has a much better range of passing. I'm sure there will be plenty of chances for him in the near future with all our busy schedule.

16. Canada Gooner Grl

Canada Gooner Grl New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    East Coast Canada
    All in all...

things aren't looking too bad on the ARSE front...okay, that sounds ruder than I'd normally want but you know what I mean.

We've had a good stiff run-in to start the season off. Newcastle, Liverpool, Man Utd and bagged 7 out of the 9 points available. We're still at the top of the table although a *little* more breathing room would be nice, considering the spate of suspensions that will be raining down upon our little Gooner heads shortly.

A few niggling worries on the injury front. Anyone heard any word on Freddie's prognosis? Vieira should be back soon. Sol's back and looking just fine. Pires looks like he's found himself. I think our keeper's working out just fine. Edu's coming into his own. Toure is the pleasant surprise of the season thus far. Wiltord is...well, Wiltord. Great when he's on his game, effing useless otherwise.

Chelsea's coming up next. I'm not sure what to make of that lot. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to see any of their games and have had to rely on match reports where it sounds like they run hot and cold. Here's hoping for frost in the forecast come the 18th.

And Phishy, I know what you mean about good ol' Ray Parlour but goodness knows, I feel a whole lot less anxious when he's in the starting line-up. Seeing Ray walk out on the pitch makes my blood pressure drop 10 points.

Anyways, let's get tag Chelsea for the 3 points because we know we can do it and get onto the business of mowing through Charlton, Leeds, the Spuds and a whole other lot of "also ran"s . By that time, the suspensions should have wound down for the worst of it.

All in all, I think we're doing all right.

17. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    It says he hasn't made his "full debut". I wonder if he's ever come on as a sub or been on the bench for a match. Further things to ponder...

Good piece about him and his attitude. I wish more players had as much understanding about what life at a big club is like because too many players start moaning about lack of playing time, etc., the moment they're not named in the first XI.

michaec, I agree 100% with your statement. I think he has earned a regular run with the first XI until he proves he can't handle it. A few matches on the subs bench might do Gilberto a bit of good and perhaps he can see where he needs to improve to be more useful in the English game. Edu should get a call ahead of Gilberto for the friendly (if Brazil's manager has watched the past few games) but something tells me Wenger would be more than happy if neither Gilberto or Edu get called up for this match.