Liverpool Football Club's Team Of The Decade

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by CCSC_STRIKER20, Dec 11, 2009.

1. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought this would be a great discussion generating thread. Let the discussion and debate begin. When the team is announced, I will post it along with videos, profiles, and pictures.

:)

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I list my team, I am not going to be seeing if they could work together, I will just fit them into a general formation of 4-4-2.

I think it would make sense to keep your formation to pretty familiar ones like 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 3-5-2, etc.

Here is mine...

Reina
    Finnan - Carragher - Hyypia - Riise
    Garcia - Gerrard - Hamann - Berger
    Torres - Owen

Subs - Dudek, Agger, Henchoz, Alonso, Kuyt, Benayoun, Fowler​

They also ask you to vote for the goal of the decade.

I voted twice because I couldn't decide. :)

I voted for Mellor's goal vs Arsenal and Gerrard's goal vs Olympiacos.

3. PHootieD

PHootieD New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised that Istanbul wasn't on the Moment of the Decade list

4. ibbyruns

ibbyruns Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Barcelona
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd probably go with...

Reina
    Finnan - Carragher - Hyypia - Riise
    Garcia - Gerrard - Alonso - Berger
    Torres - Fowler

Subs: Dudek, Agger, Babbel, Hamann, Benayoun, Kuyt, Owen.

As far as the best goal, I voted for Gerrard's against Olympiakos. I thought Gerrard's against Middlesbrough was brilliant as well.

5. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's a really poor list of selections for Left Midfielder/Winger, lol. I don't really want to pick any of those.

6. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know!

Berger is the best choice. Though if Riera stays a little longer and stays fit he could turn out to be better.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For sure. Until then I'd probably make my team of the decade a 3-5-2

----------------------Reina------------------------

-------Carra------Hypia----Agger/Henchoz------

Finnan-------------------------------------------Riise

---------------Alonso--------Hamann----------------

-----------------------Gerrard-------------------------

------------------Kuyt------------Torres----------

8. PHootieD

PHootieD New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuyt over Owen or Fowler?

9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's right.

Fowler's best years were in the 90's.

Owen can just go f*ck himself. :D

10. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have to admit that if Hyypia, Henchoz, and Carragher were all in their primes they would be a really, really good 3 at the back.

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'll go with:

Reina
    Finnan Carra Hyypia Riise
    Yossi Masch Alonso 'Arry :D
    Torres Gerrard

The striker poll is funny. So far 6278 votes &
    Jari Litmanen
    Djibril Cisse
    Peter Crouch
    Milan Baros
    Dirk Kuyt
    Emile Heskey
    Craig Bellamy

have not got a vote yet! ;)

12. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would vote for 'Arry.

You would!!!

13. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Actually- he's second in the poll atm- with 26%! :D

14. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well shit.

His competition is Ryan Babel...awesome.

15. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------------Riena
    Finnan----Carra----Sami ----Riise
    Kuyt-----Didi----Gerrard ---Yossi (because he's the least worst)
    --------The Wee Bastard Traitor
    -----------------El Nino

I'd put God as the second striker but not really this decade.

Bench
    Dudek, Gary Mac (for 2001), Heskey, Mash, Agger, Smicer (for utility), God

16. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost want to put Gary Mac on my team for this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlejyLFTcM"]Gary Mac![/ame]

17. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That never will get old. I ran around my living room like a mad man when that happened.

18. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only the three goals in the second half at Istanbul made me happier. Well, maybe Stevie's against Olympiakos and West Ham; but for sheer, cheeky, Scouse brilliance that will always be the best!

19. PHootieD

PHootieD New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome lineup LB. For me, Alonso over Didi in the middle.

21. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is currently dead to me.

"Xabi, you're my holding midfielder, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Club again. Ever. "

22. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revealed - Your Keeper Of The Decade

Pepe Reina

[​IMG]

Pepe Reina was your clear winner - amassing an incredible 81 per cent of the vote to land the title of our most outstanding custodian of the Noughties.

The Spain ace beat off competition from Istanbul hero Jerzy Dudek, who was second in our poll having collected 17 per cent of the total, while Sander Westerveld clinched third ahead of Chris Kirkland.

Aged just 27, Reina is regarded by many to be one of the finest stoppers in world football.

Powerful and commanding, with unrivalled agility and a unique penchant for claiming an assist or two, the No.25 has been Rafael Benitez's first choice since arriving at Anfield from Villarreal in the summer of 2005.

He has since racked up in excess of 200 appearances for the Reds and sent a number of long-standing club records tumbling in the process.

His debut season on Merseyside ended in glory as Reina was the hero in a dramatic FA Cup final penalty shootout victory over West Ham in Cardiff, saving three out of four spot-kicks to help bring the trophy back to L4.

The 2005-06 campaign also saw the goalkeeper keep a club record 11 consecutive clean sheets and win the Premier League's 'Golden Gloves' award.

Milestones continued to be smashed the following season and Pepe's shut out against Blackburn in April 2007 was his 28th in his first 50 league games - three more than Kop legend Ray Clemence.

Reina also displayed his penalty-saving prowess once more as he thwarted Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final at Anfield.

The Madrid-born 'keeper excelled again in 2007-08, winning his third consecutive Golden Glove, and his form earned a place in Spain's triumphant Euro 2008 squad.

Reina set yet another club record this year when he became the fastest stopper in Liverpool's history to reach the 100 clean sheets mark, further strengthening his credentials as one of the finest to have ever donned the Reds' goalkeeping jersey.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFwNtKHiwA"]Pepe Reina[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvrzoYj2g"]Reina's Greatest Saves[/ame]

23. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revealed - Your Center Backs Of The Decade

Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thousands of votes were cast, and Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher were the runaway winners in our poll.

The towering Finn collected 56 per cent of the vote to put him just ahead of Carra, who amassed 39 per cent.

Daniel Agger claimed third, with Martin Skrtel and Stephane Henchoz in fourth and fifth respectively.

Hyypia bade an emotional farewell to Liverpool earlier this year after 10 exceptional years on Merseyside.

A bargain buy from Dutch side Willem II in 1999, the commanding defender quickly established himself as a rock in the heart of the Reds' defence.

Ever a cool head in the heat of battle, Hyypia was an instrumental part of Liverpool's treble-winning success of 2001, forming a formidable partnership with Henchoz to help Gerard Houllier's side to the League, FA and UEFA Cups, as well as a Champions League spot.

Carragher, meanwhile, found himself deployed largely in the full-back areas - until Rafa Benitez's arrival at Anfield in 2004.

The Spaniard quickly decided to pair Hyypia with the Bootle-born star and the duo were imperious in aiding the Reds' march to the Champions League final in Istanbul, turning in domineering performances against the likes of Juventus and Chelsea.

It was in the Ataturk Stadium that Carragher affirmed his credentials as one of Europe's finest central defenders and the iconic images of the Scouser ravaged by cramp, but still managing to clear dangerous Milan crosses from inside his own six-yard box, will live long in the memory.

Having got their hands on the Champions League trophy, the pair tasted silverware success again 12 months later as the Reds secured the FA Cup courtesy of a dramatic penalty shootout victory over West Ham United in Cardiff, with Hyypia successful from the spot.

The arrivals of Agger and Skrtel bolstered Liverpool's defensive ranks, meaning Carragher and Hyypia's playing time together was lessened, though the latter remained an always dependable figure for Benitez to call upon.

Hyypia brought his Reds career to a close in the summer, but not before he exemplified why he is one of the finest defenders to have ever represented the club with an immaculate performance in Liverpool's 4-1 demolition of Manchester United at Old Trafford.

He turned out 464 times overall for the Reds, scoring 35 goals, before joining Bayer Leverkusen on a free-transfer.

In total, Hyypia and Carragher made 157 appearances together in the middle of the Reds' defence - and statistics support your decision to select them as our centre-back pairing of the decade as Liverpool lost just 34 of those games and kept 68 clean sheets.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiOr8oHVEuw"]Sami Hyypia[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQVy4WmJJPI"]Sami Hyypia[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wzShoHTqxY"]Jamie Carragher[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977gLtaqi_s"]Carragher Greatest Tackles[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DP1B044Zw"]Carragher Compilation[/ame]

25. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

In one of the most fiercely contested categories, Steve Finnan emerged triumphant, amassing 53 per cent of your votes.

The steadfast defender saw off stiff competition from Jamie Carragher (20 per cent) to land the accolade.

Markus Babbel clinched third with 19 per cent, while Alvaro Arbeloa was fourth (8 per cent).

Finnan quickly established himself as Anfield's very own Mr Consistency following his transfer from Fulham in the summer of 2003 - though a series of injuries disrupted his first season on Merseyside.

The arrival of Rafael Benitez in 2004 cast some doubt on the future of the Ireland international, but he was soon to establish himself as an important figure in the plans of the Spaniard.

A model of consistency, Finnan netted his first - and indeed only - Liverpool goal in a 3-0 demolition of West Bromwich Albion in September of the same year.

The No.2 also played a key role in helping the Reds to the Champions League final in Istanbul in 2005.

Finnan was handed a starting berth against AC Milan, but unfortunately had to leave the field at half-time due to injury.

The Limerick-born full-back was a virtual ever-present the following campaign as Liverpool clinched the FA Cup with a dramatic penalty shootout victory over West Ham United in Cardiff.

2006-07 saw Finnan make 47 appearances as Rafa's Reds reached another Champions League final against Milan. He played for 88 minutes in Athens, though was unable to help defeat the Italians for a second time.

The acquisition of Alvaro Arbeloa meant Finnan's playing time was reduced in 07-08 and he joined Espanyol on the final day of the transfer window in August 2008 before returning to English football to sign for Portsmouth earlier this year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXbh-G442E"]Steve Finnan[/ame]​