Liverpool Academy & Reserves Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, May 27, 2016.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    everybody's eyes. I would imagine.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  3. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've signed four new Academy players, midfielder from Derby, fullback from Birmingham, center back from Cents Vigo and goalkeeper from Celtic

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hopefully we'll see 1 of them make the grade .... developing yoots is like buying a lottery ticket.

5. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Obviously the odds are always that a player doesn't make it rather than him making

6. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We've got TAA and Jones in the first team now. Elliott likely on the fringes next season.
    This day in age that is a lot of homegrown players to have.

I think a solid goal for the Academy is to produce a TAA every ten years - that star that slots right into the first team squad and is a mainstay for some time. Jones could very well be a second addition to this group.
    Every 3-4 years have a player capable of being on the periphery of the first team that can play some minutes but just isn't going to cut it here long-term and is sold. I think of someone like Coady or Martyn Kelly.
    And every 1-2 seasons see someone like Harry Wilson make a couple of League/FA cup appearances, get loaned out, then sold for a nice little fee that funds the Academy for a couple years.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool youngster Dominic Corness has signed his first professional contract for the Reds, the club has officially confirmed.

The 17-year-old hails from the local area and joined the Premier League champions at the age of five, plying his trade at old Academy until very recently.

Corness is an accomplished member of Liverpool’s youth set-up, representing the U18s this season and notably scoring directly from a corner-kicks twice in one game.

9. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    YNWA Rob and speker repped this.
  10. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good article on an under-reported subject. I'd given up on The Echo in the last year but this article shows a little initiative. Thanks for posting it.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A number of Liverpool fans have taken to Twitter to praise Jake Cain’s efforts for the Reds Under-23s today.

The 19-year-old came through the ranks at Anfield and has been superb at U23s level this season, with seven goals and six assists from just 15 appearances. Cain helped Barry Lewtas’ side register a superb 4-0 win over Arsenal’s U23s today, scoring a brace and claiming an assist against a side which featured Gunners first-teamer Reiss Nelson.

https://tbrfootball.com/dont-need-h...ans-blown-away-by-19-year-olds-efforts-today/

12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I watched this game and Cain was very good. He reminds me of a young Peter Beardsley.

13. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched as well. It's kind of an awkward deals with youth teams because at top clubs, you know most of the players are never going to make it, at least not with that club's first team. Cain is one of the better players in this group but I'd say it's unlikely he ever becomes a first team regular. Billy Koumetio who played today, got a lot of attention during preseason but I'd say he's unlikely to make it either. The only two on this squad who I think have a chance are Leighton Clarkson (who missed out either through injury or being with the first team squad tomorrow) and Layton Stewart, who scored the opening goal. Stewart is way off the pace athletically, having just turned 18 or 19, but he does seem to have a special quality in front of goal. Even so, it's probably 50/50 at best to think he makes the first team.

It's just so much harder for youth players at big clubs. You think of Trent and it really took someone like Jurgen showing a lot of patience with him to allow fo rhis growth into a top players. Curtis is in the midst of that now. But normally especially with the fan base, there won't be any patience at all to let a young players learn his way with the top group (think of how people are ready to jettison Kabak after his first few games - same with Neco Williams earlier.

So for young Jake and all the others, I'd love to see them make it here, but the Math says the odds are stacked against them.

14. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [QUOTE="YNWA Rob, post: 39348829, member: 354978".]
    ...I'd love to see them make it here, but the Math says the odds are stacked against them.[/QUOTE]

But Klopp...

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    speker repped this.
  16. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is a bit of bad news re a very promising young player.

Liverpool FC confirm Academy striker Layton Stewart is to begin a period of rehabilitation after sustaining an ACL injury.

The 18-year-old, who had netted 17 goals at U18 and U23 level this season, had to be stretchered off the field during last Saturday's Premier League 2 encounter with West Ham United.

17. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The U18's play Man U in the Youth Cup at 10.00am est .

Lfctv will be showing it live.

18. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool U18s defeated Manchester United 1-0 and advance in the FA Youth Cup on Saturday afternoon.

A Tyler Morton 16th-minute header was the winner.

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hahahahahaha...

You’re always setting yourself up for a fall if you start any kind of trash talk before a big game, and Man United starlet Charlie McNeill must be wishing he kept his mouth shut a few weeks ago.

He was talking about facing off against Liverpool in the FA Youth Cup, and he was quoted as saying “Hopefully we can keep progressing and we can win that game to rub it in Liverpool’s face.”

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with saying that you want to keep winning and progressing in the cup, but talking about rubbing it in the face of a rival is just asking for trouble if you lose the game.

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Enjoying some great work ethic and technical skills by the U18s against Wolves..

Won the penalty but that looked a dodgy decision.

22. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    U18's playing Leicester in the FA Youth Cup quarter final today. The Reds have a very talented young squad even with Kaide Gordon out (cuptied).

Davies, Bradley , Norris ,Quansah (c), Koumetio, Stephenson,Corness, Morton, Woltman,Balagizi, Musialowski

23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    James Balagizi scored a hat-trick as Liverpool U18s advanced to the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup with a 5-1 win away at Leicester City on Friday night.

Max Woltman also bagged a brace in the second half of the fifth-round contest to set up a home tie with Arsenal in the next stage of the prestigious competition.