Liverpool FC vs West Ham - EPL - Feb 24 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 20, 2020.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And one for Robbo.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not today. I'm all hoping that he comes good as well, but he wasn't very influential today, and always seems to be coming back from injury, which leads to rustiness and working back into form, which doesn't help him.

3. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good 3 points. Never gave up. Need to play much better if we are going to get into the next round of the CL. Their goals were difficult to do stop but letting them have a 1 on 1 with Allison is just poor defense

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I thought he was okay. He was winning the ball back and keeping the ball well. He didn’t do anything sensational or have a huge impact on the game, but it might be unfair to expect that from him every time. Our other midfielders aren’t judged by that standard. There doesn’t seem to be any middle ground with Naby. Either people want to say he’s brilliant or they want to write him off completely. There are also many games where we say “this is a huge opportunity for Keita.” The pressure is always on him to be the star of the show.

Ox had much more of an impact when he came on. But he also happened to come on at the same time that the crowd came to life and the rest of the team got pissed off and decided it was time to win the match.

newterp, bayred and usscouse repped this.
  5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe that was because of him coming on? He certainly brought some fire to the team when he stepped on the field...sometimes that is easier to do as a sub...

my though after a couple of minutes was that Ox was trying to earn a spot!

It would be great if they both (all) did that!

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was a huge amount of complacency about Liverpool, the players and the crowd to a certain extent almost believing that they just needed to turn up to win. In the Premier League, against a team fighting for survival? Too many casual plays and slipshod performances out there. Klopp looked rightly pissed off, too.

Thankfully, even at our poorest, we dug out the results but Atlético will not be so accommodating. Need to snap out of this post break lethargy.

bayred and usscouse repped this.
  7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How many has Robertson have this season?

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You lost me?

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeah, definitely the defining moment in the game. Coincidence or not it lifted us out of that ”Don’t they know who we are” attitude and started playing our game.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    6, I think from reading about it this season. He's also weighed in with 3 goals-- just needs to work on that right foot :D

verde-rubro repped this.
  11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    68' Salah/Fabianski goal.
    88' Alisson/Bowen save.

I think these two moments showed the difference between the sides last night. Yes, I know Mane had scored number 3 by the time Alisson saved and Fabianski did have an off night, but these two incidents were the making of the result.

Both keepers might have done better for their respective first goals, but the difference was that Fabianski made another mistake for his second and Alisson didn't. Fornals scored a good goal and Alisson found his way to his usual imperious self - especially with that Bowen save - whereas Fabianski arguably was at fault for all 3 Liverpool goals. And therein lies the difference. When called upon, Fabianski failed and Alisson succeeded. Mane may have scored the winning goal, but there's a good argument to be made that Alisson won the 3 points.

12. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not the first time for that argument...:thumbsup:

13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    assists

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    wow not bad for left and right backs

15. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that was fun a game with some actual tension.

Next few weeks will define our season.

We can win the league before we even lose a match, advance in Europe and the FA Cup. Let's go.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeah, I was a tad slow this morning. I finally woke up though. :)

17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we have now 26 wins the same what arsenal invincible's got back then :)

newterp repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to watch the game - it seemed to be a pretty good performance from us but we were definitely lax defensively. We have to get ourselves tuned up for Atlético however.

19. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    4 to go btw ;)

delaynomo repped this.
  20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ays-klopp-after-record-equalling-west-ham-win

LiverpoolFanatic and Navieko repped this.
  21. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to the Hammers, they played better than I expected them to and really gave us a game. Three points closer...

usscouse repped this.
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed. After we looked feckless and their 2nd goal went in, I was getting that sinking feeling that we might finally lose...to Moyes no less!

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We were sold on an all-action, attacking, gegenpressing machine of a midfielder.
    He seems to play without urgency and with little desire to get forward and instead attempting to be the second coming of tiki taka.

"He was winning the ball back and keeping the ball well. He didn’t do anything sensational" - that's what we have Fabinho and Gini for. Keita is supposed to be the link to move us forward.
    Just before he was hauled off he had both Klopp and Ljinders screaming at him, imploring him to get forward. He didn't respond to either of them and Ox was brought on in his place.

StiltonFC and burning247 repped this.
  24. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, Gini is a better choice than Naby. Naby is either trying too hard or not hard enough to fit into the Klopp plan.

In the long run, because of his age, he might pan out, but he's second rate most of the time he's on the pitch. The facts speak for themselves.

25. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is a bit unfair to expect that from him every time out. Ox recently had a run of about 5 games in a row where he was picked in the first team. He did alright, but didn't make a huge impact in any of them. He was subbed in most of those starts. However, Keita elicits a much stronger reaction from everyone anytime he fails to put in man of the match performance.

He did have a great run of form right before Christmas, and Klopp has trusted him in some huge games. He started against Salzburg and was excellent in that match. He started against Flamengo in Qatar. He started Boxing Day against Leceister in what most consider Liverpool's best performance of the season. In that stretch of games he was consistently one of our best players, before getting inured again.

Going back to last season, Klopp started him at the Nou Camp, where his bad luck with injuries found him again. However, it says a lot that Klopp chose to start him in what was the biggest test of the whole season.

His injuries are what have held him back. For the most part, when he has played, his performances have been good. Anyone who is into advanced statistics will tell you that Naby's stats are off the charts. I think all he needs is a run of games, and not have everyone write him off every time he fails to make a huge impression on the match.