Liverpool FC vs Real Madrid - CL FINAL - May 28 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, May 22, 2022.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Oh dear, UEFA. This is what’s known in the game as an own goal. Tiago Brandão Rodrigues, the independent investigator, leader of the independent inquiry works for, ummm, UEFA.

Just as Darmanin and Oudéa-Castéra tried to bluster and stampede their way through the press to paint the Liverpool fans as the culprits, I suspect UEFA like those two French muppets will quickly realize whom it is exactly they’re up against. And like the French with their gratuitous Hillsborough references, Tiago Brandão Rodrigues has form here also.

But it’s an independent inquiry!!!

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    The French Senate report dropped today. As expected, when it could only look at facts and not hyperbole, it completely exonerates Liverpool fans and blames UEFA, the policing and points a finger at Darmanin for fanning the flames.

“It is unfair to have wanted to make supporters of the Liverpool team bear the responsibility for the disturbances that occurred, as the Minister of the Interior did to divert attention from the inability of the state to adequately manage the crowds present and to curb the action of several hundred violent and co-ordinated offenders.”

Furthermore,

“The systems put in place had major shortcomings with regard to the intelligence (absence of hooligans but presence of delinquents in large numbers), the transport routes for supporters (removal of a drop-off route at the surroundings of the stadium) and insufficient communication.

“It is not only in the execution that problems arose. Upstream, the crisis scenarios were insufficiently worked on and did not demonstrate the necessary flexibility in the face of so many unanticipated events.”

Now the big questions are as follows:
    1. Consequences for Darmanin and Oudéa-Castéra? Both provably and knowingly lied and refused to correct the record when given the chance.
    2. For the French police? The Chief being gone might be seen as enough, but it’s not. Also, what about dereliction of duty, allowing fans to assaulted by the locals? The ridiculous intelligence? Beware of 1989 in Sheffield but don’t worry about the local youth in 2022 in Saint Denis?
    3. UEFA report? It cannot differ hugely or materially from this report, so those messages on the stadium screens? Who’s responsible and consequences? Those screens are still the official position of UEFA, fwiw. UEFA has had many opportunities to correct the record and has refused to do so.
    4. Reparations for fans? There will be different groups. Those tear gassed, those not tear gassed but denied entry and those assaulted by the locals who were denied police protection.

I’ve mentioned several times that Anfield, Scraton and UEFA have yet to weigh in. Those reports are going to be really awkward for UEFA and the French police. It’s still not over, but that 3–0 lead that France and UEFA had over Liverpool? Well it’s 4-3 to the fans now and France and UEFA have received 2 reds and a bunch of yellows.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    excellent summary Samark.

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Forgot to add above that SOS are still on the case, as is Dan Austin. Far, far from over.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    It’s often said that the British are masters of understatement. The French Senate are giving them a run for their money.

“Welcoming supporters in a festive setting had been neglected.”

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's like running a Terry Gilliam movie backwards, that is .....

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #583 Samarkand, Jul 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Way, way up thread I firstly said I expected The Guardian’s David Conn to get involved; once he got on the case, I made the point that he was one of the best investigative journalists I’d ever come across and he’d be not just a good ‘un to have on our side, but a great ‘un.

Well, there’s a decent chance that David Conn has fatally wounded and blown apart UEFA’s “independent” report. Pretty sure there’s no coming back from this one. At a guess, Anfield tipped him off, but knowing David, he could just have easily done all the leg work himself. As I keep saying, the ominous thing for UEFA is that Anfield (and Real) and Scraton have been silent so far. That’s no accident. All have been happy to wait in the long grass and watch UEFA and the French be wounded, and often badly. They firmly believe in Napoleon’s maxim, "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake," obviously.

In light of Conn’s disclosures, a strong statement from Anfield should kill off this inquiry, leading to a truly independent investigation.

UEFA and the French are quite good at Noughts and Crosses; Anfield and Liverpool supporters have long since learned, through heartache and misery, the nuances of grandmaster chess.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Plus les choses changent plus elles restent les mêmes-- the Blatter-Infantino-Platini axis has been replaced by an Eastern European led cabal :rolleyes:

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #585 SamScouse, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    and STILL there are people in the media who continue to spout bullshit about Liverpool fans ... with no pushback at all. it's about time this geriatic Manc supporting "commentator" was booted out of the game. what a piece of shit he is.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...hillsborough-hooligan-interview-b2138846.html
    Sky Sports commentator Martin Tyler has been widely criticised after appearing to link the Hillsborough disaster with “other hooligan-related issues” while speaking on BBC Radio .

Tyler’s words on the Today show, therefore, have sparked an immediate backlash as he commented that “football was in a bit of a crisis at that time. We weren’t that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well."

Mayor of Liverpool City Region Steve Rotheram labelled Tyler’s comments “extremely crass” and demanded a retraction. “Even now, people whose careers are built on football still spread these foul smears. I hope there’ll be an apology sharpish,” he wrote on Twitter.

Labour MP for Liverpool Wavertree, Paula Barker, also accused BBC Radio of allowing Tyler to “perpetuate these lies”, while journalists in the region also demanded an apology and criticised the lack of challenge to his “false claim”.

The BBC have since released a short statement apologising for opting to not “robustly challenge” Tyler’s words.

edit: update:
    Now Sky Sports has posted an apology from the commentator himself. Mr Tyler said: "This morning while discussing various crises facing football 30 years ago, I referred to some examples including the Hillsborough disaster and also controversy over hooliganism at matches. These are two separate issues. There is no connection at all between the Hillsborough disaster and hooliganism - I know that, and I was not implying that there was."

He added: "I apologise sincerely sincerely and wholeheartedly for any misunderstanding."

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny enough that's probably the case and I'm sure he did not mean to equate to two. But the problem is he should know better.

12. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    You can't fix stupid...

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

He still feels like a dinosaur in need of a meteor (career speaking).

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Shorthand: I’ll be charitable and call it a misunderstanding because you’re thick, ignorant, gobshite bindippers and, well, I’m Martin Tyler after all.

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    ‘Cept it’s not stupid, it’s malevolent. You can fix that either, but you can call it out.

SamScouse repped this.
  16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I’ve done some work recently for a 3rd party not mentioned anywhere in this thread and I won’t be mentioning them either.

The thinking now is, despite what I’ve said upthread, that Anfield and Real are content but not happy to allow the UEFA investigation to proceed. Apparently both clubs knew/know they could blow the UEFA investigation out of the water with UEFA stacking it with, umm, UEFA people. Their operating model now is that they’ve informed UEFA that the investigation should proceed but both clubs will hammer the f.uck out of UEFA if there’s any hint of bias. The rationale is that to disband this committee and install a new one would take too long. And while that might seem like a climb down, it’s realistic. In ways, Anfield will have more control over proceedings. Maybe.

More than a few law firms are ambulance chasing, looking to sue UEFA/Stade de France/French police etc. While ambulance chasing certainly has negative connotations, this is not the case here. It only increases the pressure on UEFA, but a realistic action of UEFA neither conducting nor releasing the investigation while being sued is also depressingly possible.

Privately, UEFA admit that they have problems and that they f.ucked up, but as predicted, they’re doing their best to pass responsibility and blame to the French. Word is that France won’t see either the Euros or club finals for 10+ years. But money probably will change that. The Rugby WC and the Olympics will be huge factors in any France UEFA rehabilitation.

The ambulance chasers are annoying the f.uck out of UEFA, as it is not used to be called to account in this fashion. The numbers of individuals who have been in contact is being measured in the tens of thousands and part of the ongoing negotiations is whether to consolidate all the lawsuits into one (class action) or to drip drip UEFA into submission. There’s a definite possibility that UEFA will refund all ticket money plus a set fee for all, with extra for those who can prove assault/tear gassing. The thinking is that the French may contribute, but payments would be from UEFA. Liability, public reputation and all that.

It may be quite in the press, it’s far from that behind the scenes.

newterp repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Great stuff Samark. Keep it coming. :)

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He didn't care enough to think about it enough to not swagger into malapropism is probably a more apt way of positing his sociological aspect......

Once people are propositioned enough with problematic associations, they stay in the mind though....

It's like Trump calling central Americans rapists ..... It sticks around. (Although in fairness to Trump, he did seem to have some expertise in that.....)

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
  20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Gonna be great fun when we draw PSG in the CL QF.....

21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Oh, this is good. I would never have imagined this sort of incompetence and subterfuge. That UEFA message blaming the postponed start on late arriving fans? It was pre-prepared, weeks or months in advance.

UEFA had already decided that Liverpool fans were to blame weeks before the game kicked off. Scintillating. You usually have to pay for incompetence like this.

Red Bird repped this.
  22. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    incredible.

The city of liverpool/club should be bringing a suit against UEFA for this.

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow. What next?

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

soon they will blame Liverpool fans for having the temerity to attend the match in the first place - they put themselves at risk after all.

25. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To be honest I'm not sure that is as damning as it seems? If you are well prepared you might have pre-prepared screen announcements for a bunch of different scenarios?