Liverpool Football Club in the Media (Linked Articles Only)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Grinners89, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I knew I didn't spell it right. I'm in print journalism though, I won't have to write that word, we write for people with fifth grade vocabularies. :D

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Jan's Tip of the Week

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I sympathise with Kuijt and I still feel the loss of my own father four years ago. But we are talking about Liverpool F.C. here and Benitez has to bear the criticism that goes with for selecting the player when he clearly is gripped by this all-too-consuming grief. If he really believes that Kuijt has been doing a very good job, it is one seriously damning indictment of the other strikers we have at the club.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In keeping with the recent bout of self-examination and introspection, Carragher puts in his tupence worth.

I deliberately snipped off Riise's sentiments as I wish the talking would, as Alonso said, be done more on and less in newspapers columns.

5. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posted this in the Ownership Saga thread as well.

Rafa's "Perfect Excuse"

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benitez's riposte. I saw the interview on Sky Sports News and never has the word liar been so emphatically uttered.

7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Lucas reveals Inter offer

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva has admitted that he turned down offers from Italy and Spain to make the move to Anfield from Brazilian club Gremio.

The 20-year-old has scored once in 19 appearances for the Reds this season and is pleased with the decision he made last summer.

He told the club's official magazine: "I am the kind of person who likes a challenge.

"I was in a fortunate position at Gremio because I had achieved some success and I was made a lot of very interesting offers.

"Some of them were in Spain and it's true I had an enquiry from Internazionale too.

"For me it was only a sporting project and a club that would help me meet my ambitions and allow me to help them achieve theirs.

"I could have gone to Spain or Italy and it would have been more like I am used to, but I want to make the most of my career and I want to challenge myself."

8. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    From crock to rock

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benitez contemplates suing for libel.

10. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After discussions about this on here, I brought this up in my Media and Social Change class. I got into it with a couple of people who are staunch supporters of Faux News. I won the argument by the way, but that's not too hard considering some of my classmates are no smarter than circus monkeys.

11. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    Good to see Lucas was getting offers from other big clubs. I was a bit surprised when we signed him and really kind of disregarded him as a squad/reserve player, but he looks to be the real deal. Let's hope for the best.

And CCSC, I love the sig. :D

12. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you have seen FUBAR as well? Greatest Canadian Mockumentary ever made.

13. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He won the Brasilian player of the year (top award in Serie A) at 19 years old and you though of him as a squad player?

I dont know whether you knew much about him before his move but i can tell you that he was an outstanding complete central midfielder at Gremio and can play many different roles...as a dlpm, a distributing central midfielder, a box-to-box midfielder and an attacking midfielder...he is the SG-mini ;)

14. Siamonoi

Siamonoi New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Houston
    Kop legend Smith blasts Reds boss Benitez

Legendary Liverpool defender Tommy Smith has launched a stinging criticism of Reds boss Rafael Benitez after his side were knocked out of the FA Cup by Barnsley.
    Brian Howard's injury-time winner at Anfield dumped Liverpool out of yet another competition, leaving them with just the Champions League - in which they face Inter Milan this week - to contest.

And Smith, who captained Liverpool to the 1971 league and UEFA Cup double, has hit out at Benitez's controversial rotation policy and decision to rest several key players for yesterday's visit of the Coca-Cola Championship side.

Smith told BBC Radio Five Live: 'In the programme for yesterday's game Benitez said cup competitions are always dangerous if you think you can beat teams easily. So why on earth didn't he put a strong team out against Barnsley?'

Smith admitted Reds fans may finally start to run out of patience with the Spanish boss.

'I should imagine so. At the end of the day Bill Shankly used to tell us you're only as good as your last result. How on earth does Benitez think he's going to win stuff if he puts a second-class team out?

'Because Liverpool's squad is not as strong as I think he thought at the beginning of the season. I don't think he's even got a strong first XI.

'How could he leave (Jose) Reina, (Steven) Gerrard and (Javier) Mascherano out?'

Smith admitted the last-16 European tie with Inter is now do-or-die.

'I'm afraid so,' he said. 'He keeps going on about winning four cups and all that but at the end of the day it's not even entertaining at Anfield at the moment. The crowd keep it going but they booed everybody at the end of the game and quite rightly.

'The first person you put on the team-sheet is Gerrard. How on earth could he sit on the bench for 75 minutes and watch that...then he (Benitez) talks about chances. Well, they've gone. You can't score after the game finishes.'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=508760&cc=5901

15. Siamonoi

Siamonoi New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Houston
    Rafa demands respect

Reds boss hits back at critics

The Tykes, who sit mid-table in the Championship, recorded a huge upset as they came from behind to knock Liverpool out 2-1 at Anfield.

And the defeat adds increasing pressure on under-fire Benitez as Liverpool can now only realistically target silverware in this season's UEFA Champions League.

But Benitez, who took over at Anfield in 2004, has defended his record at Liverpool after guiding the Merseyside outfit to two Champions League finals in the past three years - including winning the competition in 2005.
    Benitez has also steered Liverpool to success in the 2006 FA Cup and Community Shield, alongside the 2005 European Super Cup, and the Spaniard believes that record deserves respect.

"If you analyse the last few years since I came to the club we have won four trophies and been in seven finals, including two in the Champions League," Benitez said in The People.

"How many other managers have done the same in their first three or four years at the club? People can talk about being successful but nobody is winning trophies every year.

"To do that is really difficult so I think we are in a really good position with a very young squad, so I have a lot of confidence in the team for the future."
    Benitez's relationship with Liverpool's American owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks has also been questioned and his future at the club was cast into doubt after the duo met Jurgen Klinsmann, who is set to take over at Bayern Munich in the summer, earlier in the season.

"When you are trying to work hard and do your job it is hard to accept the criticism that is always following me," Benitez added. "And, yes, it is a big surprise to see another manager in the background."

Benitez, though, is confident Liverpool stand a good chance of progressing in the Champions League when they meet Italian champions Internazionale in the last 16 on Tuesday.

"It could be important to us to progress in Europe because that would give us more confidence, particularly if we beat a team like Inter," Benitez continued.

"It's not impossible. We have done it before and we could do it again - why not?"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3156340,00.html

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Carragher reckons it's more than just a bad spell as we are simply not good enough
    An rather honest assessment and I see pointed criticism of the quality of some players here. And, implicitly, the manager who signed and selects them.

17. Siamonoi

Siamonoi New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Houston
    Hats off to Jamie for his honesty. It's about time we all start admitting that we cannot hope to accomplish what the other top 3 do with the low quality squad we have.

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    TORRES: THIS IS WHY I SIGNED FOR LIVERPOOL

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, where did this come from?

An astonishingly good analysis from the Manchester Guardian, of all papers!

20. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't they write it in Lahndahn --- home of most Manchester United supporters?:D

It is spot on except for not naming Parry as the consistent fly in our ointment.

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can anyone figure this one out? This may turn out to be the longest admission to being an idiot there ever has been.

22. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is like saying you should marry an extremely gorgeous women - even if she cheats on you with the pool boy and steals all your money, leaving you dejected and broke.

No, thank you.

I'll take the dependable, trustworthy, average-looking woman that loves me.

Arsenal's play is nice, but we won. He needs to get the f--- over it.

23. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It just seems that someone is trying to make excuses for Arsenal, who will probably get knocked out in 2 weeks at the San Siro.

Btw...how are Milan and Inter going to both play home games at the same time against Arsenal and us respectively?

24. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    Looking at the schedule now, it appears our game is a week later than the other 7 matches. Milan play Arsenal on the 4th, We play Inter on the 11th.

25. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thats why our match is in 3 weeks not the usual 2...thanks mate.

With 4 matches in 3 weeks our players wont be exhausted and will hopefully continue the dominance of play we showed against Inter as well as Agger being able to play 2 EPL games.