Liverpool Football Corporation: The Business of LFC

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense for all involved... NBA makes buckets of money and LeBron clearly wants to take the next step into ownership/billionaire status, a la Magic Johnson or Beckham.

The biggest appetites for new NBA franchises are almost certain to be Las Vegas & Seattle... so I'd think expanding there allows for a sensible re-alignment of the conferences -- New Orleans & Memphis lift right out of "the West" IMO.

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]

https://www.football365.com/news/li...-drop-deloitte-football-money-league-rankings
    The fact that PSG and citeh are in the top 3 shows just how illegitimate their revenue really is. Clubs with fan bases 3x the size of theirs, with histories 8x longer, unable to earn the same in sponsor revenue as them is proof that the funding of these clubs is being done through back channels and loopholes.

oikos, newterp and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we dropped 4 places coz revenue dipped half a million quid (0.1%) ?

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also real proof and evidence. Like recently - I think it was City who had a new sponsor that didn't exist last year, was headed by a fictitious person, and they used an internet stock image for her picture.

EDIT: yes - it was City Manchester City's new betting partner: mysterious owner and 'fake profiles' - Mirror Online

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and Guardiola has the fvcking nerve to tell Ceferin to "respect the process". what a prick. and the UK media let him get away with it.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...l-accounts-champions-league-breaking-28721334

Liverpool have posted a £9m pre-tax loss for the 2022/23 financial year but saw commercial revenues reach record levels.

While the Reds saw a drop in media revenue to the tune of £19m, a £17m increase in administrative costs, and a fall in matchday revenue of £7m year on year, commercial revenues rose £25m to £272m, a rise that helped the club’s overall revenue remain static at £594m.

The commercial uplift includes the continued growth of the partnership with kit manufacturer Nike, as well as renewed deals for greater sums with principal shirt partners Standard Chartered, and sleeve partners Expedia, both of which were concluded during the 2022/23 reporting period.

Media revenue fell to £242m, largely due to the exit of the club from the UEFA Champions League at the last-16 stage compared to reaching the final of the competition during the 2021/22 reporting period. Likewise, the fall in matchday revenue was due to less home games being played due to early exits from the Champions League, FA Cup, and Carabao Cup.

The club, according to analysis from Nielsen Sports, is the most watched team in world football across the past five seasons, with an average per season broadcast audience of over 724m.

The club’s wage bill increased from £366m to £373m, with the players signed during that period including Darwin Nunez, Cody Gakpo, and Calvin Ramsay, while 12 new contract extensions were agreed, the most prominent being the new deal for Mohamed Salah, a contract that made him the highest paid player in club history.

In addition to new and extended deals with commercial partners, commercial revenue was also positively impacted by the pre-season tour of Thailand and Singapore last summer. The club’s retail operations also had a record year for revenue with seven new stores opening across Asia and over 350,000 downloads of the new LFC Store App, the first of its kind in the football industry. It was also a record year for footfall across all of the club’s global Liverpool stores, peaking at 2.5m shoppers, which includes over 10,000 every match day at Anfield.

Liverpool managing director Andy Hughes said: “Operating this great club in a financially sustainable manner and in accordance with football’s governing principles has been our priority since FSG acquired LFC in 2010.

“Despite the significant growing costs of football, the success of our commercial operations demonstrates the strength of our underlying financial position so we can continue to operate sustainably while competing at the highest levels of football. We’re really excited to see the completion of the new Anfield Road Stand in the coming months. Having a record league attendance this year demonstrates just how far we’ve come since starting the significant capital investment to redevelop Anfield 10 years ago. Matchday revenue is a hugely important part of our overall financial sustainability model. Having the ability to grow our controllable income streams is a crucial part of our long-term plans which enables us to continue reinvesting both on and off the pitch to support both our men’s and women’s team's ambitions.

“While these financial results are a moment in time on our journey, what remains constant is the growing global appeal of the club and, thanks to our amazing support, LFC continues to be the most globally followed club in the Premier League. We look forward to the remainder of this season with our men’s and women’s teams finishing as strongly as possible with continuing success.”

The club have highlighted that administrative expenses at the club have increased significantly in recent years, from £320m to £562m, with annual operating costs for Anfield up 40% from 2018, utility costs doubling from what they were two years ago, and staff costs increasing 79% since 2018.

From a digital perspective in current reporting period, Liverpool became the first club in the Premier League to reach 8m YouTube subscribers and surpassed 40m followers on both Instagram and Facebook, meaning that the club now has over 173m cumulative social followers across its men’s and women’s social media channels.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    If you want to be called a Commie! and told you hate America, please point out that the Stupid Bowl had a worldwide viewership of 175m this year.

SamScouse repped this.
  9. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehh. That's per season. The super bowl is one game. So if you try to make that argument you rightfully may be called worse.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    True. Want to delve down deeper into the numbers?
    Number of games played by say, NY Giants over the season and the average number of people worldwide watching each game vs. average number of people watching Newcastle or Inter or Atletico?

11. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'd be better off comparing the superbowl to a world cup final which was estimated to be 1.5 billion in 2022. I'd imagine that the per season viewership for most big European football teams is going to be similarly higher though...

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I do agree, but I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that a big Liverpool domestic game (Carabao, FA, PL) would give the Super Bowl a run for its money or exceed it. Our games with United have an audience of about 0.5bn on a regular basis. Supposedly. Which vastly outnumbers the Super Bowl.

I have regularly found myself in conversation with Americans who point blank refuse to believe anything outnumbers the Super Bowl and think the NBA dominates world viewing. I find it in equal parts frustrating and hilarious.

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You also have to strip out the 50% of viewers who only watch the Superbowl for the half-time show.

Boy were they dissapointed. :laugh:

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and not the least bit surprising, imo.

I've always felt that it's a shame more Americans don't travel abroad* (I get why they don't, standard vacation benefits are relatively poor compared to other countries). they'd see that the world is a lot bigger, more interesting, less threatening and lot less "inferior" than they are led to believe by many in the US media.

* casual observation only -- these days I bump into a LOT fewer travelling Americans than I used to 20-40 years ago, even 10 years ago. dunno why.

15. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    …because we all started calling ourselves Canadians.

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    bastards.

not that it works - you mostly lack the appropriate "I'm sorry" gene.

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "O Canadia! O Canadia!"

I Learned the anthem!

18. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I thought it was "O Poutine" (eh?)

19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's the Quebec anthem.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No, that’s the famous, ”On parle pas anglais jamais”.

speker repped this.
  21. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    #521 Menace2Sobriety, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    If FSG are indeed exploring a multi-club model, would Schalke be a candidate given their financial struggles? Former big club with a large fan base, good infrastructure already in place - anyone know more about their situation and how this might work with fan ownership?

Thoughts about the new model?

22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it sucks ... but its the way things are going.

Looking at their rules - Germany will be very hard to breach on this issue.

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we'll need to fight them on the breaches!

(sorry, couldn't resist. :) )

24. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Aaaarg....

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group are exploring the possibility of buying an MLS club. (Football Insider)

B.A. repped this.