Liverpool All-Time Draft

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by Twenty26Six, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bump, who is up?

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aussie has two picks back to back

3. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone PMd Aussie? Or checked to see his latest log-in times?

Because of the the wierd time differential from here to there, I'll give him another 24 hours.

Only 5-6 picks left boys! Make 'em count!

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aussie's Last Activity: Yesterday 03:28 AM

5. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he doesn't post tonight, we'll skip him.

Can someone send him a PM, I'm pretty busy today? I shouldn't even be checking BS. :)

6. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Done ....

7. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm here lads! Here I go....

8. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    John Thomas "Jack" Cox

[​IMG]

Born in Liverpool, Merseyside, Cox played for South Shore Standard, South Shore F.C., and Blackpool before being signed by Liverpool managers John McKenna and W. E. Barclay in February 1898 for the then-large sum of £150, enabling the Lancashire club to announce a loss of "only" £441 for the season, as opposed to over £1,000 for the previous campaign.[1]

The winger made his debut on 12 March 1898, in a First Division match against Notts County at Anfield in a 2-0 win, which also saw his debut goal for the club. Cox became a regular starter for the Reds on both the left and right flanks, helping them secure their first two championships, in 1901 and 1906.

Although the one who predominantly lined up goals for his teammates to take, Cox, himself, had an eye for the mark and scored 81 goals from his 361 starts. This is a goal every 4.5 games, which is fairly respectable for a wide man. It was this kind of form that caught the eye of the FA, who selected Cox for the British Championship match against Ireland at The Dell, Southampton on 9 March 1901. This match saw England win 3-0, after which he represented England on two further occasions. Cox left Liverpool in 1909, returning to Blackpool, effectively as player-manager

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aussie you are still up ...

10. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    sorry guys pc died last night.

11. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    FERNANDO TORRES

[​IMG]

Position: Striker
    Date of Birth: 20/03/1984
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 12st 4
    1st team games: 29
    1st team goals: 18
    International caps: 43
    International goals: 15
    Former clubs: Atletico Madrid
    Birth Place: Madrid, Spain

Fernando Torres became Liverpool's record signing on July 4, 2007.

The striker had spent the previous 12 years at Atletico Madrid, the club he supported as a boy.

The Spanish giants snapped him up at the age of 11 after he netted 55 goals in his first season at amateur side Rayo 13.

Three years after his arrival Torres was named the best under-14 player in Europe following his performances in the Nike Cup.

He signed his first professional contract in 1999 but had to wait until May 27, 2001 to make his debut against Leganes.

Still, at 17 years and 68 days, he was Atletico's youngest ever player. Within a week he'd scored his first goal in a match against Albacete.

The 2001-02 season saw him net six times in 36 league appearances, helping his side win promotion to La Liga.

Meanwhile, he was still making waves on the international scene. Torres was top scorer and player of the tournament in the 2001 European Under-16 Championships and 2002 European Under-19 Championships, both of which Spain won.

The frontman bagged 13 goals during his first season in the Spanish top flight, earning him a first under-21 cap for his country.

The 2003-04 campaign proved to be a momentous one for Torres. Not only did he score 19 goals in 35 league appearances, but he was also handed the club captaincy. At 19, he was the youngest skipper in Atletico's long and illustrious history.

On top of all this, the youngster was also called up into the senior Spain squad, making his full debut in a friendly with Portugal on September 6, 2003. The following April he scored his first international goal against Italy. He was then part of the Spain squad which travelled to Euro 2004 in Holland and Belgium.

The player nicknamed El Nino (The Kid) because of his youthful appearance was selected for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, where he scored three goals.

The following year, in May 2007, Torres hit the headlines when he revealed the phrase 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside of his captain's armband during a match between Atletico and Real Sociedad. Two months of speculation and paper talk ensued before the striker was finally unveiled at Melwood.

He left Atletico with a record of 82 goals in 214 league appearances.

Torres made his competitive debut for the Reds at Villa Park on August 11, 2007. A week later he bagged his first official goal when Chelsea visited Anfield (though he had already scored in a pre-season friendly versus Shanghai Shenhua).

The centre-forward's apparently seamless transition into English football was highlighted with a spectacular hat-trick when Liverpool travelled to Reading in the third round of the Carling Cup.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No I haven't picked two left backs, Gerry could play either side so I have in my right back spot:

[​IMG]

Gerry Byrne : Defender (1957/58 - 1968/69)
    Date of Birth: 29-08-1938
    Birthplace: Liverpool
    Debut : 28th September 1957 v Charlton Athletic (A) Football League Division Two: Lost 1-5
    1st team games: 329
    1st team goals: 3
    Other clubs: None
    International caps while with Liverpool: 2
    International goals while with Liverpool:
    Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1963/64 & 1965/66, FA Cup 1965, Second Division Championship 1961/62, Charity Shield 1964 (shared), 1965 (shared) & 1966
    The hero of Liverpool's first FA Cup triumph when he played for 117 minutes of the extra-time contest against Leeds at Wembley with a broken collar bone sustained in an early challenge by Bobby Collins.
    The player, his team-mates, manager Bill Shankly and right hand man and physio Bob Paisley kept Byrne's injury a secret from Leeds. Not only did Byrne complete the match and the half-hour extra period but also supplied the cross for Roger Hunt to score the first Liverpool goal in their 2-1 win.

"Gerry's collar bone was split and grinding together yet he played on in agony", said Shankly. "It was a performance of raw courage from the boy". Liverpool-born Byrne joined his home-town club as an amateur and signed professional in 1955. He had been put up for sale when Shankly arrived in December 1959 and one of the new manager's first acts was to remove him from the transfer list.

At home on either full back flank he settled down on the left partnered on the right by Chris Lawler. A solid tackler he was an ever present in the Second Division title winning side in 1962, won League Championship medals in 1964 and 1966 and collected two England caps before retiring through injury in 1969.

13. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My grandmother was a Byrne from Knock in County Mayo -- a lot of family went to Liverpool as well as to the States,. Could very well be a cousin

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you approve of my pick then ;)

My Dad would tell the story of Byrne's bravery in the Cup Final until your ears bled...

15. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah -- typical Mick -- more balls than brains

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Without trying to be unfair, how can anyone pick Torres at the stage?

17. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Its called speculating on the Futures market:D

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not unfair at all. I like Liverbird's response. :)

Hard to judge an "All Time Draft" anyway, but a player who hasn't completed one full season ... despite his obvious impact .... I can see your point and it's hard to argue against.

Let's keep this draft moving....

19. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the Cup Final from '65 as a DivX file on my laptop.

I've seen the collision, and it is no joke. It's funny how the trainer is attending to his shin, and Byrne is rubbing his collarbone and grimacing. ;)
    You could tell for the rest of the game that he had issues using the arm.

20. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    IMO Torres is the future of Liverpool. Ask me the same question in 5 years after a couple of titles and another champions league win plus a couple of scoring titles. :D

21. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the potential is there and there aren't a ton of forwards left that would be worth picking. Cisse anybody? Haha, I will get my pick done tonight, I have been really busy with my real world commitments.

22. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually thinking of taking Torres as a late gamble. I figured that, if he was paired with Dalglish, he'd be very effective.

Who is up? Dakota?

23. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I struggled with this pick forever. I had no idea who I wanted to pick and haven't heard much of Raisbeck before I saw him as a defender on the 100 PWSTK. I did research on him and some others and picked him.

[​IMG]

Alex Raisbeck

Date of Birth: December 26, 1878
    Place of Birth: Polmont, Stirlingshire, Scotland

First Team Club Appearances: 340
    First Team Club Goals: 21

First Team Country (Scotland) Appearances: 8
    First Team Country Goals: 0

A handsome Scot he was one of Liverpool's earliest stars, his career straddling the end of the 19th century and the start of the 20th. As captain he cut a dashing and imposing figure at centre half for club and country.
    Although at a precisely recorded 5ft 9¾ins he was not the tallest of men he weighed almost 13 stone and was a commanding defender, rated Britain's finest of his generation in his position. A contemporary sportswriter said of him: "A man of Raisbeck's proportions, style and carriage would rivet attention anywhere. He is a fine and beautifully balanced figure".

With his fair hair and moustache Raisbeck's distinguished countenance made him one of football's first pin-up boys and he was the first Liverpool skipper to lift the Championship trophy in 1901. He led them to a further title triumph in 1906.

Raisbeck was signed from Stoke City by Liverpool manager Tom Watson in 1898 for £350, then a considerable sum of money. In an era when some players were unpaid Raisbeck earned the maximum weekly wage of £4. However, the club supplemented that sum by also giving him the job of bill inspector, overseeing the public hoardings and notice boards advertising Liverpool matches!

He died on March 12, 1949.

[youtube]KdDNYMLBWcQ[/youtube]

24. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is it possible to trade a pick? Because that would be handy.

25. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, no. :)