Liverpool in the Media (Linked Articles Only) VII

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, May 17, 2018.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    damn right. I'm guessing every single MU player voted for him, knowing that was the only way a MU player had a hope of getting in.

2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Solanke in Championship TotY.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Fabio Carvalho (our player!).

And Harry Wilson.

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is such a great little story - even if it was done through the auspices of a corporation.

el-capitano repped this.
  6. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Touching story and the note at the saying the guy died shortly afterwards was hard to read.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    weird that there's so much instability in this aspect of the club .....

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/...oss-of-key-staff-member-on-eve-of-new-season/
    Liverpool have announced the departure of club doctor Jim Moxon, who has been an integral member of the first team staff since 2020. The Reds’ medical department has seen constant tweaks and changes over the last few years, with the club continually aiming to minimise the risk of injury for their players.

New appointments have been made this summer with the creation of a new role, with Frigyes Vanden Auweele appointed as the new head of osteopathy, while Dr Andreas Schlumberger was handed new responsibilities.

Schlumberger now assumes the role of head of medicine and fitness, meaning he is in charge of both departments from this season.

But he is now to be without the expertise of Moxon, who has wished the club well for the season ahead after Liverpool announced his departure, which appears to be effective immediately.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Interesting piece. I may be a party of one but I’ve never been a committed fan of Mane’ anymore than I ever felt he was fully committed to Liverpool.

Something about his body language and almost childlike reactions to happenings on the pitch or when Klopp has pulled him early. Can’t put my finger on it but it never felt right.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting piece from the Guardian : https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...catching-up-with-this-magnificent-red-machine

The closest parallel here is with Dortmund’s 2014-15 campaign, where a poor start, a World Cup-truncated pre-season, the departure of a star forward (Robert Lewandowski) and an autumn injury crisis sent Klopp’s side into a tailspin from which they could not extricate themselves. “Our football makes no sense,” Klopp moaned after a meek 2-1 defeat at Köln, and yet even as Dortmund went into freefall there was still little appetite for a change. After all, Klopp had enthusiastically signed a contract extension only the previous season. There were new forwards such as Ciro Immobile and Adrián Ramos who needed time to bed in. The footballing message remained the same. In retrospect, perhaps this became part of the problem.

No team as good as Liverpool can ever be truly “worked out”. What has changed is form and execution, confidence and sharpness, the little one-percenters that make all the difference when you are playing a high-energy, high-wire style of football. And the early evidence of this season suggests that on the simple measures of running, challenging and creating, Liverpool have sharply regressed. Not only that, but in many cases these are an acceleration of trends that were already becoming evident last season.

Pressures in the final third have dropped from 45 to 36. Carries into the final third have dropped from 18 to 12. Even fouls – a measure of the aggression and prejudice with which Liverpool sought to stop you playing – have dropped 25% from last season.
    And yet Liverpool are seeing more of the ball: 70%, compared with 62-63% in each of the last four seasons.
    All over the pitch, and indeed off it, Liverpool have traded safety for risk, entrenchment for engagement, conservatism for enterprise. Much has been made of the fact that Liverpool have barely made a misstep in the transfer market over the last few seasons. Which is a lot easier, of course, for as long as your strategy is so rigid and risk-averse that you barely make a step at all.

Perhaps the story of this Liverpool team is one that hit unimaginable peaks but has since failed to move forward, that haven’t really had the time to move forward, that haven’t had the time to do very much at all except keep the engine running, keep the lights on, keep turning up every three days.

Were this a smaller or a bigger club, Klopp might have had greater scope for reinvention: time to implement new ideas, time (and money) to refresh the squad, perhaps simply time to whisk everyone off to some gladed idyll and shoot the breeze in front of a roaring campfire. But here and now, this is all there is: a puffing red engine operating at the very limits of its capacity.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We do need a midfielder (or two) but much of the criticism in that piece should be tempered by the fact that this side is missing 10 players at the moment so obviously not likely to perform at its peak level.

soccershaggy and newterp repped this.
  12. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #837 Red Bird, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    I agree and we have actually been adding to side unlike in Germany where Klopp was continually being burgled by Bayern. Also, unlike earlier in preseason, he’s coming round to the idea it’s pointless claiming to have 9 midfielders in the squad if you can’t really rely on them to be available.

speker repped this.
  13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

totally. that's an overly reactionary article.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    after 3 games as well/

ps I'll read it again after today's match :eek::eek:

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the main assumption is that Klopp’s incapable of learning from past mistakes.

16. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Liew has moved onto W Ham as the club in crisis now. Catastrophe averted.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  19. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    speker repped this.
  21. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Some sound perspective there.

SamScouse repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The supporters know. I would take them over Klopp and staff every day of the week, and twice on Sunday's (depending on who we are playing).

speker repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL. you're joking, riight?

put any 5 supporters together and ask them to pick a team and the fistfights would break out in about 3 minutes.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I'm joking. I wouldn't take anyone over Klopp and team. They have basically earned unlimited free passes.

they know they have a job to do to fix this and integrate new players - and I would back them to do it.

CB-West, LiverpoolFanatic and SamScouse repped this.
  25. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think that sometimes the coaches can't see the forest for the trees as the old saying goes.
    We're in a bit of a fix mostly down to inadequate planning imo and now the guys responsible are the ones who will have to dig us out.

CB-West repped this.